Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Jamie Smith.

Smith had an interview in todays metro, the main gist of it being unless he gets a new contract offer before the end of the season (before we find out about Europa league) he will go get a contract elsewhere.

I don't think he's really in any position to play hardball with us.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith had an interview in todays metro, the main gist of it being unless he gets a new contract offer before the end of the season (before we find out about Europa league) he will go get a contract elsewhere.

Sounds fair enough to me, the man has to look out for him and his family.

Surely AFC should be budgeting +3% on each member of staff in line with (previous) inflation. Since we didn't have European football this year I can't see why it has such an impact on our current deals or possible extensions. If Smith leaves then I fully expect his salary budget is available for a new player.

Not having a fixed budget and not being able to offer contracts until the end of the season in which players are out of contract is poor management, it borders on negligence.

Either that or they have no intention of offering him a new deal and are just keeping him interested until the end of the season..

I will never understand why so many people rate langfield, for me he is the biggest liability ever seen, and he is a cunt. 

I take it you weren't at Pittodrie last Saturday?

::)

Is it not some nerve problem which is the cause of Smiths injuries? I mind a season ago or so, that was meant to be the cause of all these hamstring injuries.

Don't get me wrong, I would thoroughly love to see him stay (albeit on reduced terms) and providing he'd stay fit. But its the latter that we very rarely see, infact we haven't seen since Copenhagen. Its incredibly rare for a player, who doesn't have any direct associations (i.e. born in Aberdeen/fan) with the club to actually want to stay. He's a sensible man, but I just fear its too late for him now :( Hopefully though, we make Europe and he accepts/the club offer him a deal on severely reduced terms. I would be happy with that.

I will never understand why so many people rate langfield, for me he is the biggest liability ever seen, and he is a cunt. 

Fuck me, you've got your blinkers on, haven't you? Did Langfield ride your wife, or what?

I reckon he's near enough the best keeper we can afford, and certainly in the top three or four in the SPL. Would you have Bossu step in instead? Until recently Langfield was joint top for clean sheets in the SPL - what a fucking liability, eh?

Aye, we all know he made a cunt of himself in Majorca (or wherever it was) but I think JC, JL, and everyone else has moved on (apart from you, apparently). Presumably, when Langfield was going mental celebrating during the European games, you were moaning about his attitude?

I like Smith and genuinely think he's a decent guy who likes the club, however if you put his treatment bill on top of his contract for the past few years and weigh it up against his performances and their regularity he has cost us a fortune for very little.Best since Jess?  Not a chance, only one game of note I remember. If we had cash to spare I'd love to give him a go as he owes us big time, sadly though that's just not the case

Fuck me, you've got your blinkers on, haven't you? Did Langfield ride your wife, or what?

I reckon he's near enough the best keeper we can afford, and certainly in the top three or four in the SPL. Would you have Bossu step in instead? Until recently Langfield was joint top for clean sheets in the SPL - what a fucking liability, eh?

Aye, we all know he made a cunt of himself in Majorca (or wherever it was) but I think JC, JL, and everyone else has moved on (apart from you, apparently). Presumably, when Langfield was going mental celebrating during the European games, you were moaning about his attitude?

Personally I am mystified that he has had so many clean sheets this season and while everyone may have forgivin him for his antics of two summers ago I have not. 

I admit that he occasionaly pulls off some good saves and as a shot stopper is one of the better in the spl (not in the top 3 or 4 though).  His decision making and his distribution are amongst the worst in the league however and his performances under pressure with the notable exception of Dnipro away have been very poor.

Dundee Utd in the semis was about as bad as a keeper can play....

Personally I am mystified that he has had so many clean sheets this season and while everyone may have forgivin him for his antics of two summers ago I have not. 

I admit that he occasionaly pulls off some good saves and as a shot stopper is one of the better in the spl (not in the top 3 or 4 though).  His decision making and his distribution are amongst the worst in the league however and his performances under pressure with the notable exception of Dnipro away have been very poor.

And dnipro away was about as good as a keeper can play.  I really cant understand your beef with langfield, in my eyes he's a serious contender for afc player of the season.  So what he had a bust up with calderwood when steaming, if i had a boss that talked as much pish as JC does i would avoid him like the plague if i was drinking otherwise he would be getting a piece of my mind.  Really wasnt very much to forgive there if you ask me. 

And dnipro away was about as good as a keeper can play.  I really cant understand your beef with langfield, in my eyes he's a serious contender for afc player of the season.  So what he had a bust up with calderwood when steaming, if i had a boss that talked as much pish as JC does i would avoid him like the plague if i was drinking otherwise he would be getting a piece of my mind.  Really wasnt very much to forgive there if you ask me. 

It took me a while to forgive Langfield, but I think he has matured as a professional and as a keeper since the Mallorca-gate "scandal". I'd agree, he certainly has been one of the consistent performers this season and certainly deserves praise. There have been countless times where he's kept us in games. Yes ok, we know his kicking isn't the best, but I actually think he's improved on all other aspects of his game. Everyone has an off day and I think it would be unfair to single out Langfield for that semi. The team were terrible (from what I heard). He's proved he cares for the jersey, and thats all I ask of a player (ok a bit of quality to ;) )

Righto. I see there is little point in arguing with you. You hate Langfield, got it.

However, answer this. Do you think AFC are in a position to let a keeper on the fringes of the Scotland squad go?

Also, who are these keepers that are better than him in the SPL?

Bear in mind, you seem to hate Langfield on the basis that he's a cunt - that surely rules out Boruc and McGregor.

And why have you not? Because he got transfer listed, lost his place in the team and then got his head down, worked hard and fought his way back into the side?

I personally think he has been Aberdeens player of the season. His shot stopping has always been good, his catching and handling has improved dramatically over the past season/season and a half and his communication has also improved. He commands his box far more now and he deserves the praise he has been getting.

His clean sheet record speaks for itself. If I am right, is he still not 1 behind Boruc?

I can't think of a better keeper, outside Boruc and McGregor, than Langfield.

To me, your still carrying a grudge against him for the whole Mallorca thing and you will more than likely always will. If your not giving Langfield praise this season, you never will.

On the basis of him being a cunt, I personally couldn't give two bags of shit whether he's a cunt or not, as long as he maintains his performances. I'm not friends with him. I don't know him. He's the goalkeeper of the club I support and at this moment in time, a very good goalkeeper.

Why the fuck should it bother you so much whether he's a cunt of not?

And why have you not? Because he got transfer listed, lost his place in the team and then got his head down, worked hard and fought his way back into the side?

I personally think he has been Aberdeens player of the season. His shot stopping has always been good, his catching and handling has improved dramatically over the past season/season and a half and his communication has also improved. He commands his box far more now and he deserves the praise he has been getting.

His clean sheet record speaks for itself. If I am right, is he still not 1 behind Boruc?

I can't think of a better keeper, outside Boruc and McGregor, than Langfield.

To me, your still carrying a grudge against him for the whole Mallorca thing and you will more than likely always will. If your not giving Langfield praise this season, you never will.

On the basis of him being a cunt, I personally couldn't give two bags of shit whether he's a cunt or not, as long as he maintains his performances. I'm not friends with him. I don't know him. He's the goalkeeper of the club I support and at this moment in time, a very good goalkeeper.

Why the fuck should it bother you so much whether he's a cunt of not?

:clap:

So in a league of 12 he's one of the better shot stoppers but isn't in the top 3 or 4? Which would then suggest he's one of the more average shot stoppers in the league! Even when you're giving him praise you're doing him down!

If you (generic) had a sick record in your place of employment, somewhat akin to Mr Smith has with AFC, you'd be asked to explain yourself and more than likely be looking at being moved on.

Football is a business - the club has to consider whether it can afford to carry Jamie on the basis of his occasional appearance and performance levels versus his appalling number of missed games.

Jamie reckons he needs to work and look after his family - as indeed he does, however, no-one else needs to weigh his family's welfare into a business decision.

On his day, he's a great player. Personally, I don't think we see anything like enough of him performing at that level, especially when you take into account how few games he actually plays.

Goodbye Mr Smith.

Dons ace Jamie crocked again

By Charlie Allan  :wave:

Published: 08/05/2009

JAMIE Smith is back on the treatment table as the injuries pile up for Aberdeen FC.

Aberdeen FC manager Jimmy Calderwood also today revealed that Darren Mackie and Derek Young – like Zander Diamond – are out for the rest of the season, while Andrew Considine and Lee Mair are also injured.

With Mark Kerr suspended after his red card in the 1-1 draw with Dundee United, the Dons could be forced to face Hearts next Tuesday without seven of their top team squad.

Dons fans at Tannadice were no doubt mystified by the absence of Smith, who had been touted for a comeback from a hamstring injury.

Considine, whose poor defending helped Celtic beat Aberdeen 3-1 in their previous outing, was also missing from the squad.

Calderwood confirmed both suffered injuries in training.

He said: “Jamie has a calf muscle injury and Andrew hurt his thigh.

“I doubt if either will face Hearts.

“Gary McDonald also needed a fitness test ahead of the United game. I’m glad he agreed to give it a go because we were down to the bare bones.â€

ABERDEEN FC today received a massive boost ahead of tomorrow’s SPL clash with Hearts when Jamie Smith returned to training.

The winger has only managed 14 games all season and has recently been out with a calf injury.

Aberdeen FC boss Jimmy Calderwood said: “Having Jamie back is a great boost.

“Hopefully he can play a part in what is a massive game for us that we have to win.

“He is the sort of player who can turn games.

“Jamie has been unlucky with injuries but hopefully he will be okay for tomorrow’s match.â€

The Dons will be missing six first-team players in what is a crucial game in the race for Europe.

Andrew Considine, Darren Mackie, Zander Diamond, Tommy Wright and Derek Young are all out through injury.

Mark Kerr is suspended following his sending off against Dundee United, but the former Falkirk man will be back for Saturday’s trip to Ibrox.

Meanwhile, Stuart Duff insists Aberdeen will not be bullied out of Europe by SPL bad boys Hearts.

Third-placed Hearts have picked up 10 red cards this season and have been hit with a suspended £10,000 fine by the SPL for their poor disciplinary record.

Hearts’ previous visit to Pittodrie last December was marred by a tunnel bust-up where punches were thrown as tempers flared.

The away dressing room door was also damaged after the Dons’ 1-0 win.

Duff said: “We have to get right in Hearts’ faces from the start to show them they are in a game.

“Hearts will be a real battle, so we have to get on top of them to show we are more than ready for that.

“We have hard-working strikers like Lee Miller and Chris Maguire playing up-front and they will have to get in about the Hearts defence.

“This is a must win for Aberdeen so we have to really go for it at Pittodrie.â€

Even although he's managed 14 games this season, you've got to wonder how many of these he was match fit or holding back because he was afraid to aggravate any problems.

My point is that if he does make it back in time for any of the remaining games, I doubt he'll be the "match winning Jamie Smith" that we can just about remember from a few seasons ago.

Even although he's managed 14 games this season, you've got to wonder how many of these he was match fit or holding back because he was afraid to aggravate any problems.

My point is that if he does make it back in time for any of the remaining games, I doubt he'll be the "match winning Jamie Smith" that we can just about remember from a few seasons ago.

Any stattos know how many of the 14 games were him starting the game?