Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Hitmen backed to bag 30 goals

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/768290

ABERDEEN’S front men are ready to match the 30-goal target set for them by manager Jimmy Calderwood.

That’s the verdict of reserve team coach Sandy Clark after spending the last month sharpening up their front-men for the big SPL kick-off.

Calderwood wants his four main strikers to deliver at least 30 goals between them to bolster Aberdeen’s chances of qualifying for Europe.

That’s something that has happened only twice in the last 10 seasons. But Clark is convinced Lee Miller, Darren Mackie, Chris Maguire and new man Tommy Wright have it in them to give Calderwood what he wants.

“It’s a very reasonable target,†said Sandy, who was a top-class striker himself with Hearts, Rangers and West Ham.

“All four are capable of delivering their fair share and will get their chance over the course of the campaign.

“It is very rare nowadays for one strike pairing to get the luxury of playing together all season.

“Injuries and suspensions mean you tend to find the combinations change quite a lot.

“But a target of 30 goals means they will need to get about seven or eight each.

“It’s not really a lot when you look at it that way, so we will all be disappointed if they stay fit and can’t deliver that total.

“Lee was our top scorer last season and I’m sure he will score more than his fair share again.

“Darren is fit again and eager to make up for lost time after only getting four last time.

“Darren always seems to score the important ones though, and I am certain he will continue that.

“Wee Chris is going to be a lot more involved as well and I’m excited by the thought of what he could achieve in the new season.

“Tommy will do his bit as well.

“I was sent to watch him play and was impressed by his aggression and sheer will to get in about defenders and win the ball.

“If we get the ball wide so that it can be delivered into the area the way Tommy likes it, I am certain he will score a good number of goals.â€

In the days when Sandy was a player, most Scottish clubs had one striker who was expected to deliver the bulk of that 30-goal target on his own – but he accepts times have changed.

“Football has become more squad orientated, so you don’t see many teams sticking with the same strikers all of the time,†he said.

“In one of the seasons I played for Hearts, we only used 14 players the whole season.

“When you are playing every week it stands to reason that you will have more chance of scoring goals.

“But strikers now find their playing time restricted because their club may choose to go with one up or make some other tactical change.

“I played with Ally McCoist at Rangers and John Robertson at Hearts, who were among the greatest of what you would class as old fashioned poachers.

“They did very little in games at times, but would then pop up with the goals that mattered.

“Few clubs can afford the luxury of players like those now.

“The strikers have become the first line of defence, so they have to be a lot more mobile and be willing to track back a lot more than some of the great names from the past did.â€

Sandy spent extra hours in Holland supervising special shooting drills at their training ground in Delden.

He was delighted with the way the players improved the quality of their shooting and movement over the course of 10 days.

“They are looking sharp and are now ready to go,†he said.

“Strikers are only as good as the delivery they get and that is something we worked on a lot.

“Most of our drills involve moving the ball about at pace and firing into the area early for the strikers.

“We also incorporate a bit of competition to add a bit more bite to the training.

“They take part in various shooting competitions and you would be amazed at how competitive they get at times.

“The quality of finishing was exceptional at times. But the strikers now have to prove they can do the same when the real action starts.â€

I too agree its a very reasonable target and you could say a higher target should be set as if you dont aim high mediocrity can set in.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ABERDEEN’S front men are ready to match the 30-goal target set for them by manager Jimmy Calderwood.

That’s the verdict of reserve team coach Sandy Clark after spending the last month sharpening up their front-men for the big SPL kick-off.

Calderwood wants his four main strikers to deliver at least 30 goals between them to bolster Aberdeen’s chances of qualifying for Europe.

That’s something that has happened only twice in the last 10 seasons. But Clark is convinced Lee Miller, Darren Mackie, Chris Maguire and new man Tommy Wright have it in them to give Calderwood what he wants.

“It’s a very reasonable target,†said Sandy, who was a top-class striker himself with Hearts, Rangers and West Ham.

“All four are capable of delivering their fair share and will get their chance over the course of the campaign.

“It is very rare nowadays for one strike pairing to get the luxury of playing together all season.

“Injuries and suspensions mean you tend to find the combinations change quite a lot.

“But a target of 30 goals means they will need to get about seven or eight each.

“It’s not really a lot when you look at it that way, so we will all be disappointed if they stay fit and can’t deliver that total.

“Lee was our top scorer last season and I’m sure he will score more than his fair share again.

“Darren is fit again and eager to make up for lost time after only getting four last time.

“Darren always seems to score the important ones though, and I am certain he will continue that.

“Wee Chris is going to be a lot more involved as well and I’m excited by the thought of what he could achieve in the new season.

“Tommy will do his bit as well.

“I was sent to watch him play and was impressed by his aggression and sheer will to get in about defenders and win the ball.

“If we get the ball wide so that it can be delivered into the area the way Tommy likes it, I am certain he will score a good number of goals.â€

In the days when Sandy was a player, most Scottish clubs had one striker who was expected to deliver the bulk of that 30-goal target on his own – but he accepts times have changed.

“Football has become more squad orientated, so you don’t see many teams sticking with the same strikers all of the time,†he said.

“In one of the seasons I played for Hearts, we only used 14 players the whole season.

“When you are playing every week it stands to reason that you will have more chance of scoring goals.

“But strikers now find their playing time restricted because their club may choose to go with one up or make some other tactical change.

“I played with Ally McCoist at Rangers and John Robertson at Hearts, who were among the greatest of what you would class as old fashioned poachers.

“They did very little in games at times, but would then pop up with the goals that mattered.

“Few clubs can afford the luxury of players like those now.

“The strikers have become the first line of defence, so they have to be a lot more mobile and be willing to track back a lot more than some of the great names from the past did.â€

Sandy spent extra hours in Holland supervising special shooting drills at their training ground in Delden.

He was delighted with the way the players improved the quality of their shooting and movement over the course of 10 days.

“They are looking sharp and are now ready to go,†he said.

“Strikers are only as good as the delivery they get and that is something we worked on a lot.

“Most of our drills involve moving the ball about at pace and firing into the area early for the strikers.

“We also incorporate a bit of competition to add a bit more bite to the training.

“They take part in various shooting competitions and you would be amazed at how competitive they get at times.

“The quality of finishing was exceptional at times. But the strikers now have to prove they can do the same when the real action starts.â€

:rofl2:

Guest swaddon

Is this 30 goals in one season, or the next five seasons?

And anyway, even if they score 100 goals, if our defence concedes 110, then it won't be worth it.

30 Goals between FOUR strikers? If they can't reach that they should be sacked there and then. Not a high target at all.

Excruciating, isn't it? In fact, it's fucking embarrassing. 30 goals between four strikers is dismal, you should be looking to get 30 goals a season from your midfielders!

Haud me back! 30 goals between 4 strikers. They should be aiming for that between 2 strikers FFS!

This cavaliar attitude is definitely what is needed to get the stay away fans back onside and buying the Seasons Tickets. :hammer:

Even if your in the gutter you should be aiming for the stars

What you all seemed to have missed is the fact that we've only managed to score that many 'twice in the past ten years'.  So to aim for that this season is neither shooting for mediocrity nor is it lacking in ambition.

We've finished 3rd and 4th twice in the past five or six seasons by scoring less than 30 so if we can get them geared towards that then I'd say it'll put us in good stead.

30 between 4 strikers may not look like much but it's still a challenge for them and one they have a chance of actually succeeding at but only if they knuckle down.

you should be aiming for the stars

Mackie's made a career out of that.  I'd be happy if he aimed a little lower and between the white sticks.

What you all seemed to have missed is the fact that we've only managed to score that many 'twice in the past ten years'.  So to aim for that this season is neither shooting for mediocrity nor is it lacking in ambition.

We've finished 3rd and 4th twice in the past five or six seasons by scoring less than 30 so if we can get them geared towards that then I'd say it'll put us in good stead.

30 between 4 strikers may not look like much but it's still a challenge for them and one they have a chance of actually succeeding at but only if they knuckle down.

Mackie's made a career out of that.  I'd be happy if he aimed a little lower and between the white sticks.

Walk before we can run.

Strikers have been abysmal for years at Pittodrie, 30 goals from strikers in a season would be a pleasant surprise!

Stavrum was our last 20+ goalscorer. Before that, I think it was Doddsy. Before that ... Shearer?

Okay, that's three strikers in fifteen YEARS that have cut the mustard. I hope to fuck that Wright is all he's cracked up to be. Cos I can't imagine Mackie and Bebo to get the lion's share of those 30 goals. For all his huff and puff, I can still see Mackie scoring no more than 6 goals this season. He'll play in over 40 matches this season, but will score no more than 6 goals ... I'll hedge my bets on that figure.

If he scores more, good on him. If not, time to say bubye Darren! You've had ten years to show us what you can do. When are you gonna prove to us that you are the striker you say you are?

Stavrum was our last 20+ goalscorer. Before that, I think it was Doddsy. Before that ... Shearer?

Okay, that's three strikers in fifteen YEARS that have cut the mustard. I hope to fuck that Wright is all he's cracked up to be. Cos I can't imagine Mackie and Bebo to get the lion's share of those 30 goals. For all his huff and puff, I can still see Mackie scoring no more than 6 goals this season. He'll play in over 40 matches this season, but will score no more than 6 goals ... I'll hedge my bets on that figure.

If he scores more, good on him. If not, time to say bubye Darren! You've had ten years to show us what you can do. When are you gonna prove to us that you are the striker you say you are?

If Darren does that and one of them is a cup winning goal?

I think its safe to assume he will get 15 goals this season. Always happens when his contract is up.

That's the problem. Darren has a habit of popping up for one crucial goal every three years. Somehow, this seems to justify the red army putting up with him! Imagine if he'd put away just 20 or 30% of the chances he's had in his career? He'd be a friggin deity that's not been seen at Pittodrie since Big Shearer himself. But Darren's problem is he is not a striker. I struggle to believe he's a footballer. He's an athlete, yes. But a footballer? No! There is a difference.

Mohammed Sylla, for example, was a very very fast athlete. But how many times did you see him on the tele running out of pitch cos he had no fuckin control of the ball? Almost every game I saw him play, he could sprint down the length of the pitch with the ball in no time at all. Ask him to cross the ball when he got to the end of the pitch? The ball would very rarely end up in the box

Agreed Tradesman. It's got to be remembered that the four strikers are not going to be playing at the same time.

But what I'm gettin at is Mackie is NOT a footballer. He's chosen the wrong sport to become a pro at. Maybe he should be a track runner or something. He's athletic, yes. A footballer? Probably a passable 1st Division striker at best. Certainly not good enough to warrant staying at Scotland's 3rd biggest club for almost a decade!

Guest Caroline B

We scored nearly 50 league goals last season. Given that the strikers are expected to get 30 of those this season, that leaves around 20 or so for midfielders/defenders to get to match last seasons total.

I assume that the management at the club want to finish higher than last time, so I think 30 between 4 strikers is a little on the low side. 40 I would accept. Hopefully guys like Jamie Smith and De Visscher can get in among the goals too.

But what I'm gettin at is Mackie is NOT a footballer. He's chosen the wrong sport to become a pro at. Maybe he should be a track runner or something. He's athletic, yes. A footballer? Probably a passable 1st Division striker at best. Certainly not good enough to warrant staying at Scotland's 3rd biggest club for almost a decade!

Cant argue with that  :thumbsup:

Cant argue with that  :thumbsup:

No you can't argue with that, but at the same time you can't forget that:

1. He has been top scorer in a few of the seasons that he's played for us.

2. United wanted to take him off his hands and were willing to pay handsomely for his services.

3. Caley were only too happy to take him for a season.

4. He's continually been picked by every manager that's been at AFC over the last 10 years.

5. He's proved his worth a shitload more than (shudder) Zdrillic, Mike, Dadi, Michie, Steptoe, Hamilton, Lovell, Pasquinelli, etc, etc, etc.....

No you can't argue with that, but at the same time you can't forget that:

1. He has been top scorer in a few of the seasons that he's played for us.

2. United wanted to take him off his hands and were willing to pay handsomely for his services.

3. Caley were only too happy to take him for a season.

4. He's continually been picked by every manager that's been at AFC over the last 10 years.

5. He's proved his worth a shitload more than (shudder) Zdrillic, Mike, Dadi, Michie, Steptoe, Hamilton, Lovell, Pasquinelli, etc, etc, etc.....

The fact the Jutes or ICT wanted him doesn't have any implication on the fact that, more often than not, he's fucking garbage for us. That's all I care about, not whether the Jutes or ICT think he's good enough for them or not. Just because he's not been as shit as the list you have posted (and to be honest, had some of them played for as long as he has, they may well have also scored 52 goals in that period, too) doesn't mean we should all be content with him.