Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January 2024 Transfer Window

6 hours ago, Jute said:

Agreed and I would probably include McGarry in there unless we can convert him to a left winger as just don’t see a defender in there. 

Absolutely where we should deploy him. He did well for the nix further forward. Failing that, no real point in him being with us.

23 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Absolutely where we should deploy him. He did well for the nix further forward. Failing that, no real point in him being with us.

Yep, we should take him on in the second half when we play towards the RDS and play him further forward. By around 700 metres.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

According to the bbc Matty Pollock has submitted a transfer request and wants a move away from watford. Not our first priority but worth a look?!??

Absolutely 

6 minutes ago, BigAl said:

That's Vinnie away then.

Surprisingly though it is just on loan until the end of the season.

Maybe he'll be back in pre season with a new manager and a clean slate 😉 

Well he's still got until 2026 to impress someone 🤯

I think last night confirmed more than ever that we're in desperate need of some width (Morris doesn't count) to allow the 4-5-1 to be played.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigAl said:

That's Vinnie away then.

Surprisingly though it is just on loan until the end of the season.

Maybe he'll be back in pre season with a new manager and a clean slate 😉 

He's probably on a healthy enough contract here and wants to milk it. As is his prerogative. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be honest and would like to have seen us cut ties altogether. We don't need another player returning to prove himself to fill up the squad.

16 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

According to the bbc Mattie Pollock has submitted a transfer request and wants a move away from watford. Not our first priority but worth a look?!??

I don't think we should, unless we're getting rid of Rubezic or Gartenmann isn't signing. He benefited massively from MacDonald being in the centre last season as he was very slow on the turn and to get back into position. I think he was a little overrated. Not completely averse to it, but only with space freed up, and maybe not with Robson in charge as he'd likely try and shoehorn four centre backs into the team. I think he's struggling as it is to deal with a squad of multiple players who play in the same position. If it was the summer window, I'd be much keener. 

4 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I don't think we should, unless we're getting rid of Rubezic or Gartenmann isn't signing. He benefited massively from MacDonald being in the centre last season as he was very slow on the turn and to get back into position. I think he was a little overrated. Not completely averse to it, but only with space freed up, and maybe not with Robson in charge as he'd likely try and shoehorn four centre backs into the team. I think he's struggling as it is to deal with a squad of multiple players who play in the same position. If it was the summer window, I'd be much keener. 

I should have qualified my "absolutely" with the explanation that I also was saying that on the basis that one would be going out to compensate, and the obvious one is Gartenmann given he is on loan to us, unless of course that Ange is following up on his alleged interest in Ruby and is going to chuck a multi million £'s offer on the table 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

I should have qualified my "absolutely" with the explanation that I also was saying that on the basis that one would be going out to compensate, and the obvious one is Gartenmann given he is on loan to us, unless of course that Ange is following up on his alleged interest in Ruby and is going to chuck a multi million £'s offer on the table 😉

Aye, that's the thing though, it kind of has to be Rubezic that leaves for Pollock to come in. Can anyone's heart really survive a defence of Rubezic and Pollock? Mine couldn't, it'd be frightening. We'd win a lot of headers. They're both right footed and not really good enough at football to play on their wrong side. They're both young (for defenders) prospects that we'd look to sell on and so must start. We'd have to play a back three to accommodate that. Every week. If/when we miss out on European group stages next season, we don't have the additional games for which to carry additional squad players and offer rotation. Defence isn't generally an area that lenda itself to regular rotation and we don't have a manager who can navigate that anyway.

I think we can really only afford one project in defence at a time and, for all his faults, we've chosen Rubi at this time. Pollock would be a great signing, but we'd be doing it just because he's available and for fear of missing out. The timing is wrong sadly.

Also, Milne might have something about him and we need to fully investigate that.

8 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Pollock off to Derby for a few years. We'll pick him off if he turns out to be a player.

Nothing official on that Rico and it appears as if the source of that story is reckoned to be somewhat dubious.

Expect broom cupboard photo later today 😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, manc_don said:

Who is this Campbell some folk seem to be mentioning online? Have I missed something? Seriously concerning if we’re not looking to strengthen this window. Or maybe do the board not trust him? 

Allan, ex Motherwell I assume.

14 hours ago, manc_don said:

Or maybe do the board not trust him? 

Hopefully we've learned the lesson of McInnes' final window here. You simply can't afford to miss one out, it sets you back two at least. We should have the structure in place where trusting Robson or not is irrelevant. We've got an independent recruitment team who can target players and the manager is just a small part of that (or that certainly seems to be our strategy - a good one). You don't need to do a great deal in a January window, just keep things ticking over with getting rid of deadwood and adding players in key positions where it's clear to everyone we're lacking. Also, identify pre-contracts and try and have them in place (preferably before the window closes, which might provoke the parent club to sell on the cheap). We're not building a squad. 

Not doing this in McInnes' last window killed Glass' tenure completely. It'd be a disaster if the board hadn't learned that lesson.

• Like 1

I think we also learned last winter window that two or three signings can completely change a season. Bringing in pollock and Macdonald really help turn things around. Bringing in two wingers could have the same effect. Obviously many including me have commented about the lack of a Rama replacement , but we do have options for center mid. Carrying a squad with little or no wide midfield options is killing us, we all see that. I’ll be stunned if this isn’t rectified in this window, at the very least with loan deals.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Killian Phillips joins on loan from Crystal Palace until end of the season.

Described as a versatile midfielder

Was he not linked with someone else? Sure I've seen the name before. Anyway, will be interesting to see what is meant by versatile. I was really hoping we wouldn't get another midfielder, I don't want us to return to Clarkson sitting behind two, but Robson is absolutely adamant that is what's happening. Wonder how long it'll take to realise that this guy isn't Ramadani either, and we're now stuck with another fucking midfielder that we need to shoehorn into the side? 

8 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Was he not linked with someone else? Sure I've seen the name before. Anyway, will be interesting to see what is meant by versatile. I was really hoping we wouldn't get another midfielder, I don't want us to return to Clarkson sitting behind two, but Robson is absolutely adamant that is what's happening. Wonder how long it'll take to realise that this guy isn't Ramadani either, and we're now stuck with another fucking midfielder that we need to shoehorn into the side? 

We were linked with a move for him back in the summer window Rico.

"Versatile" seems to mean attacking from what I have read so far.

• Like 1

Philips had great energy and you know there is a player in there somewhere but he just didn't deliver enough. He's not a box to box midfielder, he's not a 10, so am not sure where he could really play.”

Sounds like all the midfielders we already have.