Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tommy Wright deal on verge of collapse...or is it?

Dons’ wrong turn over Wright

Aberdeen’s move for striker hits snag as darlington increase asking price for player

By Paul Third

Published: 15/07/2008

Aberdeen’s move for Darlington forward Tommy Wright is on the verge of collapse as discussions between the two clubs have broken down.

The Dons believed they had agreed a £75,000 fee with the Quakers for the 23-year-old but the English League 2 side has increased its valuation of the player.

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood has threatened to pull out of the deal if Darlington do not reduce their demands for the former England youth international.

He said: “I spoke to Willie Miller who told me a fee had been accepted but the club has moved the goalposts.

“We are still talking to Darlington but if they don’t come closer to our valuation of the player then the deal will be off.â€

Calderwood has been tracking Wright, the Quakers’ leading scorer last season with 15 goals, for months. But he is prepared to move on to another target if the issue is not resolved quickly.

The Dons manager is keen to get new faces on board before Aberdeen depart for Holland a week tomorrow for their training camp. He said: “We thought we had done our bit and were on the verge of getting a result. But sometimes an agent, the player or a club changes what has been agreed. In this case it is the club.

“This happens all the time with clubs in England which is why I don’t like talking about deals when they are not completed.

“The hopes of the supporters have been built up as they have read we are after a player but, as is so often the case, negotiations are never straightforward.â€

Darlington manager Dave Penney said: “We have received offers for a couple of players but none of the offers has been accepted.â€

While Calderwood hopes for a resolution in his bid for the player, he has turned his attention to his current squad which will take on Dundee at Dens Park in the second pre-season friendly.

Michael Paton and Sam Stewart will join Neil Cooper’s squad for a friendly with Nairn, while the rest of the first-team squad players are at Dens.

Calderwood said: “Dundee will give us a very hard game which is why we chose them as opposition.

“They are a Premier League club in all but name and if there was a 16-team SPL I have no doubt they would be in there.

“They will be joint favourites for promotion this season along with St Johnstone and I am sure Alex Rae will have his players motivated. We had expected to be in Ireland this week but when it fell through I was delighted to be able to get a game against a team of Dundee’s quality.

“We have a game at Peter-head on Friday which will be another good test for us. I am looking for two good performances this week.â€

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Anthony Elding has been left out of Leeds tour of Ireland, he had a 1 in 2 record for Stockport before moving to Leeds in January. Worth a look?

Definitely. I've been keeping an eye on him for a few years (mate of mine is a stockport fan) and thought he wouldn't be out of our league. But i doubt he's on AFC's radar.

Definitely. I've been keeping an eye on him for a few years (mate of mine is a stockport fan) and thought he wouldn't be out of our league. But i doubt he's on AFC's radar.

Our radar only picks up in Dunfermline, Dundee and the Nederlands  :P

Yeah, there's no point in complaining about not getting someone we'd never heard of a week ago. There'll be a few of these before the end of the transfer window I'm sure.  ::)

Some folk complain when we appear to do nothing.

Some folk complain when we appear to do something.

Some folk just complain.

Seems this Tommy Wright is a done deal

Up to Aberdeen for a medical.

All I know about him is he is a target man, and Darlington Websites seem thin on the ground.  Anyone know much about him?  What league are Darlington in anyway these days? Would we have been better going for the Linfield loon?

Seems this Tommy Wright is a done deal

Up to Aberdeen for a medical.

All I know about him is he is a target man, and Darlington Websites seem thin on the ground.  Anyone know much about him?  What league are Darlington in anyway these days? Would we have been better going for the Linfield loon?

No (other than the obligatory Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Wright_%28footballer_born_1984%29).

League 2.

Probably.

It's not often you hear of a medical being delayed a couple of weeks due to injury. Do the Dons medical team not have kit sophisticated enough to work out if an injury is serious or not? Then again it could be a prudent move and may explain why Darlington are keen to ship out.

It's not often you hear of a medical being delayed a couple of weeks due to injury. Do the Dons medical team not have kit sophisticated enough to work out if an injury is serious or not? Then again it could be a prudent move and may explain why Darlington are keen to ship out.

Supposedly being shipped out by Darlington so as they can sign Clayton Donaldson from Hibs!!

width=249 height=212http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/a5/b8/0,,10284~3717285,00.jpg[/img]

Jimmy Calderwood this afternoon confirmed that Aberdeen have agreed terms with Darlington for striker Tommy Wright, and the player has agreed personal terms.

"With regards to the Tommy Wright situation - he had a small injury towards the end of last season in his knee and the doctor has taken a look at him today and we are going to get him back in a couple of weeks to look at him again. He is in the middle of his rehab at the moment so it is difficult for the medical staff to fully access him."

"Like Charlie Mulgrew I have been trying for a long time to sign the player so I don't mind waiting another couple of weeks."

"As far as we are concerned Tommy will be joining us before the beginning of the season but he won't be travelling with us to Holland, although we will be in regular contact with him."

"In these kind of situations you can never risk even the smallest of niggles and that is why the deal is not signed and sealed today."

"Tommy will bring a lot of strength to the team as he is a big lad. He is a good holder of the ball and is very strong in the air. He has everything in him to become a big favourite with the fans."

Fuckin junkie!  >:D

"With regards to the Tommy Wright situation - he had a small injury towards the end of last season in his knee and the doctor has taken a look at him today and we are going to get him back in a couple of weeks to look at him again. He is in the middle of his rehab at the moment so it is difficult for the medical staff to fully access him."

latex.jpg

:ooh:

Remember the medical team in question . . . .