Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Tommy Wright deal on verge of collapse...or is it?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gonna let this one pass. But ... Mizer, why do you currently posess a pair of pants that either belong to TopCorner or Jaegerdeen? Is there some sort of horny ménage à trois going on here that you'd like to share amongst us?

It could be Edinburghdons or Brunstanesheeps as well, everyone was naked right next to my bed

Tommy vows not to alter his game

Tough guy Tommy Wright on his disciplinary record

By Charlie Allan  :wave:

Published: 12/08/2008

NEW DON Tommy Wright won’t be changing his style to please Scotland’s card happy refs.

The Englishman’s whole-hearted approach has earned him four red and 31 yellow cards already in his career.

Wright has been warned there could be more trouble to come from officials in the SPL, who have a habit of flashing cards then asking questions later.

But the Leicester-born hitman says that won’t affect how he goes about his business with the Dons.

Wright said: “My disciplinary record could be a lot better.

“In my defence, I felt I was a bit of a target for the referees in England last season.

“I was booked 11 times but I felt hard done by because I was only looking after myself in the games.

“I only give as good as I get from defenders.

“If someone wants to give me a bit of stick, they get it back.

“The Aberdeen manager has warned me that the refs up here are very strict.

“I can assure them I don’t plan to go out and do anything to upset people.

“Things have happened in the past, when I was a bit younger, that I do regret.

“I’ve learned from that but will still be going into every tackle as if my life depends on it.

“The day I start pulling out of challenges is the day I would be best packing in football.â€

Wright admitted the thought of how his father – Andy – would react if he did change his style is another reason why he will be battering into every SPL defender he faces.

“My dad would probably rip my head off if I held back in any way†he said.

“My dad has always pushed me on at my football and will be at every Aberdeen game. He says I should give my all, no matter how good or bad I play.

“If he saw me giving anything less than 100% he would give me pelters.â€

The former England youth international knows the Dons fans are crying out for a new cult hero to worship.

Lee Richardson and Dean Windass are among the previous English imports to have become big hits with the Red Army and Wright wants a bit of that.

“The manager spoke to me about how I could become a real fans’ favourite if I do well,†he said.

“I like to think I’m like a lot of the lads on the terraces, a fan who has been fortunate to get the chance to live his dream.

“It’s up to me to show the Dons fans from here on that I’m worthy of being remembered as a cult hero.

“If I get my share of goals and show I’m willing to get wired in I’m sure I will soon have the fans on my side.â€

Wright hopes to take another massive stride towards achieving that by boosting his match fitness in today’s Reserve League clash with Inverness Caley Thistle at Brechin. It’s a low-key start for the 23-year-old, whose last match for Darlington was a promotion play-off semi-final clash with Rochdale in May.

But Wright is determined it will be his first – and last – reserve match for Aberdeen.

He said: “If I do well today I will be looking to play at Motherwell on Saturday for the first team.

“I’ve not come here to play reserve team football.

“There is something wrong with anyone who is happy to settle for that.â€

Wright was frustrated to have to sit in the stand and watch as the Dons drew a blank while going down 2-0 to Inverness Caley Thistle in their SPL opener.

He is desperate for the chance to score his first goal for the Dons.

Wright said: “I set myself a target of 20 goals last season at Darlington.

“I got 10 before Christmas, so was annoyed to only get 15 in the end.

“I’m not so keen to set a specific target this time because I’ve been out injured and haven’t played in Scotland yet.

“But once I’m in the team and have scored the first one I might choose to review that.â€