Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Severin leaving

According to The Scotsman, Severin has rejected a new deal and there will be no improved offer. He's never really been overly-happy with his stay at Pittodrie, in my opinion. He pondered long and hard before signing his last contract extension and, to be fair, he's hardly been captain-fantastic (throwing tantrums when Walker got the Bayern shirt that he wanted). When he's on-form, he's brilliant. But he suffers a bit from inconsistency. Mind you, I think there's something in the air at Aberdeen as just about every player that plays for the club suffers from inconsistency.

Time for a new challenge for Seve, I think. So, replacements?

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Severin-poised-for-Dons-exit.4915041.jp

Severin poised for Dons exit after rejecting contract offer

Published Date: 27 January 2009

By scott davie

SCOTT Severin is set to quit Aberdeen at the end of the season after rejecting the Pittodrie club's final offer of a new contract. The Dons captain's current deal expires in the summer and Jimmy Calderwood is keen to keep the former Scotland international.

But director of football Willie Miller insists Severin and the rest of the players whose deals are coming to an end have been made take-it-or-leave-it offers.

Now the man who was Calderwood's first signing after replacing Steve Paterson as manager of the Pittodrie club in June 2004 is expected to do the latter. The versatile player was brought in from Hearts under freedom of contract and was handed the captain's armband when Russell Anderson left for Sunderland 18 months ago.

Severin has been outstanding in the centre of defence this season and was arguably Aberdeen's best player in Saturday's 0-0 draw with Rangers. On that sort of form there should be no shortage of teams interested in the 29-year-old who is equally comfortable in defence or midfield.

Jamie Smith, Lee Mair, Derek Young and Darren Mackie have also received what Miller believes are realistic offers to stay on given the current financial climate. The Aberdeen director of football is working to a strict budget and has made it clear there is no leeway in the negotiations.

He said: "The club has made what we feel are very reasonable offers. The ball is in the players' court now because these offers will not be increased."

Jeffrey de Visscher was also out of contract at the end of the season but he has already returned to Holland to join second division Cambur. The midfielder, who signed from De Graafschap, made just 24 starts in 18 months at Pittodrie and was allowed to leave for free.

Calderwood quickly agreed to the deal to benefit the player and the Dutch club where the Aberdeen manager cut his teeth as a coach.

He said: "Jeffrey came to see me ten days ago when he was left out of the team and I told him I wouldn't hinder his career. He has been a good player for me and I felt it was only right to let him leave for free if he found a club back in Holland. Jeffrey has been down sometimes when not getting games but his attitude has been spot on in training and he has always done his best.

"Now he has got the chance to help Cambur get promoted to the top division by the end of the season and take it from there.

"It's a great club and I have good memories of my time there aa assistant manager so it's nice to help them out as well. If they do get promoted then he will earn a three-year contract but if not he can either stay or get himself another club sorted out.

"We have enough people who can cover the right side of midfield at the moment so there's no need to bring anyone else in."

Teenage full-back Stuart Smith has also left the club after signing for Peterhead following a recent loan spell at Balmoor.

Meanwhile, goalkeeper Jamie Langfield is expected to be fit enough to face Falkirk on Saturday after receiving a blow to the face in the game with Rangers.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would seem to be cutting his nose off to spite his face.  Certainly won't get any more cash where ever he ends up.  He's missed the boat down south you would think and at best will end up at united or hibs.

As inconsistent and infuriating as he can be (pretty much like they whole side and management) he'll be badly missed and leaves us with that age old problem how do you solve a problem like russel anderson?

Would seem to be cutting his nose off to spite his face.  Certainly won't get any more cash where ever he ends up.  He's missed the boat down south you would think and at best will end up at united or hibs.

As inconsistent and infuriating as he can be (pretty much like they whole side and management) he'll be badly missed and leaves us with that age old problem how do you solve a problem like russel anderson?

Sorry GS, but how can you compare Seve to Anderson?  :-\

Ach well, what can you do? He's a player we'll miss greatly and those that give him abuse on a weekly basis (you know who you are!) will soon realise that once he's gone.

I don't give him abuse on a weekly basis, however I have frequently posted that I will never forgive him after his media interviews in December 2007 re the hun game/ Big lee (Mc Culloch), wee baz (ferguhun) kungfoo kick that Seve said was accident (aye right!) and Seve slated Chris Clark. Nae fit to wear AFC top after that, farless be captain.

So  :wave: :wave: Seve

Sorry GS, but how can you compare Seve to Anderson?  :-\

I mean it seems we have finally found a replacement for Anderson.  Seve and Diamond have been pretty good together over the last few games, probably as good a partnership as we have had. 

If Seve leaves we will actually have to find a proper replacement for Anderson.

Ach, he's only started playing well again round the time he had to earn a new contract.  I don't think he really should be getting that much stick from the fans and quite surprised to hear he is (well, sort of, par for the course with some of our 'supporters') but I doubt he'll go anywhere better than here.  Slightly better wages in a shitey lower league beckons.

Should be easy enough to replace.

But who gets the armband?

Ach, he's only started playing well again round the time he had to earn a new contract.  I don't think he really should be getting that much stick from the fans and quite surprised to hear he is (well, sort of, par for the course with some of our 'supporters') but I doubt he'll go anywhere better than here.  Slightly better wages in a shitey lower league beckons.

Should be easy enough to replace.

But who gets the armband?

I'd consider Mark Kerr as well as that big bam Zander.

I was a wee bit surprised to see that Stuart Smith has been allowed to leave. I thought great things were expected of him? Or am I getting my Smiths mixed up?

Can't say I'm too surprised to hear this.  He took an age to decide if he was going to stay when his last contract was up, and was very close to signing for Hibs.

If his reasons are purely down to money then I can't see him moving to another team in the SPL outwith the Old Firm. 

Good luck to him, superb player on his day and despite what a lot of folk say he's had a lot more good days than bad at AFC.

It's taken an age to get the central defensive pairing sorted after Anderson left and now that we appear to have sorted it out, it's likely to get broken up again.

I've said it before, but the Severin signing was one of the most significant in the club's hitory as it really signalled a change in direction after years of utter sh*te.  Aberdeen were here before Severin arrived, and they'll be here a long time after, it's just a shame that this is happening just as things were coming good, again.  :(

If a player like Chris Clark can get a move south and land an extra couple grand a week in the hipper, I don't begrudge Severin looking for one last big contract.

Severin's played a huge part in our recent performances, so I find it strange that folks are saying that it's not really a big deal.

The fickle nature of Aberdeen supporters...  ::)

Diamond and Kerr would definitely be contenders for the captaincy.  If Smith was able to play more than 3 games a season then I think he'd be in with a shout too.

Seve going - I'm not too fussed, at one time he signalled the ambition of the club, as time has gone on his form has suffered, he's out of the Scotland frame, he's getting on.

Will he be missed? Depends on who replaces him, givenrecent trends a young lad. Alsodepends who is doing the replacing, it might not be JC

Where will he go? Hearts - selling club who need some experienced players - or - fallirk with all the other old men.

Not surprised and plenty of time to find a replacement

Zander for capt

I agree with ST, we'll fucking miss him once he's gone.  Without a doubt the most important, influential player we have had in the last 5 years, and loosing him is a bigger blow than loosing Russell Anderson.

I can understand why he feels he needs a fresh challenge, but I can't understand why any Afc fan would bad mouth the best footballer we've had at the club for years.  :(

*edit* agree with el padre not ST, what was i thinking?

I agree with ST, we'll fucking miss him once he's gone.  Without a doubt the most important, influential player we have had in the last 5 years, and loosing him is a bigger blow than loosing Russell Anderson.

I can understand why he feels he needs a fresh challenge, but I can't understand why any Afc fan would bad mouth the best footballer we've had at the club for years.  :(

Don't agree that losing him is a bigger blow than losing Anderson.  Russell was everything to that side, he got us out of trouble so many times, his commitment to the cause was unquestionable, something that I don't think could be applied to Seve 100% of the time.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want Seve to leave and it is going to be a big loss to us. But there is no way I fear his departure in the same way as Russell's.

I just think Severin's all round ability will be harder to replace.

Spot on.  Severin is a class act and I feel sorry for JC that he has to go and replace him when he's got very little cash.  Regardless of what a minortiy think, he's also captaining a side which has been on a very good run of late so he must be doing somethig right.  As has been pointed out recently, team morale is at the highest its been for a while and captains usually play a massive part in this.

There's only a few days of the window left, 5-6, so it's probably too late to try and get some cash in for him just now, although it'd undoubtedly make more sense to keep hold of him and push for a European spot.  Would not be surprised to see a cheeky bid come in from a Championship club however.  In that case, what do you reckon the board will do?!?

We got 1 million pounds of compensation for Anderson which maybe softened the blow, but you're right - his commitment was unquestionable.  I just think Severin's all round ability will be harder to replace.

My sentiments exactly. We're effectively losing two players if Severin leaves. Its all very Marcus Heikkinen-esque.

Scored some big goals in important games: the last minute winner from 30 yards against Hibs in front of the Merkland was orgasmic.

However, all too often he's allowed himself to be dominated in midfield by far lesser opponents.

He's done a good job for us overall, but ultimately he'll still leave as something of a disappointment, because nobody could deny that he was capable of much more on a much more regular basis. With the right motivation and commitment he could have developed into as good an all-round midfielder as Scott Brown, but that drive sadly isn't there.

Plus, if the personal stories I've heard are anything to go by, it would do him good to get away from the city of Aberdeen.

As long as he doesn't sign for the Huns or the Jutes, I dare say he'll leave with the best wishes of most Dons fans, but I think many will still look back at the excitement felt when we signed him, and will ask questions about whether or not he ever really justified that excitement on a consistent basis.

He's done a good job for us overall, but ultimately he'll still leave as something of a disappointment, because nobody could deny that he was capable of much more on a much more regular basis. With the right motivation and commitment he could have developed into as good an all-round midfielder as Scott Brown, but that drive sadly isn't there.

Different players altogether, it's like comparing Darren Mackie to Michael Owen.  Oh, wait a sec...

Plus, if the personal stories I've heard are anything to go by, it would do him good to get away from the city of Aberdeen.

???