Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Jamie Smith.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest onlyjim

I know he is no longer with us but Russell Anderson seems to be spending a lot of time healing since he left.

Folk are still saying "Wish he was back"

I'm probably one of them.

Give Jamie a chance to heal and perform if he can.

If not he doesn't get a contract and we start next season without him

Guest onlyjim

I reckon a fit Smith is infinitely more valuable than a fit Lovell. We rarely had/have either though.

Smith is a fucking excellent fitba player and if we can get him fit is one we have to keep.

Just what i was trying to say...Spot on

I just wonder what sort of player he'll be if/when he ever returns.

From what I've seen of him he's a solid player who is a cut above the kind of pish that has become synonymous with Aberdeen players over the last few years. If we could count on him to remain free of injury then I'd be all for offering him a new contract.

His track record is one of constant injury though, and for a club as skint as we are can we afford to carry anyone, let alone a higher earner who's place on the treatment table could well be keeping two new faces out of the squad?

I like Jamie Smith as a player, but I'd cut him loose and look for a replacement who benefits us on the pitch.

From what I've seen of him he's a solid player who is a cut above the kind of pish that has become synonymous with Aberdeen players over the last few years.

That's probably the only thing saving him from automatically getting sent on his way. Most fans and Calderwood especially, can see the quality he can bring to the team. It would appear that Calderwood is giving him every opportunity to both get fit and then prove he can stay that way. I'll be gutted if he doesn't do it and leaves but if he can't do it before the end of the season, there is little choice.

Smith is probably our best player by a long way when he is fit but problem is he is never fit. I very much doubt he would be at Dons if he did not have problems with his fitness. I am still loath to see him being let go though and would like to see him being offered some sort of pay as you play deal.

The thing is, there's not really a huge hole in the team where he's being missed each Saturday.  Sure if he came back all-systems-go then he'd improve the squad.  But how many times and how long ago was it that he last did either of those on a regular basis?

I say he's got until the end of the season to show what he's made of.  If it's fits and starts then we bin him and strengthen the squad because I just don't think his heart is in it.

I just wonder what sort of player he'll be if/when he ever returns.

From what I've seen of him he's a solid player who is a cut above the kind of pish that has become synonymous with Aberdeen players over the last few years. If we could count on him to remain free of injury then I'd be all for offering him a new contract.

His track record is one of constant injury though, and for a club as skint as we are can we afford to carry anyone, let alone a higher earner who's place on the treatment table could well be keeping two new faces out of the squad?

I like Jamie Smith as a player, but I'd cut him loose and look for a replacement who benefits us on the pitch.

I think the above point sums up the situation perfectly. He's a very good player at SPL level, don't think anyone can doubt that. But an excellent player who can never play due to injury is a complete waste of time/money. He has been given enough time to recover, so if he can't ever get back to full fitness then he has to be punted.

I really hope he gets over his injury troubles though, and be the player that he was a couple of seasons ago.

It'll never catch on, but perhaps in these credit crunch times we should have someone at Pittodrie who is getting a bit more creative with the terms and conditions that they write into contracts with our playing staff?

If we have a rig that isn't operating for us then it goes on to standby rates. When its drilling, and both parties are benefitting from its operation then yeah, sure it justifies the rockstar rates that are paid. I don't see why the same sort of logic can't be applied in our contract negotiations.

Pay should be at a base level, with the higher levels made up by performance based incentives, first team appearance fees, European football rates, international duty bonuses, goal/clean sheet bonuses, different rates during periods of injury etc.

When a player isn't functioning, he gets the base level that is (more than) enough to get comfortably by on. When he is at the top of his game, scoring goals, playing for his country and winning games for AFC (providing on and off field success for AFC) then quite rightly, he gets to share in that success.

I'm not saying that this doesn't already go on to some extent, and if we believe what WM says then there is a strict wage structure in place already...but I think there is scope to take some of the power away from the player's agents as all clubs across the country look to tighten their belts.

That's all good but contracts are signed when you're trying to entice players to come join the good ship AFC.  Then those contracts are brushed up each time if he's doing well.

You'll never catch anyone daft enough to sign a contract which doesn't look after the player if he gets crocked.  Accidents and injuries happen, it's part and parcel of the game.  Therefore you'll miss out on what otherwise could be a good signing if they stay injury free.

Pay should be at a base level, with the higher levels made up by performance based incentives, first team appearance fees, European football rates, international duty bonuses, goal/clean sheet bonuses, different rates during periods of injury etc.

I do agree with the general point that the contracts we give to players has to be loaded with bonuses rather than just a substantial standard pay. However, things like Clean Sheet Bonuses can be very hard to get the individual players to agree to. Mainly because, as I'm sure you could imagine, the whole thing may go to pot because of an individual error by one of your colleagues... which would also lead to there being a slightly irritable atmosphere in the dressing room if Ricky Foster, for example, was continually costing us goals and therefore his mates a fair scoop of cash.

Appearance money more than anything has to be worked into these contracts. Smith in particular needs it if he is to be offered a new deal. However, guys like Young, Mair and Maguire are unlikely to go for such a contract because they're so often on the bench.

Jamie Smith will play in the reserve game tomorrow and will see how Jamie goes in the coming weeks and then assess his situation.

"Jamie is looking very sharp in training. I don't think he will play the whole game but hopefully he will come through it ok. If Jamie comes back in the coming weeks it will be a massive boost for us. We all know how good he can be."

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Smith is arguably the player at Pittodrie with the most proven talent. If he can stay away from the treatment table, he's got to be worth a new contract ... especially when he comes out with statements like this:

I do not know when talks will start' date=' it is a question for the manager or the board, but I will just wait and see what happens. My family are settled here and I love it at the club. [b']It is a privilege to play for this club.[/b]

This last bit wins it for me.

Smith is arguably the player at Pittodrie with the most proven talent. If he can stay away from the treatment table, he's got to be worth a new contract ... especially when he comes out with statements like this:

This last bit wins it for me.

Yeah I liked that bit too.

Smith deserves a chance to prove his fitness between now and the end of season.

He is good enough to play for Aberdeen. Not many players better than him we could afford.

He can score some great goals.

If he gets back in the team and amoung the goals, why not offer him a 6 month or 1 year extension.

If you negociate down on terms a bit, cuz of the injury proneness even better.

Definitely.

He showed a few nice touches and a couple of decent runs with the ball against Killie.

I prefer to see him in the middle of pitch where he has more oppertunity to fire off a shot. I think thats his best skill.

But I reckon he'll be used as a winger mostly.

Hopefully at least it means less likely that a striker will be playing in the wide areas. That does my box in at times.

No point in a player playing out wide if he can't cross. Joe Miller springs to mind...good player but for me he wasn't a proper winger.

From BBC Gossip:

Aberdeen midfielder Jamie Smith is on course to sign a new Pittodrie deal after finally recovering from long-term injury. (Various)

As has been metioned before, if he stays fit, I have no problem at all with him staying, easily the best player at the club on his day. Keep is up Smith!  :thumbsup: