Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Good vs Evil - Saturday LIVE on Sky Sports

Might as well start early for this one.

Any word on Aluko or Fyvie?  I suspect will be too soon for Fyvie (although Panda on P&B was suggesting he would be back for this) but hopefully we can have aluko down one wing and pawlett down the other. Be interesting who we play in the middle for this one with McDonald suspended.

Referee is Craig Thomson (best of a bad bunch  :o )

Suspect it will be another draw, especially as the huns are still unbeaten domestically....how the fuck have they managed that?  However lets hope that Bougherra is banned by Wattie for being a naughty boy and that Bodypen injures himself tomorrow

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many questions about our squad, there seems to be little week to week consistency and you wonder which half of our schizophrenic players are going to turn up. Which makes it really annoying going into this weekend as Rangers are fucking shiter than they have ever been for years.

Q. After Gary McDonald's red card should there be a change to the rules?

A. I think there has to be rules because there are extremes in situations where players run away with their shirts off. The other extreme is like Gary McDonald where he pulls the jersey up over his head in front of his own fans. I think this is the least serious incident that can occur when a player celebrates like this. It's a difficult one, Gary was unaware that simply pulling it over your face would result in a booking. We've got to be up to speed in terms of the rules and we weren't on that one. One of the things I think could be changed is when a player is sent off for something like that, I don't think he should miss the next game, I think it's perhaps enough of a punishment to be sent off in the game itself. Possibly the referee could make a recommendation and there could be a slight rule change there.

Q. In many ways a pleasing performance on Saturday do you think the team is getting better with each game?

A. Yes I do. I'm not sure how often we can keep saying that, you don't get better every game over 38 games, but certainly the general principle is that we are improving. We are improving in different games and in different ways but generally we are emerging from the team we were 6-8 weeks ago and we look more of a team now.

Q. Dundee United's win over Celtic means the Old Firm are still within striking distance - does that encourage you?

A. Not half, but I only heard part of the game on the radio and the comment I heard was that United weren't doing enough in the game and then got the two late goals from set pieces which they are great at doing. The important thing is that Celtic aren't coming to United and taking three or four goals, they are leaving teams with chances and that is encouraging for all of us.

Q. It's a tough game coming up on Saturday are the Old Firm as far ahead in terms of quality as they used to be?

A. We go in to every match believing we can win it. I took Motherwell to Parkhead where we had Bob Malcolm sent off but we still managed to beat Celtic. It happens every season, somewhere along the line Celtic and Rangers will lose. But they are still the teams to beat and I will be very surprised if anyone finishes above them in the SPL.

Q. Mark Kerr has been quoted as saying he'd like to stay at the club beyond his current deal - I take it that is something you'd like to look in to in the future?

A. Well it is something we've been trying to do for weeks and weeks and we now have a date on it. We're meeting with the agent who represents Mark Kerr, Lee Miller and Gary McDonald on Thursday in Glasgow and this is the first time we've had the opportunity to meet with their agent like this.

Q. Steven MacLean is another player who has been linked, is there anything in that one?

A. Apparently he has been told he can leave Plymouth on a free, but as I mentioned to someone, free does not always mean free because he still has a contract and if they don't pay it up in full then someone else will have to match what he is currently on. If Plymouth pay him up and allow him to go, then he might come in to our affordability, so if he does that then certainly he is a player we'd consider.

Q. What is the rest of the injury news?

A. Zander (Diamond) and Tommy (Wright) are off unwell, but Zander's injury is progressing well, he has started running and hopefully he will be able to join in with the sessions next week and we look forward to that. Sone (Aluko) and Fraser (Fyvie) have been out on the training ground doing some jogging but I doubt any of those two will be back for Saturday.

Although I'm decidedly unimpressed by McGhee's reign so far, based purely on results before MiniJC starts. I have a feeling we'll win this one. Surely luck at some point has to come in to play, we are due a win and the huns are due a loss. 2 -0.

we certainly haven't had the rub of the green much this season.

How about a dodgy pen for us followed by a perfectly good goal disallowed by them....all in the last 5 mins.

we certainly haven't had the rub of the green much this season.

How about a dodgy pen for us followed by a perfectly good goal disallowed by them....all in the last 5 mins.

Maybe with a "no way could it not be given" penalty for us after 8 minutes of injury time (to make it 2) just to confirm the mason has failed to get the Huns a draw.

Might as well start early for this one.

Any word on Aluko or Fyvie?  I suspect will be too soon for Fyvie (although Panda on P&B was suggesting he would be back for this) but hopefully we can have aluko down one wing and pawlett down the other. Be interesting who we play in the middle for this one with McDonald suspended.

Referee is Craig Thomson (best of a bad bunch  :o )

Suspect it will be another draw, especially as the huns are still unbeaten domestically....how the fuck have they managed that?  However lets hope that Bougherra is banned by Wattie for being a naughty boy and that Bodypen injures himself tomorrow

Please, remind me when he's managed to score against us up at Pittodrie?  ;)

Unfortunately the pessimist in DerBomber has taken over. I think, at this point, in time we shall get beat. The good news about them being skint seems to have galvanised the huns and is making them play better rather than worse and we, at this moment in time, are hardly setting the heather alight. I think we shall get beat 2-1. It is a game that will be won in the centre of midfield and ours has hardly been inspiring this season.

In saying all of that come friday I will be buzzing and after a couple of beers on saturday morning will no doubt have totally revised my opinion to "we're gan ti beat these bastards the day. I'm awa ti i bookies ti pit some money on it."

As a side note what will Lee Mcuntoch do in this game to make us hate him even more? I think he will elbow pawlett and escape any form of punishment.

After the way he had the better of him at Ibrox I'd like to see Paton on the left wing going up against Whittaker.

Is Maguire back for this one? Maybe put him in up front with Miller and have Pawlett and Paton on either wing.

No idea who could partner Kerr in midfield though, I can see it being Foster.

After the way he had the better of him at Ibrox I'd like to see Paton on the left wing going up against Whittaker.

Indeed, after the last time it has to be done.

I would love it if we just went at them from kick off and try to destroy them, as they can be. None of this possession shite and passing the ba aboot, get right intae them!

Is Maguire back for this one? Maybe put him in up front with Miller and have Pawlett and Paton on either wing.

No idea who could partner Kerr in midfield though, I can see it being Foster.

Was going to say the same thing about Whittaker... he got absolutely ripped to shreds last night and is a clear weak (missing) link in their side.  David Weir is also pretty woeful.  McCullch and Thomson were fairly putting it about last night, hope someone sorts them out early on Saturday before they injure someone.

Don't want Maguire in for this one, until he learns that playing for us is about Aberdeen FC and not about him trying to look like Maradona with a shite boyband haircut.

Was going to say the same thing about Whittaker... he got absolutely ripped to shreds last night and is a clear weak (missing) link in their side.  David Weir is also pretty woeful.  McCullch and Thomson were fairly putting it about last night, hope someone sorts them out early on Saturday before they injure someone.

Don't want Maguire in for this one, until he learns that playing for us is about Aberdeen FC and not about him trying to look like Maradona with a shite boyband haircut.

Suppose he could go with Mackie and Miller up front or go with a 5 man midfield.

With at least youngster probably going to start on saturday, I just hope that Mccuntloch doesnt do his usual and take 1 of them out.

Weir is slow and clumsy so would start with a pacey forward(paton/bebo) and tell him just to run at him with miller supporting.

With at least youngster probably going to start on saturday, I just hope that Mccuntloch doesnt do his usual and take 1 of them out.

Weir is slow and clumsy so would start with a pacey forward(paton/bebo) and tell him just to run at him with miller supporting.

I just have a sneaky feeling there's going to be a bit of thuggery going on. Pawlett's fragile and important so I can imagine him getting snapped.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1498503?UserKey=

By          Alex Martin

Published:26/11/2009

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee gave Rangers’ ChampionsLeague mauling by Stuttgart a wide berth on Tuesday and is putting allhis focus on defeating the Light Blues for the first time as a managersince his return to Scotland.

Rangers’ midweek defeat by the Germans all but broughtan end to Scottish involvement in European club football for anotherseason and McGhee now aims to add to the Ibrox misery.

It is a fixture which requires no hype and McGhee said:“I wasn’t at the Ibrox game because whatever happened it would have norelation to what will happen at Pittodrie on Saturday.

“It was an irrelevance. I watched it on TV but it didnot have any bearing on our game against them other than perhaps ifthere are injuries or fatigue.â€

The intense dislike between both sets of supporters wasnot around in McGhee’s days as an Aberdeen player. He said: “It’s a biggame for us and for the supporters and it’s a big game for me because Ihaven’t beaten Rangers since I returned to Scotland.

“It was always a good game to play in, there were lots of games at Pittodrie which we won convincingly.

“Alex Ferguson knew a lot of his Aberdeen teams hadsupported either Celtic or Rangers and he would feed on the fact wewere not playing for either of them. He would motivate us to provepeople wrong. He fed us well.â€

The landscape of SPL football is changing with the OldFirm’s financial problem drawing them closer to the rest and McGheesaid: “There was a time when I was down south and would look for theresults on a Saturday night and wonder how many goals Rangers andCeltic had won by.

“Sure enough Henrik Larsson would be hitting hat-tricksand there would be 3-0 and 4-0 wins and Rangers would be doing similar.Those times seems to have gone and there are hardly any teams getting areal thrashing from the Old Firm.

“Other teams are now making themselves a lot moredifficult to beat against Rangers and Celtic and it gives you a betterchance to win the game.

“As long as you keep it tight and you can do somethingat set-pieces or your star player can produce a bit of magic, then youcan win against the Old Firm.

“Teams are now well organised. The coaching now isslightly different. Equally, I don’t think the Old Firm are as prolificas they were seven or eight years ago.â€