Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Jamie Smith.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be unprecedented for the club to give an out of the ordinary statement about his fitness. Why aren't you asking for a statement about Stuart Duff?

He's not fit or is being given extra time to build up his strength and every week the club tell us if he is or is not available for selection.

I'm not sure what a press statement saying "Aye, he's still fucked" would acheive.

Can seer your point but we've een kept up to date on Duff's status to ridiculous levels.

We get rid of him = he'll be fit and come back to haunt us

We keep hold of him = he'll never be fit.

There is little evidence that this actually happens. Recent worries include:

Lovell (nope)

McNamara (lol)

Stewart (OK scored for QOS but lets be honest nobody haunted us that day except us)

McCauley (Was he even playing at Alloa ?)

I'm not convinced that players who leave Aberdeen for another team in Scotland are up to much. Are you wetting yourself over Dick Byrrrrrrrrrrne's appearance at ICT ?

You would think he would be one of the better paid players

So no-one here knows for sure how much he earns, and are just speculating?

When he signed in 2005, what was the length of his contract, and has he signed an extension recently?

Very much doubt it's as high as 3.5k to 4k a week though  :-\

Have to agree here, 200k a year is an awful lot of money for someone who's injury prone?  I'd like to think that JC is savvy enough to know that money like that is wasted there if it's the case?

where do folk get this info?

it's not in the annual report. And pretty sure nearly every job I've had I've not known what other staff are getting or what they get after an annual review, and everyone lies to each other anyway.

not having a go - i just find it odd where these figures for players wages come from. Jute is also guilty of throwing wage figures around as fact. Some of the pish rumours ye hear from Dons fans though I take all that sort of talk with a pinch of salt.

I wouldn't expect you to believe me. Heard from someone who would know, only repeating it. 

Either way, whatever we're paying him, it's too much when he's injured all the time.

New blow for Dons attacker Smith

Jamie set to visit surgeon

By Ross McTavish

Published: 16/01/2009

ABERDEEN manager Jimmy Calderwood today revealed Jamie Smith will have to see a surgeon in a bid to end his injury hell.

The Pittodrie playmaker has made just one brief substitute appearance for the Reds since August.

Dons boss Calderwood insists the only problem now halting Smith’s progress is a persistent hamstring niggle.

The attacker is eager to return soon, but will only be allowed to do so when he is 100% ready.

Calderwood said: “Jamie is going to see an expert on the kind of injury he has and that should happen in the next couple of days.

“He gets stiffness in one of his hamstrings when he starts heavy training, and that stops him for the next day.

“So we want to get to the bottom of the problem before we put him through everything he needs to do.

“The surgeon who is going to do that is a very busy man and it is just about trying to get an appointment with him.

“I don’t think Jamie will face an operation, it is a case of seeing how he should rehabilitate the injury.â€

Calderwood is unsure when Smith will make a top team return. but the Aberdeen manager will not rush the former Celtic player’s comeback bid.

He said: “Jamie has done 98% of everything required, but he just gets a bit of stiffness after a hard session

“When he comes back this time, he has to be right.â€

Talisman Smith started four games in August before being struck down by a calf strain.

An attempted return against Falkirk in mid- October proved to be ill-fated.

Last month the Scotland cap appeared to be on the verge of making a matchday squad, only for his nightmare to continue.

Smith is out of contract in the summer, but Calderwood stressed the 28-year-old’s lack of Premier League action will not harm his chances of winning a new deal.

He said: “Jamie Smith knows what I think about him and that won’t be a problem.â€

Smith will definitely miss Sunday’s Pittodrie clash against his ex-club Celtic, along with Derek Young.

Calderwood revealed midfielder Young is also suffering from a hamstring problem.

Aberdeen’s only other doubt is Scott Severin.

But Calderwood is hopeful his skipper will recover from a knee injury in time to play.

It's probably a consultant he's going to see who also happens to be a surgeon. I'd imagine it will be covered by private medical insurance. If he had to wait to see an NHS consultant it would take about 6 months from first making contact just to get an appointment, which would probably be a month or 2 after that still!

Only thing I could think is that the surgeon will look at scans and have a better idea of the injury than the physios who can only really work on external signs to see progress.

Lets just hope the surgeon doesn't come back and say it's a career ender  :-\

Pretty sure Dons use Albyn for the medical work.