Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Out Of Contract Summer 2021

So after this year's highly unusual scenario of virtually no one being out of contract in the summer, 2021 takes on a totally different look with a number of players currently being free to talk to other clubs in a matter of just over three months so here is the list together with my thoughts on what we should be doing with them.

Tomas Cerny - Wanting to move back to central belt so thanks Tomas, a very able deputy but good bye

Shay Logan - Club hold an option of a further year. A lot here depends upon Hernandez. If he can prove to be the replacement he should be given the price we paid then probably thanks for memories Shay

Andrew Considine - Another where we hold a further year option. No brainer for me. Exercise the extension

Michael Devlin - Bye bye Mikey. 

Ash Taylor - This is surely the one that will split decisions. Played well in first season back, but still prone to brain fart moments. If he keeps it simple then Taylor is competent enough against anyone bar possibly two teams in this league. Provided he realises his limitations and isn't on a massive wage then I'd keep him

Connor McLennan - Has never quite kicked on. Probably put him out on loan before the end of this window and see how he gets on. Struggles to make a position in the team his own 

Ethan Ross - Two year extension. Needs game time so out on loan again

Scott Wright - The one upon whom my opinion has changed. Get the contract extension in front of him now

Miko Virtanen - on loan to Arbroath. Needs game time so loan the right thing for him. Don't know if he can make the step up but prepared to give him a one or two year extension in order to find out

Curtis Main - Release

Niall McGinn - Heart says extension, head says no extension. Will go for a one year deal

Bruce Anderson- Had high hopes but not sure this boy is going to make it with us. Might well be another Shankland as in may require to drop down a level and get the shock of possibly having wasted his chance of making it to get his act together. Release

3 hours ago, TheDeeDon said:

If we have turned a corner with our style of play then we simply must get rid of Main.

Not as bad as I thought and gives you 100% on the pitch, but we are never going to build the club if we are happy with that Main as a standard of player.

Agreed. I would add that it was very obvious up front in that regard. A poor signing, never good enough at the basics of fitba. 

I would put Taylor in same category as Main. Not the sort of player who we should have if we want to progress as a team. Distribution alone should see him moved on. 

Anderson needs to move on as he will not get the long run in the team he needs to develop at Aberdeen. 

Liked the look of Virtanen when I have seen him play but cannot see him displacing any of the current midfield players at the club so expect him to be freed. 

Wright needs a new deal sorted ASAP. 

Not sure we can afford both Devlin and Hoban on same team given injury history of both. If Hoban signs an extension in January would let Devlin go. 

11 hours ago, Jute said:

I would put Taylor in same category as Main. Not the sort of player who we should have if we want to progress as a team. Distribution alone should see him moved on. 

Anderson needs to move on as he will not get the long run in the team he needs to develop at Aberdeen. 

Liked the look of Virtanen when I have seen him play but cannot see him displacing any of the current midfield players at the club so expect him to be freed. 

Wright needs a new deal sorted ASAP. 

Not sure we can afford both Devlin and Hoban on same team given injury history of both. If Hoban signs an extension in January would let Devlin go. 

Get Devlin to fuck. Shite attitude (from what i've heard) and has been shite for a good two seasons. Certainly not lived up to his original hype.  I certainly hope Hoban signs on.

Anderson is a funny one, I actually don't think he has it in him (currently). Agreed, he has to move on for his own sake. What happens to him beyond AFC, i'm not sure.

19 hours ago, BigAl said:

So no one got any opinion on any of them other than Main ?

I would ditch Taylor and Devlin. Bar an initial promising start from Devlin it has not really happened for him here, despite him winning Scotland caps, so best for both parties to agree to a parting of the ways.

Whilst I don't think Ash is the worse defender we have ever had, far from it, I felt it was a mistake him coming back and his performances have not convinced me to change my mind, signing players Like McRorie and Hoban show the quality we need and I don't think Ash improves us quality wise.

I would like to see Virtanen get a game for us, just think there is a decent player in him, though I doubt we will see it. 

Anderson I think he is a great finisher and would probably benefit from playing in our current team, but under DM we play one up front and that is not his style, so I feel he would benefit from a move away and honestly wouldn't be surprised if he did a Shankland.

Mclennan I am not convinced about, but I do think he is better through the middle than as a winger, where we usually see him, but like Anderson and Virtanen I just don't see it happening form him with us.

Happy to offer Wright a deal too, he would be the priority for me and would keep McGinn and Logan, although it would be on reduced terms with them knowing they will not be first choices.

Tomas Cerny - Bye, Tomas.

Shay Logan - A year extension 

Andrew Considine - A Ten year extension.

Michael Devlin - He seemed like the defender we had that would be our 'Mckenna' before we had our Mckenna. He's also got 3 caps while with us. But... He's only played 49 games for us since he signed for us back in Jan 2018 and his demeanor in the games I've been able to see on TV has been a bit 'meh'. So I'm not sure if we punt him or give him another year to see if he can pull his arse in.

Ash Taylor - As said before, played well last season but he's been dog shit this season. I think it's time for him to go.

Connor McLennan - I'm sure there is a player in McLennan, but not sure if we will find it. I can see him going to another team and playing really well. For him to get that he needs to go. That's a shame.

Ethan Ross - Not seen enough of him to say.

Scott Wright - Playing well at the moment. But, he has needed Hedges to come on to a game for him to play well. If Hedges form drop it will be interesting to see how he goes. Would still give him a Two year contract as we know he has it in him.

Miko Virtanen - Not seen enough of him to say.

Curtis Main - Release

Niall McGinn - I would give him a year as he can still change a game.

Bruce Anderson- Same as Connor Mclennan.

It would not be a big deal if all of these players were released, provided we fill up the squad for next year. In my eyes, none are key players. With the way Wright is playing I think he's now earned an extension/new contract, plus he seems to bring the best out in Hedges which helps. 

No clue about Virtanen and Ethan Ross, cheap extension, maybe loan out or release.

Main, Taylor, Devlin - release, not good enough for our ambitions. Use as bait for new signing and a swap plus cash to Motherwell, St Mirren or the likes.

Anderson, McLennan - I don't think they will be given the playing time to develop. Move them on.

McGinn, Logan - I think they are passed it and we should be developing youth here. Too expensive to fill the bench. Kennedy has replaced McGinn and Hernandez replaced Logan anyway.

Considine - I get slated for saying this but I've never really been a fan. Love that he's a die hard don but he's like Taylor in my eyes, always prone to an error, give away a penalty etc., but unlike Taylor still gets us goals. I'd rather have Greg Leigh at left back and in central defense he's slow and prone to diving in. It worries me having a back 3 right now including him and Taylor. I think he'll be a cheap extension so fine to keep.

Cerny - I'd rather we developed youth and worst case bring an experienced keeper on loan if Lewis gets injured and we don't feel the youth is ready.

• 4 weeks later...

Wright needs a new deal ASAP and Considine isn't gong anywhere. 

Maclennan is still relatively young and does have potential. If we gave him a couple of years extension I'm sure we could get him out on loan to a bottom six team where he would play every week and hopefully push on.

Virtanen and Ross I don't know. 

The rest I wouldn't be too fussed if they left.

I think McGinn can do it for us still as a back-up so a year extension I would be fine with. Logan has been a great servant but I don't think hes got it anymore although if he did get a 1 year extension as a back-up It wouldn't overly bother me. 

Devlin just hasn't really worked out, It might be best for both parties if he moved on.

As others have said Main was never good enough. Neither is Ash Taylor if we want to push on. 

Cerny seems a good back-up, but is probably not hard to replace if he does want to move on.

• 4 weeks later...