Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/893028

Dons address paucity of goals

miller sees falkirk as good place to start netting the dividends

By Michael Gannon

Published: 18/10/2008

If goals are the currency in football, then Aberdeen’s misfiring strikers are in the midst of their very own credit crunch.

Lee Miller and strike partner Darren Mackie have scored just one SPL goal each this season as the Dons have found the net a paltry seven times in eight league games.

Manager Jimmy Calderwood has fretted over his defence’s blunders but has plenty to worry about at the other end as well as his players look to haul themselves off the foot of the table.

Miller, who opened his SPL account from the penalty spot in the 2-1 defeat by Hibs a fortnight ago, accepts that the forwards are feeling the pinch ahead of today’s trip to Falkirk.

He said: “Darren and I haven't been hitting the back of the net. It's frustrating as every striker wants to score.

“It's a bit of everything, the service and the finishing must be just right. If everything clicks on the day, it's marvellous and, hopefully, that will happen soon.

“There is pressure on me having gone so many games without getting a goal – which is annoying because I set myself high standards.

“It has been a stop-start season without many chances in front of goal but we will see what happens.

“Falkirk would be a great place to start doing the business and help get back to the top end of the league.â€

• 2 weeks later...

31% of the season gone if you assume we only play one tie in the cup. Strikers should be on 10 goals now if they want to hit 30 by the end of the season. It can all turn around on a Mackie hatrick at Tannadice but I'm not rushing to the bookies  :P

31% of the season gone if you assume we only play one tie in the cup. Strikers should be on 10 goals now if they want to hit 30 by the end of the season. It can all turn around on a Mackie hatrick at Tannadice but I'm not rushing to the bookies  :P

out of interest anyone any idea how other strike forces in the SPL are doing (scum excepted)

The goal scoring rate this season is shocking and barely a goal per game for most sides.  At a guess Motherwell and hibs are probably the only two where the strikers have chipped in with a respectable number of goals.

Can't remember such a low scoring league in a while.  Is it as much to do with the total lack of creativity in the middle and out wide in the SPL as it is to do with shit strikers?

Yet Pat Nevin reckons our lack of goals will stop us making 4th never mind 3rd.

I reckon 2nd is now a real possibility - we'll see some real good stuff over the next months as confidence grows and rangers implode (unfortunately not literally)

Although, I think our slow start will end up meaning we finish 3rd.

Not sure we should spend money in the winter break transfer wondow - ye never get quality or value for money.

Was the EPL not the lowest scoring league a few seasons ago?

Agree that we will finish third, but don't think Rangers will implode. They have too many good players (particularly in midfield) and not enough games to put any real pressure on. Because of the points the 'bottom ten' will take off each other, the OF will be a long way ahead, IMO.

After 11/11/08

Defence 4

Midfield  3

Strikers  9

Considine    1

Mulgrew    3

MacDonald  2

Young        1

Maguire      1

Mackie      3

Miller        3*      (* 2 pen)

Aluko        2

Still debate whether Aluko is a striker ?