Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Severin leaving

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that screaming and shouting isn't all the captaincy entails! But that's what 'many'  ::) i.e. the general consensus were crying out for. (pun intended)

BOB DYLAN!  ::) Who the f*cking f*ck f*ck were the 'many'  ::) that said Anderson wasn't a good captain because he doesn't shout?  ::) And why the f*ck are you arguing for the 'general consensus'  ::) if you agree it's stupid?

Is this the same 'many'  ::) people that didn't think Liverpool would win the league?  ::)

We need someone who gets stuck in but never looses his cool with the ref.  Someone who is experienced and who knows the other teams, grounds and competitions inside and out.  Someone who lives and breathes AFC and has the club at heart.

A "Mr Aberdeen" if you will.   :thumbsup:

Jamie Langfield?!

or Me, I seem to fit all of the above perfectly!  :thumbsup:

Severin in Dons waiting game

CAPTAIN IN NO HURRY TO initiate further negotiations PREFERRING TO CONCENTRATE ON TEAM

By Michael Gannon

Published: 05/02/2009

More Pictures

Aberdeen have yet to offer a new contract to club captain Scott Severin. The 29-year-old is one of five Dons players coming to the end of their deals in June.

Despite Reds manager Jimmy Calderwood fearing Severin would be drawn to the English Championship for his final lucrative contract, there has yet to be an offer made to the former Hearts captain. Jamie Smith, Darren Mackie, Derek Young and Lee Mair are all free agents in the summer and are in discussions with Dons director of football Willie Miller.

They have been made offers but Miller has warned the club will not pay over the odds to retain their ser-vices.

Severin, who was manager Calderwood’s first signing, on a free transfer from the Edinburgh side in 2004, is in no hurry to initiate further negotiations, preferring to focus on Aberdeen’s attempt to finish third in the SPL and win the Scottish Cup.

The Scotland international turns 30 on February 15 and has to decide if he wants one final pay day either in England or elsewhere in the SPL.

Severin’s agent, Darren Jackson, was in the north-east last week, but it was to meet Dons youngster Peter Pawlett, rather than the club captain.

Jackson said: “There has not been a contract offer from Aberdeen yet.

“There are no talks scheduled but I am sure they will take place sooner rather than later.

“There will be clubs who are looking at Scott but we are not going to entertain those thoughts until after speaking to Aberdeen.

“If Scott decides to stay, that will be the end of it but if he decides he wants to go elsewhere then we will look at his options.

“I am not approaching any clubs and I am not inviting any approaches until we have spoken to Aberdeen. Scott is happy.

“He is content to concentrate on playing and we will hold discussions soon enough.â€

The Dons are hoping to have defender Zander Diamond back for this weekend’s Scottish Cup fifth-round tie against East Fife at Pittodrie.

The centre back missed last weekend’s SPL defeat at Falkirk after suffering a leg injury against Rangers the previous week.

Fellow central defender Andrew Considine is available again after serving a one-match suspension but long-term absentee Smith remains out. The 28-year-old is making progress and has taken part in recent training sessions but will not be risked at this stage.

So it was all lies then? I thought the press had reported him as having rejected a contract offer from us?

Aberdeen have yet to offer a new contract to club captain Scott Severin.

but the article also says

are in discussions with Dons director of football Willie Miller.

and

They have been made offers but Miller has warned the club will not pay over the odds to retain their ser-vices.

so which line is true?

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1072808

ABERDEEN FC today killed off reports linking Scott Severin with a move to Championship side Burnley.

Dons captain Severin is out of contract at the end of the season and is free to talk with other clubs.

It has been reported that Burnley boss Owen Coyle is tracking Severin and is ready to secure the defender on a pre-contract agreement.

But Aberdeen FC director of football Willie Miller, pictured, said: “There has been no contact from Burnley about Scott Severin.

“Burnley have made no inquiries about our captain.â€

Aberdeen remain keen to retain the Scotland cap who was Jimmy Calderwood’s first signing, back in June 2004.

“At the moment we are in talks with Severin about his contract situation and those are going well,†said Miller.

“As club captain he is an integral part of our squad.

“The talks are ongoing with Severin although they could last for a while, but the fans should certainly not worry about the situation.â€

Aberdeen FC have yet to formally offer Severin a new deal.

At 29 this summer could be the last chance of a lucrative move to the English leagues for Severin, following in the footsteps of Russell Anderson, Chris Clark, Michael Hart and Barry Nicholson.

Former Aberdeen FC skipper Anderson is on loan at Burnley from Premier League outfit Sunderland.

Currently in the hunt for a promotion play-off berth Burnley are a club on the rise under Coyle.

This season they have shocked Premier League outfits Fulham, Chelsea and Arsenal in the League Cup and West Bromwich Albion in the FA Cup.

“Hopefully we can get Severin and the other players out of contract on new deals,†said Miller.

Lee Mair and Derek Young are expected to be the latest Dons players to commit their future to the club by penning new deals later this week.

Burnley were unavailable to comment on the speculation.

Lee Mair, Derek Young and Darren Mackie all signing new deals.

Cause for a celebration, me thinks.

And by 'celebration' I mean 'accept the brutal pummeling of any dreams I might have had of glory this season, next season, or any other season that involves Dazzlin' as one of our main strikers and Young as our midfield dynamo'.

I understand they're cheap as a Regent Quay Hoor, but they also play fitba like they're Regent Quay Hoors inna.

Why not just get rid of the Dazzler and the Asian, and bring in a couple of kids who will be just as cheap, probably just as ineffective, but at least said kids will have some kind of potential?

Or why not bring in a couple of Regent Quay Hoors?

I fucking despair when I see 1st division shite like that two getting games because "They try really hard". Actually, I tell a lie, Young isnae even 1st division shite... he was released by Thistle.

Lee Mair, Derek Young and Darren Mackie all signing new deals.

Cause for a celebration, me thinks.

And by 'celebration' I mean 'accept the brutal pummeling of any dreams I might have had of glory this season, next season, or any other season that involves Dazzlin' as one of our main strikers and Young as our midfield dynamo'.

I understand they're cheap as a Regent Quay Hoor, but they also play fitba like they're Regent Quay Hoors inna.

Why not just get rid of the Dazzler and the Asian, and bring in a couple of kids who will be just as cheap, probably just as ineffective, but at least said kids will have some kind of potential?

Or why not bring in a couple of Regent Quay Hoors?

I fucking despair when I see 1st division shite like that two getting games because "They try really hard". Actually, I tell a lie, Young isnae even 1st division shite... he was released by Thistle.

It's the age old arguement surrounding the Dazzler but you've got to realise that there's no lump sum of money sitting in the bank to buy a better striker.

If it's a kid that you're after, who will be just as cheap and probably just as ineffective then we've already got that in Maguire.  Shades of shite in otherwords.

But at least the Dazzler does the hard work, chases balls and knocks fuck out of the opposition's back 4.  Something that Miller the great white hope will never do, nor Maguire.

It may just be that Miller's having such a good spell because he has someone alongside him to do all that.  The problem is that when either/or is injured then we'll be royally fucked.  Unless of course Wright has realised he's not taking part in a game of volleyball.

I'd have Mackie in my team before Maguire, without question.  Derek Young and Lee Mair are both squad players, capable of doing a job if one of the first-picks is injured, but I'd imagine none of them are breaking the bank and that's why the club are happy to keep them on board.  I think it was obvious these guys would be happy to stay at Pittodrie.

Seve on the other hand...

You are kidding, right?

Why?

If you've got someone alongside you hassling defenders, stretching play, making space for you or doing all the running then wouldn't that be a benifit?

Two players playing in the same position doing the exact same job as each other doesn't always work.  Look at Gerrard and Lampard when they play for England.

(yes I can see the difference between G&L and M&M)

If you've got someone alongside you hassling defenders, stretching play, making space for you or doing all the running then wouldn't that be a benifit?

Yes, of course it would  :thumbsup:, but Miller's all round play has improved no end, and that includes everything you've said above, plus his finishing seems to have returned as well.