Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

I've not really kept up to date with all things Dons related as was on holiday enjoying some sun! I see only a few minor events occurred in the last week 🤣 Hoping that Leven was the source of the victory on the weekend and we might see some sense from him again. Dundee's form is better than ours (hard not to be). Outside of the Edinburgh and Glasgow clubs, they don't tend to lose much at home this season, so don't expect much to change. It's not going to be easy, but hopefully with a back 4 and hoilett starting to get up to speed, we might see a bit more progress in the league? 

I'm guessing Shinnie is out in the cup rather than the league? 

Out
Bed
Work
Work
2-1 Dons, Shinnie + Miovski

As long as we stick to 4 at the back then we should have a chance. Suspect Leven will stick with same team as Saturday if everyone is fit. As Manc says Dundee have decent home form so not expecting this to be anything other than a difficult game. 

Oot - just too busy with work

Work

Work

Home

2-2 Miovski and McGrath

That's a honking performance so far. Barron was excellent against Killie, and good against St Mirren, but he's been terrible tonight. The game just completely passing him by. I'd maybe take Polvara on there, or perhaps take Phillips back a bit and put Clarkson on. Might as well try something out for the semi! They've basically cut out anything to Phillips and Miovski with the big lad in holding midfield. MacDonald defending well, but his passing coming out on his wrong foot is an issue. Hoilett needs to do more, he just lacks pace. I don't expect changes at halftime, but they need to come quick if we start the way we finished.

Just now, OrlandoDon said:

Here we go again. Var changes the game. Did anyone claim for the penalty? Not that we’ve done anything in this game but fuck var yet again.

Ridiculous. Ball comes over heads and skifs his arm on the way down. Absolutely unavoidable and never changed the course of the ball.

That’s the worst performance I’ve seen from us. Zero passing, heart, or desire, although I gave up so didn’t see the last 20 mins. Fuck knows what leven can do but based on that he didn’t inspire the group to perform, even try!

Aye, that was all round pish, a bit like the state of the club at the moment. Players just look disillusioned. Dundee deserved to win by one of the numerous chances that they created, but no team in the world of football deserves to win by a game ruining decision like that one. In fairness to the refs and VAR, they're doing exactly as the system instructs them. Thank fuck for the international break.

Hideous to watch. I've watched some shite with Aberdeen, particularly in the early part of this century, but at least then they had the excuse that the individual players were crap.

This is just bewildering in how far the sum of the whole is below its parts, a team with Clarkson, Duk, Devlin, Shinnie, Barron, McGrath, Miovski as options should simply not be in this situation.  I fear for us.

Edited by OxfordDon

One thing is very clear, we don't do enough work on free kicks, defending or attacking. I'm very surprised by the return of the long throw and punting freekicks into the box. We switch off at freekicks, like the one that led to their "penalty", every game. 

I think that the new manager might have to give up on Duk this season too. Hoilett was doing okay when he came off, and we were well in the game despite being off it. 

Another dreadful performance. Not a single shot on target against fucking Dundee. Admittedly if it wasn’t for a terrible VAR assisted decision to award a penalty for the ball hitting McKenzie on the shoulder it would have finished 0-0 but this team look completely broken and devoid off confidence. We never looked like scoring with us creating next to no chances for Miovski. 

Now only 3 points off play off place. 

Shocking to watch. But even more shocking is the squad depth and squad construction. What options do we have? We really cannot change formation/style unless we play mcgarry wide left and morris wide right. We don’t even have a big lump we can stick long balls up to. 
zero heart in the 70 mins I saw which is a huge concern. 

18 minutes ago, Jute said:

Another dreadful performance. Not a single shot on target against fucking Dundee. Admittedly if it wasn’t for a terrible VAR assisted decision to award a penalty for the ball hitting McKenzie on the shoulder it would have finished 0-0 but this team look completely broken and devoid off confidence. We never looked like scoring with us creating next to no chances for Miovski. 

Now only 3 points off play off place. 

Miovski needs to hold the ball first for us to get up the pitch. Never took it in once. Sokler and duk probably both had more touches in 20 minutes.

Good finisher but no heart. Moved away from defenders and sticks out a leg for a flick. He's far from blameless. We'd have been better with main up front.

It might not be his game but it's the game he was asked to play as a single striker.