Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Losing patience with McGhee

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You lot are terrible, I deliberately didn't even mention Calderwood in the O/P.  ;D

I'm basing my stance on McGhee only being able to piss out of the cock he's got, and at the moment he's pissing on his shoes.

But instead he made them captain and vice captain.

Sorry that was my fault  :hammer:

I thought after we got past getting players sent off every week that McGhee was beginning to improve the team, play some decent (reasonable) passing football and even look solid at the back.  Quite what has happened I'm not sure but after those first timid steps forward we seem to have gone crashing backwards.  Amazing to think 2 games ago we were basking in 3 wins out of 4 including two demolitions of Hearts.

Have we really suddenly become so bad over night? 

Were those decent results merely papering over the cracks? 

Are we just going to be faced with a horrifically inconsistent season?

The biggest problem in the two games I have seen recently (Killie and St Mirren) have been a total lack of width, especially on the left;  Ilfil and Grassi's inability to play football; and a total lack of cutting edge up front.

Our lack of width hasn't been addressed and although MM was allegedly allowed to put in a bid for O'Brien it was clearly a pitiful amount and surely no more than a gesture from the board.  Without Pawlett or Aluko we really have nothing coming from out wide and there is no way we can rely on them all season.

Hopefully Paterson and Zander will shore up the defence and mean we are less reliant on Grassi and Ilfil but the celtic and motherwell games aside this year we haven't really been to bad here.

As for up front time will tell if MacLean is going to be the goal scorer we've been crying out for for years but I guess if he has ended up at us we know what the answer will be.

However despite all that the biggest problem has perhaps been the shameful performances by our so called senior players....yes that's supposedly you Kerr and McDonald (and until yesterday Miller).  As a result we have been woefully weak in the middle of the park and had to rely on a 16 year old to try and do two jobs in there.

Despite a few glimpses of promise (undefeated v rangers, hammering hearts, pawlett, fyvie, paton and an improvement in our passing at times) the season has been a fucking mess since a typically farcical pre-season.

McGhee HAS to win on Saturday, there are no two ways about that.  What happens after that, with Hibs and Celtic on the horizon, fuck knows.

I think I'll be popping into McDonalds on Saturday to pick up 20 or so job applications which will then be put into a nice brown envelope, marked FAO Mr M McGhee and handed into reception at Raith.

Remember and pick an application form from Jimmy Chungs too  :thumbsup:

Sacking another manager wont solve things. Getting the board to fuck might. At the moment I would just like to moan about the JMG crowd.  IN PARTICULAR that chairman cant from the afc trust "supporters" group who went to the bbc with his letter of complaint aboout JC last season. I cant see how the board could not have been influenced by that publicity

I think I'll be popping into McDonalds on Saturday to pick up 20 or so job applications which will then be put into a nice brown envelope, marked FAO Mr M McGhee and handed into reception at Raith.

You should get the P&J to cover it. You could get a nice shot of a bunch of clowns handing the forms over at reception, with MiniJC hiding behind a banner, made out of post-it notes, saying 'Your Manager Works at MacDonalds'.

That's be just sthuper.

Without Pawlett and Aluko, we are so unbelievably short of talent on the wings it is a joke. No creativity or imagination or anybody that can beat a man. Using 4 central midfielders in the 4 midfield berths is not the answer.

What is wrong with Pawlett? And when is Aluko back?!

Just looking at the table and the fixtures there, and it really is possible that by the end of this month we could be in deep, deep shit.

Have we got the players to keep us out of trouble? Worrying thing for me is that we've been relying so much on the teenagers, if they lose form at this vital time in the season where will we be?

No goal threat at the moment, hardly anything you could call a 'Plan B', experienced players going missing against mediocre opposition, no depth in the squad, dwindling support, and still all quiet on the pie-in-the-sky stadium plans.

Best news and biggest cause for celebration we've had so far this year was selling our top scorer.  ???

Happy days?  :(

I hear Kerr and McDonald were yet again atrocious tonight.

Shame we have absolutely no options in there

Kerr and McDonald we're atrocious tonight, although McDonald was played out right in a position which he not once looked comfortable in, he did improve slightly in the second half, and i mean very slightly.

With kerr it seems like the captaincy has proved far far too much for him, far from the player he can be.

It says it all that i scored an invite to my works corporate  table but that performance has me that fucking raging i've not even managed to take advantage of the masses of free booze available.  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

getting rid of MM ain't the answer, neither is getting rid of the board.

the only real good points to come out of the season so far have been the potential shown by our younger players. unfortunately time and time again our so called senior players have failed to step-up to the plate. why Kerr >:D is captain beats me, he's the invisible man and along with old mcdonald >:D shouldn't be getting a game for a sunday league pub team, let alone aberdeen.

unless our senior players get their finger oot there arse then our season really is fucked.

:hammer:

I want Aberdeen to play a passing game of football, that is exciting and entertaining, and ultimately leads to silverware, that does not involve turgid defence from the 18 yard line pumping long balls to a hold up player who throws himself down at every opportunity looking to cheat a foul.

We are still a long way off that, but the wheels are in motion.

:lolabove:

The only 'wheel that has been set in motion' is that we are pumping long balls to Mackie.

Truly awful stuff to watch and very frustrating.

What was his chat?

"We didn't play well enough. Defensively, we were poor in the sense that we were uncertain at times.

"We allowed the big lad to disrupt us and that then riddled the team with uncertainty and our general performance deteriorated.

"It was a combination of the defensive performance undermining the rest of us, poor finishing towards the end and bad decision making which caused us to lose the game.

"I feel it's one step forward and three back.

"To be so abject in these two games, it's not about effort - they've put in the effort, but they're just not channelling it to play as a team."

Usual managerpishtalk.............

I hear Kerr and McDonald were yet again atrocious tonight.

Shame we have absolutely no options in there

I'm not sure your second point is true.  Fyvie and Young have more drive than Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee, and should play ahead of them.  Sadly Fyvie was looking a bit out of depth last night and was hooked.  We can't rely on him every week, he's far too young.

Whilst it's frustrating as hell to see us struggling against teams like Falkirk MM needs to be given time. Imo it's unfair to judge him half way through his first season. Even if we finish in the bottom six I still won't be hitting the panic button, I know people dislike the term and disagree with it but I genuinely believe this is a transitional season. 

McGhee and Calderwood are very different in style imo. McGhee seems to like his teams to play one way, a very direct high tempo passing game.  Calderwood was more of a mixed bag depending on the opposition, at times we played some decent stuff on the deck and others we played the long ball.  My point is it will take time for the players to adapt to McGhee's ways, he's said himself it's been difficult due to the players being so attached to JC's methods etc.

Roll on Saturday and keep the faith.

McGhee and Calderwood are very different in style imo. McGhee seems to like his teams to play one way, a very direct high tempo passing game.  Calderwood was more of a mixed bag depending on the opposition, at times we played some decent stuff on the deck and others we played the long ball.  My point is it will take time for the players to adapt to McGhee's ways, he's said himself it's been difficult due to the players being so attached to JC's methods etc.

Roll on Saturday and keep the faith.

They're professional footballers (by name, at least), what McGhee is asking them to do should not be beyond them. He's asking them to pass and move more than the previous regime. They are the basics of playing football, if they can not handle that so called transition after almost 7 months then I suggest that they are neither talented enough nor clever enough to play for us.

Zander is the closest thing we have to a leader and yet he was overlooked for the captaincy, at a push I'd even be more content with Foster as our captain, because other senior players - Kerr, McDonald, Mulgrew - just don't want to know.  These are supposedly the guys that Pawlett, Fyvie and Paton should look up to? Frightening.

It's a bad day where I'd advocate starting Young or Duff or possibly both in a crunch cup game but at least I'd know that both would fight for us. 

Too many of these clowns are a waste of a jersey, a jersey they're not fit to wear.

I haven't seen any attempt at passing and moving in the last two games, I'm not sure where this "very direct high tempo passing game" is coming from, as I think its a myth.  I've not seen anything to suggest we're playing any differently to last season.

We knocked it about well in the first 20 mins or so of the game on Saturday.

Then it stopped and never started again.

Kow - That's how McGhee likes his teams to play, I didn't say we'd been playing like that.

BB - I take your point but to be honest I'm not altogether sure it's as simple as not being able to perform the basics or being too thick to.  There could be any number of underlying factors contributing to our fuck awful form. What I will say (and it's sheer specualtion on my part) is a lot of those players have look uninterested since McGhee took over.  Like I say that's just an observation on my part, if it's true though then the quicker the likes of MacDonald etc fuck off the better.

I still maintain it's too early to judge the manager.

Kow - That's how McGhee likes his teams to play, I didn't say we'd been playing like that.

BB - I take your point but to be honest I'm not altogether sure it's as simple as not being able to perform the basics or being too thick to.  There could be any number of underlying factors contributing to our fuck awful form. What I will say (and it's sheer specualtion on my part) is a lot of those players have look uninterested since McGhee took over.  Like I say that's just an observation on my part, if it's true though then the quicker the likes of MacDonald etc fuck off the better.

I still maintain it's too early to judge the manager.

I think in the case of Kerr he is just incapable of completing any sort of pass, so maybe that's just a lack of talent, but when that player is your central midfielder and captain, i.e. the focal point of your team, then you've got big, big problems.

I am not calling for the manager's head, far from it. But it doesn't make it easy to have much faith when guys like Kerr and The Invisible Man get picked regardless of form.  They seem unmotivated as you point out, continually picking them on that form isn't going to change their levels of motivation.