Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Hitmen backed to bag 30 goals

We should be able to bring in somebody better yet we still havent done.

He did score vital goals for us last season but due to injury etc it was pretty much a write off. He has finished top scorer the season his contract was running out but has never followed up one good season with another. He continually gets played because he is a pain in the ass for defenders as he doesnt give them time to settle but eventually if we are going to progress this cant be enough and he will have to turn this into more goals.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact the Jutes or ICT wanted him doesn't have any implication on the fact that, more often than not, he's fucking garbage for us. That's all I care about, not whether the Jutes or ICT think he's good enough for them or not. Just because he's not been as shit as the list you have posted (and to be honest, had some of them played for as long as he has, they may well have also scored 52 goals in that period, too) doesn't mean we should all be content with him.

I'm not saying Mackie is the answer nor am I saying he's who I want pulling on the striker's jersey on a Saturday at AFC.

But he's worked hard enough at keeping that position of his and managed to do so for a lot longer than any of the other charlatans that have turned up with a pair of football boots and the audacity to call themself a striker.

If he was keeping someone out of a starting spot then yes, I'd be asking questions.  But the plain fact of the matter is; not one manager in his time at Pittodrie has managed to unearth another player to slot in before him.

Lee Miller might just have managed that last season (perhaps because Darren was injured) but we need 2 strikers on the park and if there's nobody at the club good enough to push for a place and the coaching staff can't get anyone else in then Mackie may well be the 10-year-stop-gap answer.

I'm not saying Mackie is the answer nor am I saying he's who I want pulling on the striker's jersey on a Saturday at AFC.

But he's worked hard enough at keeping that position of his and managed to do so for a lot longer than any of the other charlatans that have turned up with a pair of football boots and the audacity to call themself a striker.

If he was keeping someone out of a starting spot then yes, I'd be asking questions.  But the plain fact of the matter is; not one manager in his time at Pittodrie has managed to unearth another player to slot in before him.

Lee Miller might just have managed that last season (perhaps because Darren was injured) but we need 2 strikers on the park and if there's nobody at the club good enough to push for a place and the coaching staff can't get anyone else in then Mackie may well be the 10-year-stop-gap answer.

That's a massive indictment on the managers then.

That's a massive indictment on the managers then.

Well there's that and of course the fact we can only offer two shiny pennies and a Bazooka Joe for our transfers.  If anyone out there can name a player who has 10 years of SPL and European experience [in fact all see my earlier list] and will come to our club for free then I'm all ears.

We just don't have the cash and if we binned him for free (which no doubt people would moan about) then I doubt we'd get anyone better to replace him.

I doubt that boy with the peg leg we're about to sign will be one of them, but I'd gladly eat my bonnet if I'm wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Caroline B

3 Matches down and 35 to go. Looking at it now, Maybe Clark is being over optimistic! The strikers aren't exactly setting the heather on fire and as things stand Mulgrew looks a good bet for top scorer.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/768290

“The strikers have become the first line of defence, so they have to be a lot more mobile and be willing to track back a lot more than some of the great names from the past did.â€

In my eyes, I'd rather our forwards defended from the front by banging the ball into the opposition net, rather than playing as a 5th and 6th midfielder.

Does the Co-op cup count in the 30? Im no too sure.....

Why wouldn't it ? Its not like its a competition with rules. Its just a motivational statement sent out by the management to challenge his strikers. I'm backing them for 40  :thumbsup: C'mon the front

Having done some very very shit research I came up with the following:

2006/07 our 6 strikers bagged 32 goals (Daal-2, Crawford-3, Lovell-9, Mackie-13, Maguire-1 and Miller-4)

2007/08 our 6 strikers bagged 27 goals (Aluko-3, Brewster-3, Lovell-3, Mackie-2, Maguire-4 and Miller-12)

I don't think European goals are counted in these stats.

Incidently, I think in 2007/08 our midfield got 17 goals with 8 players chipping in (Touzani, Clark, Foster, Nicholson, Severin, Smith, Young and JDV)

If these stats are correct then it would seem that 30 goals from your strike force brings you a fairly average season in terms of convincing victories and real progress. 40 goals would probably feel like a consistently good season. The difference between 2006/07 and 2007/08 looks like a second striker who can pitch in with around 8-10 goals. We missed that last season.

I'd say 40+ should be the strikers target. My 'logic' suggests -

One strikers should be getting 20+, our main striker (Miller or Wright)

Second striker should be 10+ (Miller or Wright)

2 additional strikers should be 5+ each (Macguire, Mackie)

Agreed none of our strikers has had a 20+ season in a while but this should still be the goal.

I'd say 40+ should be the strikers target. My 'logic' suggests -

One strikers should be getting 20+, our main striker (Miller or Wright)

Second striker should be 10+ (Miller or Wright)

2 additional strikers should be 5+ each (Macguire, Mackie)

Agreed none of our strikers has had a 20+ season in a while but this should still be the goal.

A tad optimistic seeing as the 2nd top scorer last season in the SPL only managed to score 15 goals.