Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons in chase to get the Wright man

aberdeen face competition in striker bid

Dons in chase to get the Wright man

By Paul SMith

Published: 09/07/2008

Aberdeen have opened talks with Darlington as they target forward Tommy Wright. The 23-year-old has fallen down the pecking order at the English League 2 side following the arrival of former Clyde player Adam Proudlock.

That has alerted a string of clubs to Wright’s availability and the Dons are among those who have expressed an interest.

Aberdeen have not yet made a bid for the former Leicester City trainee and face competition for his services.

Cheltenham Town are understood to have already had an offer rejected by Darlington and at least one other English side has also had an approach rebuffed.

Aberdeen were prepared to pay about £50,000 for Southend United’s Irish forward Richie Foran and can afford to pay a fee for the right player.

Wright, a former England under-19 international, has a record of 17 goals in 46 league starts for Darlington and has caught the eye of Jimmy Calderwood and his scouting team.

Although currently recovering from a knee oper- ation, Wright is expected to be fit for the start of the season.

After beginning his career at the Walkers Stadium, Wright went on to play for Brentford and Blackpool on loan before a move to Barnsley.

At Oakwell he had a spell on loan at Walsall and then Darlington before completing a free transfer move to the Quakers in January last year.

While Calderwood attempts to strengthen his attacking options, the move for defender Tim Bakens has stalled.

The Press and Journal revealed yesterday that the Dutchman was unhappy with the initial contract offer from the Dons.

Calderwood has since confirmed the wage problem and said: “I had contact from Tim’s agent on Tuesday morning. We made him an offer and the agent made us a counter-offer. If the terms we have now been quoted are what he wants then he will not be coming"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ally s

I wouldn't be impressed if this story about Wright is true, he must be bad if Proudlock has moved him down the pecking order.

Proudlock at one point had a really good scoring record, think that was at Wolves.

I'm not saying that he's a really good player or anything, but if we are going for Tommy Wright then I think we have to give the guy a chance. I'm sure not many of us would have seen him play - if any at all - and he's at least a bit different in the sense he hasn't played for DAFC or the Jutes or in Holland. He's a young guy too,17 in 40-odd games isn't an awful record by any means.

The name rings a bell...

But that may just be the telephone?

Was he being talked about as the next big thing a few years ago? Would be a bit concerned that hes been around so many clubs by 23 and each a step down from the last. But like Bobby say his records not bad, although having said that Julian Alsop scored over twenty for Cheltenham in League Two a few years ago and he was the worst footballer I have ever seen (that includes one legged, blind, girls playing in the local park).

Jc is quoted in the paper as saying “Getting a striker is now at the top of our agenda"  Also says “We will also sign two more defenders and another who can play in a variety of roles and that will be that."  Anyone else think that a left back should be the priority?  Dont get me wrong im ok with foster playing there as he's had some decent showings but there is no competition for the position whatsoever! 

Up front we have miller, mackie, maguire and smith (dont care if he was signed as a midfielder up front is his best position by a mile). 

Jc is quoted in the paper as saying “Getting a striker is now at the top of our agenda"  Also says “We will also sign two more defenders and another who can play in a variety of roles and that will be that."  Anyone else think that a left back should be the priority?  Dont get me wrong im ok with foster playing there as he's had some decent showings but there is no competition for the position whatsoever! 

Up front we have miller, mackie, maguire and smith (dont care if he was signed as a midfielder up front is his best position by a mile). 

Problem is I think JC seems content with Foster at LB. He is one of his favourites, just like Byrne was but he doesn't get injured very often. Unless we have a young Left back ready to step up (which I very much doubt at this moment in time).

How come you're allowed to post nonsense, but if someone else does it the post gets deleted.  ;)

It's not nonsense. It's one of our rising young defenders otherwise known as neil McVittie. The nick name needs no explanation.

And for the record.. I've not deleted a single post. Yet.

Had a quick scout around youtbue but could only find this poor footage of him scoring against Hereford

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=atJjgTtHLaU

From a related video it looks like he have some silly celebrations when he scores

Dan King, took up Darlington FC striker Tommy Wrights dance off challenge, but Tommy didn't show. That didn't stop Dan from going for it anyway on the streets of Darlington.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vYUNoE4D69E

It also looks like Darlington liked to stick him up front in a 4-5-1 formation when he was in favour.