Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Severin leaving

Mixed feelings about this one really.

I think Severin has declined since being made captain, something of a burden for him.

He has been very good this year but if players don't want to play for Aberdeen then they have to get moved on ASAP.

If we got a bit of money for him now then that will be his and JdV's wages available to try and get someone in before the window shuts.

Diamond has been getting groomed as captain for months now. Been a pundit on Setanta and is always on their interviews they show before the game.

Add that to the big performances this season and there is no doubt in my mind he will be the next captain of Aberdeen.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people on here are mixing the Seve we first signed and the one we've had for the past 2 or 3 seasons.  He stalled over contract negotiations before and nobody came in for him, he's not had a sniff of the Scotland squad in that time and his name is never banded about for a move to the Glasgow parasites like Miller, Zander or Aluko.

If our club captain thinks Hibs is the way forward then I say we need a new captain with more ambition.  Whether he stays or not.

I think a lot of people on here are mixing the Seve we first signed and the one we've had for the past 2 or 3 seasons.

What about the Severin of this year?  That's the one that matters, and the one that I'm referring to.  I'd rather he was playing in our side than for someone else.

He stalled over contract negotiations before and nobody came in for him, he's not had a sniff of the Scotland squad in that time and his name is never banded about for a move to the Glasgow parasites like Miller, Zander or Aluko.

Aluko going to the Old Firm?!?  Most moves that are touted in the press are utter sh*te so to use that as basis for one side of a debate is completely pointless.

As for the Scotland squad point, we all know how Aberdeen players are treated when it comes to selection, and to be fair to Severin he's up against some really good players for a place in the Scotland midfield (Ferguson, Fletcher, Brown, etc.).

Also, how'd you know no-one came in for him?  Just because it's not in the press doesn't mean there was no interest.

If our club captain thinks Hibs is the way forward then I say we need a new captain with more ambition.  Whether he stays or not.

The only person that's mentioned Hibs is you.  :-\

Diamond should have been captain before Seve anyway.

No he shouldn't. I am thoroughly unconvinced of his captaincy material even now.

Seve will be a great loss and has been a superb signing though I can understand the feeling of somehow not completely fulfilling his promise.

If he leaves at the end of the season expect him to turn up at either United or Hearts, I would be astounded if any Championship teams take a punt on him and should he end up at either of those clubs, he's fucked up. Step down, big step down. Then again, I never credited the guy with any intelligence.

No he shouldn't. I am thoroughly unconvinced of his captaincy material even now.

Seve will be a great loss and has been a superb signing though I can understand the feeling of somehow not completely fulfilling his promise.

If he leaves at the end of the season expect him to turn up at either United or Hearts, I would be astounded if any Championship teams take a punt on him and should he end up at either of those clubs, he's fucked up. Step down, big step down. Then again, I never credited the guy with any intelligence.

He's a damn sight better than Seve!

What about the Severin of this year?  That's the one that matters, and the one that I'm referring to.  I'd rather he was playing in our side than for someone else.

I don't think he's been a stand-out other than the last couple games, which funnily enough coincides with him looking for a new contract.  Up until then he was making the same silly mistakes as the rest of the back line, which saw us loose the first load of games.  In otherwords I think Andy Considine could fill his shoes quite easily and for half the speculated wages.

Seve hasn't scored in God knows how long.  Zander, Andy and Charlie all have which leaves him in the same bucket as Foster.  His long throws never seem to cause any problems for the opposition so I really don't think I'd loose too much sleep if he was playing for someone else.  Kerr and McDonald have replaced him and Nicolson in the middle of the park and I'd say that he'd struggle to get a game there now in front of those two.

[quote author=??? link=topic=7453.msg115097#msg115097 date=1233056451]Aluko going to the Old Firm?!?  Most moves that are touted in the press are utter sh*te so to use that as basis for one side of a debate is completely pointless.

Whether they're true or not we'll probably never know.  But even if it is speculation, where's Seve's name in the papers?

[quote author=??? link=topic=7453.msg115097#msg115097 date=1233056451]As for the Scotland squad point, we all know how Aberdeen players are treated when it comes to selection, and to be fair to Severin he's up against some really good players for a place in the Scotland midfield (Ferguson, Fletcher, Brown, etc.).

Fair enough but Miller and Langfield have been mentioned due to call offs, there's been Scotland B team meetings, the Karin Cup and our youngsters in different age catagories are all skirting about the teams.  Let's not kid ourselves, Seve maybe experienced but he's not good enough for a first team place these days and only picked up one(?) cap when he was at the top of his game.  Even if the aforementioned were all injured, there are probably another half dozen who would go in there ahead of him and not because of who he plays for.

[quote author=??? link=topic=7453.msg115097#msg115097 date=1233056451]Also, how'd you know no-one came in for him?  Just because it's not in the press doesn't mean there was no interest.

Well he was looking for a move and never got one.  That to me says nobody of any merit was looking for his services.  If it was a money move he was after then I'd be surprised if anyone couldn't better the wages we were offering so why did he stay?

If he stays I'll be happy enough but the deal is there, take it or leave it Seve.  If we were to get money now or keep him until summer then again I'd be happy enough.  JC will replace him just as he has done with so many others so I won't be worring about getting someone else in to cover him.

[quote author=??? link=topic=7453.msg115097#msg115097 date=1233056451]The only person that's mentioned Hibs is you.

Not my quote.  Check the thread again.

Going to be a big miss in my opinion and although not necessarily unreplaceable, it is potentially going to set us back again just as we making forward progress.

Can't see the Arabs or Hivs paying bigger bucks to him than us, therefore only really leaves the old firm [ nae chance ] or the LSC who find it easy to throw big money about and then not pay folk what they're due.

My money if I was a betting man would go on one of the following, PNE, Notts Forrest, Plymouth or Burnley ;)

I think I must have missed the last few seasons of this Seve player some people are talking about.

He had one, maybe two good seasons for us and has been in decline ever since. Turning up for a game here or there is just not cutting it.

As for his captaincy, he was the captain who led us to two embarrassments at the semi-final stage of both cup competitions last year.

Even worse, he has stated his desire to walk out on us, and we will receive nothing, yet people defend him.

He cares not a bit about AFC, and I cannot believe fellow fans are 'wishing him well' and patting him on the back.

I'm nae going to lose sleep over it, losing Nicholson last year was a bigger blow than losing Seve will be.

I don't think he's been a stand-out other than the last couple games, which funnily enough coincides with him looking for a new contract.  Up until then he was making the same silly mistakes as the rest of the back line, which saw us loose the first load of games.  In otherwords I think Andy Considine could fill his shoes quite easily and for half the speculated wages.

Severin's been one of our best players this season, if it wasn't for Lee Miller's form then he'd arguably have been our best player.

If Considine could fill his shoes then surely he'd be in the team now?  Considine obviously has talent but he's prone to errors, I for one would be a little worried if JC decided to throw him in alongside Diamond instead of looking for a replacement should Severin leave.

Whether they're true or not we'll probably never know.  But even if it is speculation, where's Seve's name in the papers?

I don't really see why this matters, so what if he's not in papers.  :-\ Paul Scholes isn't being touted with moves away from Man United, does that make him any less of a great player?  Closer to home, Zander Diamond isn't being linked with anyone, even though it's clear he's a very good player and would be a valuable asset to many teams.

Fair enough but Miller and Langfield have been mentioned due to call offs, there's been Scotland B team meetings, the Karin Cup and our youngsters in different age catagories are all skirting about the teams.  Let's not kid ourselves, Seve maybe experienced but he's not good enough for a first team place these days and only picked up one(?) cap when he was at the top of his game.  Even if the aforementioned were all injured, there are probably another half dozen who would go in there ahead of him and not because of who he plays for.

With regards Miller and Langfield, there aren't that many great Scottish strikers/goalkeepers, so if you show a little bit of form in these positions there's a great chance you'll get the chance to impress.  One thing Scotland do have is an abundance of midfielders and as I said already, Severin is behind them in the pecking order.  The players that are ahead of him will never play for us so I don't understand this point either.

Nicholson wasn't getting a sniff of Scotland action but we'd all have gladly kept him.  Mark Kerr and Gary Mcdonald will probably get nowhere near it either, but we're happy with them.  I don't think this is a fair assessment of Severin's ability, as if he was good enough to play for Scotland he'd probably be playing for either of the Old Firm, or an EPL club.

Anyways, wasn't Severin in the Kirin Cup squad along with Anderson?

Well he was looking for a move and never got one.  That to me says nobody of any merit was looking for his services.  If it was a money move he was after then I'd be surprised if anyone couldn't better the wages we were offering so why did he stay?

He didn't get the right move?  He wasn't wanting a move, just a pay-rise?  Who knows, it's just needless speculation.

There's no doubt in my mind that he could go to a Championship club and get around 8-15k a week.  They were talking about this on Goals On Sunday and one of the guests was saying that fans don't realise how much money plaers are getting in the Championship versus Scotland.

JC will replace him just as he has done with so many others so I won't be worring about getting someone else in to cover him.

Good point here, although my worry is that a settled team will be disrupted again.  Our early season form was down to the number of new players in the squad.  I just wish we could keep the same bunch of players for a lengthy period of time.

Not my quote.  Check the thread again.

Apologies.  :thumbsup:

As much as I have slated Seve in the past and found him truly annoying in the past few seasons with apparent lack of care or respect for AFC, he has come back into a bit of a game this season. I don't find it a coincidence that the team has been playing well with him either. But I do think we'll be able to replace him, its just whether or not the team around the replacement gell with the team. I genuinely feel that our team has come leaps and bounds this season and there is real progress within the side. It will be a same to see if all take a step back again. But who knows, maybe the change will be good ? ? ?

who knows, maybe the change will be good ? ? ?

(Don't know if this was meant for me or you're genuinely just putting three question marks at the end of your post, bloody annoying having a username that's ? ? ? as it's the same when the ??? is posted, always think it may be for me  ;D)

But yeah you may be right, it's just frustrating that when things look like they're coming together, we inevitably end up losing a player or three.  

We've had problems in the centre of defence since Anderson left, and now we've got a pairing that seems to be working because both players are at the top of their game (Diamond and Severin) and playing regularly.

With Kerr and Mcdonald getting better with every game, Miller finally playing like we knew he all could, and Langfield keeping clean sheets, we've finally got a really good spine to our team.  It's no coincidence our recent form has been so good when you take into account these factors.  :thumbsup:

Add Mulgrew and Aluko to that on the wings, and the only areas of the team that need strengthening are at right back (Sassoon may yet be that player  :-\), right wing (will Smith ever be fully fit  :-\) and a partner for Miller up front* (or at least a striker who'd get us goals from the bench).  The age of the squad is right for it to kick on, and with a couple of shrewd additions we could see the best Aberdeen team for many a year.  I for one would prefer Severin to be part of this, just frustrating that we could lose someone who would play a vital part in our future.

*I see the lad Daniel Sturridge is out of contract at Man City the end of this year, I wonder if that Sassoon fella, or even Aluko, are mates with him as he'll no doubt be surplus to requirements given the money City are planning on spending.  Worth a look?!?

Apparently Blackburn want Sturridge, so reckon he'll be out our range should it come down to him moving on anywhere be it permanently or a loan spell.

Sh*te.  Suspected he'd be out of our range but your never know.  On the fringes of the City first team so did think he'd be picked up by someone else down there.  Hopefully we've got the carrot of European football at the end of the year though...  :thumbsup: