Author Topic: AFC aspirations  (Read 2607 times)

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -163
Re: AFC aspirations
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 02:10:56 PM »
Bang on the money as usual.

Fuck it, lets win the league! It's wide open with lots of teams capable of taking points off one another.
 :ultras:

Anyone who thinks this squad under McInnes is good enough to win the SPFL in May knows football not. Beating two teams who haven't been good enough to earn 10 points in this first half of the season and you think it's possible? Were you not at the St Johnstone game 10 days ago? Have you not been watching all year?

Gluepot.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
Correct. Celtic have been poor up till now but had a particularly bad transfer window in August compounded by a few injuries and the Thumb's mental breakdown. They'll spend cash in January of a level that no one else in Scotland can contemplate to rectify their shortcomings and despite still suffering the odd setback away from home on the way, will have the league title wrapped up with at least a month of the season to go.

Second place however, is very much up for grabs. Sevco will spend around 5 million in January but Slippy G is no tactical genius and his summer recruits generally have proved to be meh at best and utter shyte in a few cases. Should McKenna be sold, there are relatively cheap potential stars all over central, eastern and northern Europe just waiting to be plucked. Do I trust DM to find them.......do I fuck sadly.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »
Second place however, is very much up for grabs.

Yes it is, to match our "achievements" of the last four years. As you said in the other thread, there has been some "astonishing" turnarounds in this league this season, and the fact that Aberdeen even have a chance of second is pretty astonishing to me, given how appalling we started and how weak the Old Firm have been, Celtic getting only 69% (just less) of points available and Sevco less than 67%.

Our 61.1% points won is pretty much in line of what we normally get I would reckon but when we talk about "aspirations", i ALWAYS aspire to be the best that I can be or that we can be and in terms of AFC, our top target MUST be, ALWAYS, to win the league. I'm not convinced that this is even the goal at our club, certainly not in the boardroom and not within McInnes's journeyman head neither.

Online RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 72
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
Should McKenna be sold, there are relatively cheap potential stars all over central, eastern and northern Europe just waiting to be plucked. Do I trust DM to find them.......do I fuck sadly.

I've asked on a few different threads in the past, and I'm still waiting for this mythical claim to be evidenced. Perhaps you can help?

Which club in Scotland (or the UK if you prefer) have produced a regular return of players from a scouting network in central, eastern and northern europe?

Which teams currently have a scouting network in central, eastern and southern europe? Which countries within that/those regions should we be looking at?

What number of games would you expect a scout to be able to take in within an average week featuring players within our budget range?

What would the distances travelled be and costs associated with that travel be (i.e what size of scouting network would be required)?

Why do you think that players in mainland Europe or Scandinavia are a better fit for Scottish fitba than players in England?

Do you think that this increase in suitability/fit outweighs the difficulty in getting a player to settle?

Post Brexit, will we have to return them all?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 06:27:57 PM »
Hearts for a start. Sure theyve signed some dross but theyve got Haring who would be in our team without a doubt, Zlamal their 'keeper, Bozanic and some guy who signed a pre contract in summer who is joining them in January.

Hibs......Kamberi who is Swiss i think and Slievka from one of the Baltic states.

Hamilton.........Mucha a Slovakian, and Tshiembe....African but signed from a Danish club

Dundee......Kamara who is Finnish as is Kallman. Mendy who is Norwegian

Even the caravan dwellers have Safranko who is being touted for a move to a bigger club

Quod erat demonstrandum

Offline bearsdenred

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 12
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 08:09:39 PM »
dont flame me down, yet.

but would Rory Mckenzie be a good addition to midfield once we free up some postions.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 08:40:16 PM »
dont flame me down, yet.

but would Rory Mckenzie be a good addition to midfield once we free up some postions.

Not in my opinion.
Thanks but no thanks
Alan Power however, now thats a different matter all together
Steve warm his seat up

Online RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 72
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 10:15:49 PM »
Hearts for a start. Sure theyve signed some dross but theyve got Haring who would be in our team without a doubt, Zlamal their 'keeper, Bozanic and some guy who signed a pre contract in summer who is joining them in January.

Hibs......Kamberi who is Swiss i think and Slievka from one of the Baltic states.

Hamilton.........Mucha a Slovakian, and Tshiembe....African but signed from a Danish club

Dundee......Kamara who is Finnish as is Kallman. Mendy who is Norwegian

Even the caravan dwellers have Safranko who is being touted for a move to a bigger club

Quod erat demonstrandum

You didn't answer the questions. Which of these clubs have a scouting network on the continent? I didn't ask you to name foreigners. Aberdeen are perfectly capable of signing the occasional foreigner on recommendation, and that's exactly what these clubs are doing (Kamara from Dundee, signed from England, probably recommending his Finnish u21 teammate for example). They aren't establishing a reliable network of scouts that would be required to get a significant return on the continent because they won't spend the money, whereas all of the above teams have English-based scouts. Of the above, only Kamberi could be classed as a legitimitally decent foreign import (and even he was weak as watery pish against us recently), but he was a loan punt in the January window. There simply isn't a club getting a good return on foreign investment at the moment in our league. The fact that we're pish at signing players shouldn't be answered by giving our scouts even more uselss cunts to look at.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -115
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »
you could say celtic wanyama, van dijk, dembele, admittedly signed some diddies also, Nicham will probably go for decent money at some point also
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2018, 11:24:03 AM »
The knee jerk reactions by some fans are comical and the fact that some were writing off the season on this thread on October 2nd says it all.  McInnes was being slated, Lennon was a much better manager, Hearts were out of sight, Cosgrove was deemed not good enough.  What a load of nonsense.  Players and managers need time. 

Realistically, we won't win the league but it looks like another decent season.  We are just a few points off the top of the league at the end of the year and have made it to a cup final.  Yes, the style of play has been pretty poor up until now but we now look like a team again.

Stand free.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2018, 12:02:04 PM »
The knee jerk reactions by some fans are comical and the fact that some were writing off the season on this thread on October 2nd says it all.

You appear not to have the balls to confront directly.

For the record, September wasn't even over when I said we had blown the league and I stand by that. We're not a good enough squad and our manager isn't good enough... to win the league. Plus we hadn't got off to the flying start we needed to have to create our first opportunity in over 30 years to win the league.

What's so comical? This thread is about aspirations. I questioned what the club actually wants to achieve. What do you as an individual fan hope for? Does coming 2nd again give you warm fuzzies?

What's knee jerk? Were we wrong to think this would not be our first title for a third of a century?

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -115
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »
the line up tactics etc then were pish... and we were chopping and changing... so looks like he has learned.... game saturday is major and will indicate whether we are up for it or not
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »
You appear not to have the balls to confront directly.

For the record, September wasn't even over when I said we had blown the league and I stand by that. We're not a good enough squad and our manager isn't good enough... to win the league. Plus we hadn't got off to the flying start we needed to have to create our first opportunity in over 30 years to win the league.

What's so comical? This thread is about aspirations. I questioned what the club actually wants to achieve. What do you as an individual fan hope for? Does coming 2nd again give you warm fuzzies?

What's knee jerk? Were we wrong to think this would not be our first title for a third of a century?

It was actually a general point as to how fickle the average fitba fan can be, not directed at you specifically.  Stop being so paranoid, not everyone wants to pick a fight on this site although you seem to want to each time you post something.

The knee jerk aspect I was referring to is not writing off the prospect of winning the title, it's writing off the whole season after a matter of a few games, which many did. 

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2018, 01:00:54 PM »
It was actually a general point as to how fickle the average fitba fan can be, not directed at you specifically.  Stop being so paranoid, not everyone wants to pick a fight on this site although you seem to want to each time you post something.

The knee jerk aspect I was referring to is not writing off the prospect of winning the title, it's writing off the whole season after a matter of a few games, which many did. 

I'm not being paranoid. I'm being sickened by your weakness, your unwillingness to confront the posters making points you disagree with turning my stomach.

I wrote off the whole season from a WINNING THE LEAGUE point of view. Once again, I reiterate that this thread is about aspirations. Once again, I ask, what are yours?

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -17
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2018, 02:00:41 PM »
I'm not being paranoid. I'm being sickened by your weakness, your unwillingness to confront the posters making points you disagree with turning my stomach.

I wrote off the whole season from a WINNING THE LEAGUE point of view. Once again, I reiterate that this thread is about aspirations. Once again, I ask, what are yours?

Perhaps you should have said that in the OP rather than trying to dig yourself out of yet another hole.

Offline Dunty

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
Now that the league is over for yet another year - before the end of September - what are your hopes and dreams?

I don't give a fuck what any survey says. I don't need to hear the views of others to know what I think.

Ram it.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2018, 03:47:25 PM »
Perhaps you should have said that in the OP rather than trying to dig yourself out of yet another hole.

You, like that other cunt, are so obsessed with trying to catch me out, you aren't reading straight. I know it's frustrating being you but that's really not my fault.

Now quote the OP and elsewhere and show me where I've contradicted myself?

You on the other hand are so ignorant about football and so happy clapper after a 90+ minute winner against Livi and beating the worst two teams in the SPFL that you said, specifically, on this thread, that Aberdeen can win the league this year. Fucking gluepot.

Offline CtS

• Captain
  • Rating: 116
  • In like Flynn.
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 02:18:57 AM »
As a fan who apparently falls into this ridiculous ‘happy clapper’ category, I’d love to be able to understand the negativity that seems to infect sections of our support. Why would someone even bother attending matches, reading about the day to day happenings at the club, offering comment on social media, when there’s nothing positive, appealing, or aspirational about it? What’s the point?

I wouldn’t criticise anyone for giving up, walking away, and saying “enough is enough”. We all have a breaking point and none of us are under any obligation to support the club. But when that point is reached, and you’ve got nothing left to offer apart from criticism and negativity, is it not maybe time to go and get another hobby?

Do I think we’ll win the league? No. Will I enjoy the ups and downs as the season unfolds, and remain hopeful that maybe, just maybe, this MIGHT be our year.....yes I will. That hope is what keeps real fans, of real clubs, captivated. That’s the difference between us, and the ‘old firm’ or Chelsea or Manchester City....

Real fans, supporting our club, hoping for a miracle. For me these are good times, I’m glad I didn’t chuck it when McGhee was dragging us through the gutter.
<< Be young, have fun, taste Christian. >>

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
Great post CtS. As a fan who apparently falls into the negativity category, let me provide clarity and clear up a misunderstanding.

My frustration with AFC is not born from a pessimistic nature nor is it a natural propensity towards negativity. In fact, I gravitate towards the positive and explore the possibilities in everything, qualities that have served me well in life. I despise the Scottish psyche that dwells in negativity for the sake of a moan.

Like you, I live in eternal hope (that we can win the league one day). Unlike you, I do not see these as good times. Therein lies our key fundamental difference.

I don't trust Stewrat Milne and I don't rate Derek McInnes nor the majority of his many signings. I want us to be the best we can be. I always have, for a period of over 50 years. I support the club and put a lot of money into it. Any frustration I have - and it is plentiful - is not expressed towards the footballers and management at Pittodrie during performances as I always want us to win and I am well aware of the destructive power of discouragement, particularly in the modern era where the subjects are so much weaker.

Every season, I start by wanting to win the league. You obviously don't start with that hope and that's fine. This is exactly why I started this thread. I don't have a clue what the club wants and I don't even understand supporting a cause, any cause, without wanting it to be the best it can be. I can't even remember what game it was in late September (when I really should have been back at school or nicking my daddy's cue and playing pool) which prompted the thread but it would've been another abjectly miserable performance and result.

Finally, don't make the mistake of wrongly thinking that my use of the term happy clapper might apply to you. It was used in a bespoke manner, directed to one particular individual and in response to yet another personal attack. I love your hope and enthusiasm. I just wish you demanded more from AFC. Actually, my only demand is that the club runs honestly and strives to overachieve, a concept in sport excellently articulated by Doc Eliot of (then) Rice University Texas, grandson of TS. I'm convinced the club is being run dishonestly but I'm not going to walk away and let charlatans take my club away from me. I've been around a lot longer than Messrs Milne and McInnes. I hope we will still have a club left to support after the damage this chairman is doing, one key strategy being to reduce fan expectations.

Offline CtS

• Captain
  • Rating: 116
  • In like Flynn.
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2018, 10:16:17 AM »
Well to be honest my post wasn’t directed exclusively at you either. I think it’s healthy for the powers that be to be questioned and challenged in the way you do, keep them on their toes, as you say it’s our club not theirs. But I also dislike knee-jerk reaction, over-reaction, and the negative outlook of many dons fans. At least you’re always willing to back your opinion with comprehensive theory and debate.

Kow’s been a fantastic contributor to this and other forums for many years, I respect his opinion (as I do yours) and I enjoy his wit and knowledge of the game, as well as his positive outlook.

It’s match day. See you all here later on for a good moan!  :-\
<< Be young, have fun, taste Christian. >>