Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Former Aberdeen boss checks into rehab

Former Aberdeen boss checks into rehab

By Ryan Crighton

Published: 01/10/2008

Former Aberdeen and Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager Steve Paterson has checked into rehab after blowing £1million at the bookies, it was reported today.

The former Manchester United star, who lives in Moray, arrived at the Sporting Chance Clinic in Hampshire on Monday to try to tackle his gambling problems.

The 50-year-old has described his battle with depression, saying that after he was sacked as manager at Aberdeen FC, he was suicidal and could not get out of bed.

He squandered his £100,000 severance payout from the Dons within three months before racking up another £100,000 on credit cards soon after.

“In 30 years I reckon I have given the bookies more than £1million,†he told a Glasgow-based newspaper.

He continued: “Addiction is an illness. I was ill when I went to Aberdeen and I apologise to them and the fans because I knew I was ill and I shouldn’t have taken the job.†He said that he was convinced that depression was the root cause of his problems, adding: “My father was a depressive, although I don’t think it’s a genetic thing with me because when I’m not boozing or gambling, I’m usually good company.â€

Mr Paterson says he has created chaos and havoc with his lifestyle, but thanked his mother and his daughters for sticking by him. “I am so grateful to them and to the Sporting Chance Clinic for their help and encouragement,†he said.

During his time in charge at Inverness, Paterson masterminded arguably the biggest shock in Scottish Cup history when he guided Caley Thistle to their famous 3-1 win over Celtic in 2000.

During his seven years at the club he guided them from the Third Division to the brink of the SPL, before taking the vacant Aberdeen manager job in 2002.

However, in 2004 he was ignominiously smuggled out of Pittodrie in a car boot when he was sacked, later claiming it was to avoid photographers waiting outside.

Either side of his spell in the Highland capital, Paterson managed Highland League sides Huntly and Forres Mechanics.

In 2006 he replaced Iain Stewart as manager of ambitious Division Two side Peterhead, but was dismissed in January this year after a string of disappointing results.

The Sporting Chance Clinic, set up in 2000, is the brainchild of former England captain Tony Adams, who overcame a lengthy battle with alcohol addiction.

The base has been used to help various sporting figures in the past.

The £4,000-a-week course Mr Paterson is on is being funded by the English PFA, whom the former defender was a member of between 1975 and 1981.

“They have not turned their back on me,†he added.

Guest swaddon

It was more the fault of the board than it was Paterson's fault that he was appointed. He may have had a good track record with Inverness CT, but the Aberdeen job was far too big for him, in my opinion.

As has been said by a few people in this thread, I bear him no malice, and I hope he can get over this, and I wish him luck.

Guest Caroline B

I noted that one of the rags this morning had the headline "SPL MANAGER CHECKS INTO REHAB"

Sensationalistic rubbish. He hasn't been an SPL manager for years. Yet another attempt by the press to get a rise out of Dons fans?

Not a suprise about the depression angle of the story, I dont think I have ever seen anyone being interviewed who looked so defeated, hope he manages to sort himself out.

In a few years time you will probably see this story in the P&J

Former Aberdeen manager enters rehab

Calderwood checks into the sporting chance clinic in an atempt to cure his tanorexia

I remember being ever so excited when he got the Aberdeen job - I didn't know anything about him at all not being a lover of ICT but Radio Scotland were raving about him at the time and it was rumoured that he might go to Utd before we came along

Then about a week after he got appointed The Scotsman had quite a scathing article about him being an alcoholic and how he would struggle to hold down the job - how right they were..................

Guest swaddon

I noted that one of the rags this morning had the headline "SPL MANAGER CHECKS INTO REHAB"

Sensationalistic rubbish. He hasn't been an SPL manager for years. Yet another attempt by the press to get a rise out of Dons fans?

And nor will he ever be again.

They tried to make me go to rehab but I declined.

Get well soon, Stevie, or not, as the case may be.

If you do recover, try smiling. Genuine ones, the ones without the moroseness behind your eyes. Discover happiness too.

Me suspects he is in terminal decline.

What happened to you in the intervening 8 hours between your posts?

fucking typical lazy schadenfreude journalism for the muppets of society to lap up

One of the most scary things I ever heard was that in some households this type of journalism is the only source of reading material available.

Are these journos born scum or is it drilled into them at Uni?

Aye, all the best Stevie. In many a Morayshire man, your playing days earned you the nickname Pele. And your managerial days may well have been blessed with such brilliance, providing you hadn't taken arguably the hardest job in the Scottish leagues ... a club with the demands of the Old Firm, but with the money of Inverurie Locos.

He's not the first ... and certainly will not be the last Aberdeen manager to depart in shameful circumstances. I foresee your predecessor being bundled into that boot in less than two months ... although with his size, it may need to be a transit van rather than a car boot.