Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Restaurants recommended

That was in relation to Muchacho on Rose Street, which I recommended in another thread.

Just had lunch there, 3 Tacos for the price of 2 on Tuesdays. I said the Punch in the Face hottest salsa wasn't unearthly hot, well the ballpark has changed! Was speaking to the lassie that owns it today - well, her and her boyfriend do - and said that the sauce was hotter than usual. They had identified that the hottest wasn't hot enough and have added chilli paste to the mix in their preparation. It's still not mental hot but boy it has the real kick now that it didn't before so perfect, just the way I like it.

New beef filling introduced today and these little pancake things she gave me to try - free today apparently, pronounced "emperlada" maybe? - were magic.

Empeñadas. Pronounced empenyadas, hope this helps you the next time rocket!

• 3 weeks later...

Stumbled into Mamma Pizza in Belmont Street last night. Never seen it before but the enthusiasm of the Italian owner convinced us. Great decision. All ingredients (including flour) imported from Italy and very reasonably priced. Totally authentic taste and very good food. I defy anyone to go further up the road to the chain after discovering this.

was out at eat on the green two weeks back, thought it was good, a set menu but everything was fine.

i cant fault it, BUT i only went because i was given a voucher and if i'm being really honest i wouldn't want to pay that kind of money for a meal again, i've had just as good/better meals at easily half the price.

was in a tiny wee Italian place in sneckie the week before that, food was outstanding and for 3 courses (plus wee nibble things) and a litre of red it was only about 70 quid, recommend it if ever up that way, a booking is the best bet, think there was only about a dozen tables and it was rammed, they turned away heaps of folk while we were eating.

• 1 month later...

Wagamama at the Academy has gone, replaced by a Cuban restaurant of all things. It must be the most popular place in town just now. Has anyone eaten there yet?

We went in last week for a cocktail - the Brazilian one at the bottom of the page, wonderful - saw the menu for the first time but couldn't get a table at 6. Then after Pittodrie, phoned to see if we could get a table but again fully booked. Must be doing something very good. Owned by the same people who own Revolution apparently.

Lunch at Revolucion de Cuba today. Outstanding and great value. We are teetotal every January this century but Sunday to Weds all cocktails are £4.50 and they're very good both in terms of taste and alcohol injection. 40% off everything this month if you book a table online (which I didn't - doh) so just do it. Something different for Aberdeen and something very very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the oldest Italian restaurant in the UK today, established 1922.

Name that tune?

It has been years/decades since we were last in but the food was excellent, if not the service. The Eberdeen lassie was brilliant. The owner and presumably his son were lazy disinterested bastards, going through the motions.

Functional rather than special. Might go back but probably won't. Didn't like his pink Polo (long-sleeve) shirt and tan belt.

Went to the oldest Italian restaurant in the UK today, established 1922.

Name that tune?

It has been years/decades since we were last in but the food was excellent, if not the service. The Eberdeen lassie was brilliant. The owner and presumably his son were lazy disinterested bastards, going through the motions.

Functional rather than special. Might go back but probably won't. Didn't like his pink Polo (long-sleeve) shirt and tan belt.

La Lombarda. Usually decent.

I know this is about Aberdeen restaurants,  but I just wanted to warn everyone. If you're ever in Hackney, never ever go to Okko on Broadway market. Nice sushi. Very nice in fact, but the sashimi was the worst I've ever had. I even had better in some shit all you can eat Asian buffet in Paris. Salmon had bones and the tuna had some skin or fat that I never knew existed in tuna. Shame they served it last because the sushi was really something. Really disappointing. Oh, and naked gyozas? Gtf.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Madame Mews. In the New Market. Last time I mind being in there was 1976 when I bought Queen's Night at the Opera. Well this place was recommended to us so we went in yesterday. A starter, two main courses and a couple of drinks = less than £20. It was full of Thai folk so that was a good early sign. Fucking tremendous. I ended up

loving my wife's no. 38 - chicken in tamarind sauce - as much as my chilli beef but what a fantastic find.

Going to visit the HK cafe next door next as it was full of Chinese folk. Can't beat that as an endorsement although our recommender was selling the trip advisor ratings hard. He needn't have. Not only are ratings subjective and capable of exploitation, the food at Madame Mews is just the best value for money ever.

The Sushi Box in the Market is fantastic too if you like Japanese food. It's run by actual Japanese wifies. The pork ramen is highly recommended. If only all those people queuing for a table in Wagamama knew what was a couple of hundred metres up the road.

Also had a great lunch at Castleton Farm near Fordoun last week. Peppered steak baguette was sublime.

Went to sake no hana near green Park for my birthday. It was good, but I don't think I'd go unless we had a deal. The interior was done by one of my favourite Japanese architects but the service was mediocre. Nice food, but check if you can get a deal. Otherwise, don't bother. They're part of the hakkasan group who own multiple restaurants and one out in Vegas.

Rajpoot Indian in Inverurie, absolutely top notch food.  Service wasn't the quickest but we were in no rush, drinks on the house after our meal - well worth a visit.  :thumbsup:

I think this may be the place that won a big U.K. wide award recently, the place owned by the same guy who has the Light of Bengal. So it doesn't surprise me that it's good. There's nothing else that could attract me to Inverurie so must pay a visit sometime.