Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

AFC aspirations

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearts for a start. Sure theyve signed some dross but theyve got Haring who would be in our team without a doubt, Zlamal their 'keeper, Bozanic and some guy who signed a pre contract in summer who is joining them in January.

Hibs......Kamberi who is Swiss i think and Slievka from one of the Baltic states.

Hamilton.........Mucha a Slovakian, and Tshiembe....African but signed from a Danish club

Dundee......Kamara who is Finnish as is Kallman. Mendy who is Norwegian

Even the caravan dwellers have Safranko who is being touted for a move to a bigger club

Quod erat demonstrandum

You didn't answer the questions. Which of these clubs have a scouting network on the continent? I didn't ask you to name foreigners. Aberdeen are perfectly capable of signing the occasional foreigner on recommendation, and that's exactly what these clubs are doing (Kamara from Dundee, signed from England, probably recommending his Finnish u21 teammate for example). They aren't establishing a reliable network of scouts that would be required to get a significant return on the continent because they won't spend the money, whereas all of the above teams have English-based scouts. Of the above, only Kamberi could be classed as a legitimitally decent foreign import (and even he was weak as watery pish against us recently), but he was a loan punt in the January window. There simply isn't a club getting a good return on foreign investment at the moment in our league. The fact that we're pish at signing players shouldn't be answered by giving our scouts even more uselss cunts to look at.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

The knee jerk reactions by some fans are comical and the fact that some were writing off the season on this thread on October 2nd says it all.  McInnes was being slated, Lennon was a much better manager, Hearts were out of sight, Cosgrove was deemed not good enough.  What a load of nonsense.  Players and managers need time. 

Realistically, we won't win the league but it looks like another decent season.  We are just a few points off the top of the league at the end of the year and have made it to a cup final.  Yes, the style of play has been pretty poor up until now but we now look like a team again.

Stand free.

The knee jerk reactions by some fans are comical and the fact that some were writing off the season on this thread on October 2nd says it all.

You appear not to have the balls to confront directly.

For the record, September wasn't even over when I said we had blown the league and I stand by that. We're not a good enough squad and our manager isn't good enough... to win the league. Plus we hadn't got off to the flying start we needed to have to create our first opportunity in over 30 years to win the league.

What's so comical? This thread is about aspirations. I questioned what the club actually wants to achieve. What do you as an individual fan hope for? Does coming 2nd again give you warm fuzzies?

What's knee jerk? Were we wrong to think this would not be our first title for a third of a century?

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

You appear not to have the balls to confront directly.

For the record, September wasn't even over when I said we had blown the league and I stand by that. We're not a good enough squad and our manager isn't good enough... to win the league. Plus we hadn't got off to the flying start we needed to have to create our first opportunity in over 30 years to win the league.

What's so comical? This thread is about aspirations. I questioned what the club actually wants to achieve. What do you as an individual fan hope for? Does coming 2nd again give you warm fuzzies?

What's knee jerk? Were we wrong to think this would not be our first title for a third of a century?

It was actually a general point as to how fickle the average fitba fan can be, not directed at you specifically.  Stop being so paranoid, not everyone wants to pick a fight on this site although you seem to want to each time you post something.

The knee jerk aspect I was referring to is not writing off the prospect of winning the title, it's writing off the whole season after a matter of a few games, which many did. 

It was actually a general point as to how fickle the average fitba fan can be, not directed at you specifically.  Stop being so paranoid, not everyone wants to pick a fight on this site although you seem to want to each time you post something.

The knee jerk aspect I was referring to is not writing off the prospect of winning the title, it's writing off the whole season after a matter of a few games, which many did. 

I'm not being paranoid. I'm being sickened by your weakness, your unwillingness to confront the posters making points you disagree with turning my stomach.

I wrote off the whole season from a WINNING THE LEAGUE point of view. Once again, I reiterate that this thread is about aspirations. Once again, I ask, what are yours?

I'm not being paranoid. I'm being sickened by your weakness, your unwillingness to confront the posters making points you disagree with turning my stomach.

I wrote off the whole season from a WINNING THE LEAGUE point of view. Once again, I reiterate that this thread is about aspirations. Once again, I ask, what are yours?

Perhaps you should have said that in the OP rather than trying to dig yourself out of yet another hole.

Perhaps you should have said that in the OP rather than trying to dig yourself out of yet another hole.

You, like that other cunt, are so obsessed with trying to catch me out, you aren't reading straight. I know it's frustrating being you but that's really not my fault.

Now quote the OP and elsewhere and show me where I've contradicted myself?

You on the other hand are so ignorant about football and so happy clapper after a 90+ minute winner against Livi and beating the worst two teams in the SPFL that you said, specifically, on this thread, that Aberdeen can win the league this year. Fucking gluepot.

As a fan who apparently falls into this ridiculous ‘happy clapper’ category, I’d love to be able to understand the negativity that seems to infect sections of our support. Why would someone even bother attending matches, reading about the day to day happenings at the club, offering comment on social media, when there’s nothing positive, appealing, or aspirational about it? What’s the point?

I wouldn’t criticise anyone for giving up, walking away, and saying “enough is enough”. We all have a breaking point and none of us are under any obligation to support the club. But when that point is reached, and you’ve got nothing left to offer apart from criticism and negativity, is it not maybe time to go and get another hobby?

Do I think we’ll win the league? No. Will I enjoy the ups and downs as the season unfolds, and remain hopeful that maybe, just maybe, this MIGHT be our year.....yes I will. That hope is what keeps real fans, of real clubs, captivated. That’s the difference between us, and the ‘old firm’ or Chelsea or Manchester City....

Real fans, supporting our club, hoping for a miracle. For me these are good times, I’m glad I didn’t chuck it when McGhee was dragging us through the gutter.

Great post CtS. As a fan who apparently falls into the negativity category, let me provide clarity and clear up a misunderstanding.

My frustration with AFC is not born from a pessimistic nature nor is it a natural propensity towards negativity. In fact, I gravitate towards the positive and explore the possibilities in everything, qualities that have served me well in life. I despise the Scottish psyche that dwells in negativity for the sake of a moan.

Like you, I live in eternal hope (that we can win the league one day). Unlike you, I do not see these as good times. Therein lies our key fundamental difference.

I don't trust Stewrat Milne and I don't rate Derek McInnes nor the majority of his many signings. I want us to be the best we can be. I always have, for a period of over 50 years. I support the club and put a lot of money into it. Any frustration I have - and it is plentiful - is not expressed towards the footballers and management at Pittodrie during performances as I always want us to win and I am well aware of the destructive power of discouragement, particularly in the modern era where the subjects are so much weaker.

Every season, I start by wanting to win the league. You obviously don't start with that hope and that's fine. This is exactly why I started this thread. I don't have a clue what the club wants and I don't even understand supporting a cause, any cause, without wanting it to be the best it can be. I can't even remember what game it was in late September (when I really should have been back at school or nicking my daddy's cue and playing pool) which prompted the thread but it would've been another abjectly miserable performance and result.

Finally, don't make the mistake of wrongly thinking that my use of the term happy clapper might apply to you. It was used in a bespoke manner, directed to one particular individual and in response to yet another personal attack. I love your hope and enthusiasm. I just wish you demanded more from AFC. Actually, my only demand is that the club runs honestly and strives to overachieve, a concept in sport excellently articulated by Doc Eliot of (then) Rice University Texas, grandson of TS. I'm convinced the club is being run dishonestly but I'm not going to walk away and let charlatans take my club away from me. I've been around a lot longer than Messrs Milne and McInnes. I hope we will still have a club left to support after the damage this chairman is doing, one key strategy being to reduce fan expectations.

Well to be honest my post wasn’t directed exclusively at you either. I think it’s healthy for the powers that be to be questioned and challenged in the way you do, keep them on their toes, as you say it’s our club not theirs. But I also dislike knee-jerk reaction, over-reaction, and the negative outlook of many dons fans. At least you’re always willing to back your opinion with comprehensive theory and debate.

Kow’s been a fantastic contributor to this and other forums for many years, I respect his opinion (as I do yours) and I enjoy his wit and knowledge of the game, as well as his positive outlook.

It’s match day. See you all here later on for a good moan!  :-\

But I also dislike knee-jerk reaction, over-reaction, and the negative outlook of many dons fans.

If you don't like it, confront it. Address the poster directly. Quote his words that you disagree with. It's the only way. Honesty is always the best policy. It is kowardly to throw out generalist criticisms of others without specificity, especially when you are having a go at fellow Dons fans, the danger being tarring us all with the same brush.

For the record, I don't believe the "Aberdeen and the NE is full of negative cunts" line. This is a myth, put about for reasons I fail to comprehend which may or may not include ignorance of negativity levels in the whole of the country.

Well to be honest my post wasn’t directed exclusively at you either. I think it’s healthy for the powers that be to be questioned and challenged in the way you do, keep them on their toes, as you say it’s our club not theirs. But I also dislike knee-jerk reaction, over-reaction, and the negative outlook of many dons fans. At least you’re always willing to back your opinion with comprehensive theory and debate.

Kow’s been a fantastic contributor to this and other forums for many years, I respect his opinion (as I do yours) and I enjoy his wit and knowledge of the game, as well as his positive outlook.

It’s match day. See you all here later on for a good moan!  :-\

Only if we don't win.

Nonsense.  We're Aberdonian, we're not happy unless we're miserable - a mere win isn't going to change that  :thumbsup:

I'm an Ayrshire lad and personally I find the cunts down here a hell of a lot worse than the cunts from Aberdeen! Spent 3 years on and off living & working in Aberdeen and they were delightful people, especially Elgindon, he's a legend. Also was invited up last year to an ex colleagues wedding and another is now a personal best friend, good cunts  :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

As another campaign begins, I reflect on my own position as an ex-supporter and where I differ from you lot.

I've always been an optimist rather than a pessimist, have always considered my glass to be half full and definitely have a growth rather than a fixed mindset. But the thing we need is hope and with McInnes operating under Milne, I see nothing but hopeless. I can't even fathom where any potential for hope can exist under the current set up.

With the additional journeymen getting signed on wages that journeymen get, do any of you carry hope that we can win anything this season? Or is hoping for a cup or the league not part of the equation anymore? I know Scottish fitba is of a shite standard but are we like Hamilton or Dundee now, starting a season knowing that we are going to win fuck all?

As another campaign begins, I reflect on my own position as an ex-supporter and where I differ from you lot.

I've always been an optimist rather than a pessimist, have always considered my glass to be half full and definitely have a growth rather than a fixed mindset. But the thing we need is hope and with McInnes operating under Milne, I see nothing but hopeless. I can't even fathom where any potential for hope can exist under the current set up.

With the additional journeymen getting signed on wages that journeymen get, do any of you carry hope that we can win anything this season? Or is hoping for a cup or the league not part of the equation anymore? I know Scottish fitba is of a shite standard but are we like Hamilton or Dundee now, starting a season knowing that we are going to win fuck all?

I really am torn on McInnes RS, and what exactly he's trying to do. The winning fuck all could have been so different had we won a couple of these Finals we've got too, but we didn't.

My pet hate amongst many is " At least we're reaching Finals etc.... " maybe so, but you win fuck all for reaching them, so it's irrelevant. I feel he's a safe bet, I predicted a 4th place finish last season, hoping the Cups would provide a much needed distraction, I was right to an extent ( Smug cunt ) but you could see it a mile away, the Football was utterly turgid and he didn't seem to change it up. We play 1 Striker and send hopeless punts up to him, then folk moan that the lone Striker is pish and that he's the problem, yet he scored 21 goals last season with shite service. The very same people then Champion the absolutely dire Stevie May to replace him, the same guy that's played 67 times, netting 6 goals and assisting 4 goals & looks like he literally shits himself when presented with a decent chance in front of goal.

I suppose for me personally, as I said on a thread the other day there, we should aiming to win the League until it's mathematically impossible, we should lift at least one Domestic Trophy every year and hopefully qualify for the Group Stages of the Europa League, that's my aspirations and I feel that they are not out of reach.

A different manager may well have came in and progressed us, continuing on from the foundations that McInnes has lay, much like he did when Brown stepped down, but people are happy to argue that, as I said there, " we're reaching Semi Finals and Finals "  ::)

I only speak for myself of course, I don't particularly like the cunt, nor do I hate him, I just wish we'd let teams worry about us rather than the opposite. He has recruited what seems like on paper, a decent squad this season, compared to previous seasons, this is probably my last season giving him the benefit of the doubt, because this is his 6th year I believe? He's had more than enough time to deliver another Trophy, qualify for Europa League Group Stages etc...

My thoughts on McInnes are well documented. I feel he has taken us as far as he can.....but having said that he's facing a system where 2 clubs have such a financial advantage over the rest that success really only can be gauged by qualifying for Europe each year given our financial advantage over the rest of the clubs (I'd suggest getting through 2 rounds in Europe isn't unreasonable an expectation every year and 3 rounds every 2nd year). Whilst DM achieves this I guess the board view him as value for money. "Better the devil you know" if you like.

On a smaller scale, we are a bit like Man City or Chelsea were 25 years ago. Able to win a trophy occasionally given a decent draw and a bit of luck but totally unable to compete in the league due to the financial advantages enjoyed by the top clubs. They only became truly "big clubs" once Abramovich and the middle east consortium at Citeh came riding in on their white horses bearing gifts of hundreds of millions. Celtic have that on a smaller scale with Dermot Desmond (plus a biscuit tin swollen by Champions league cash). Sevco are conjuring up cash out of thin air and no doubt are reliant on selling Morelos for £15million plus to maker their financial "model" work. But in the interim their mahoosive squad means that 2nd should now be guaranteed every year although it's doubtful they can topple Celtic as champions purely as Celtic can spend £10million on a player if they have to and will spend big if 10IAR looks in any way under threat.

We are what we are RS. We know we have directors onboard already who could bung £50million into the kitty and not even blink but they choose not to do so. (I believe Desmond at Celtic would dip into his pocket if the necessity arose). I'll never ever be an "ex-supporter" though as you describe yourself. I'll continue with blind hope every season that" this is the one". Knowing full well it isn't....under the status quo

1. Whilst DM achieves this I guess the board view him as value for money. "Better the devil you know" if you like.

2. I'll never ever be an "ex-supporter" though as you describe yourself. I'll continue with blind hope every season that" this is the one". Knowing full well it isn't....under the status quo

1. Therein lies the principal problem. The board - Milne, with less than 30% of the shares last time they bothered to post out the annual accounts - is NOT interested in success on the pitch, only in pursuing his own agenda.

2. I guess I can't be an ex-supporter after this long, over half a century. But I've been worn out by shite fitba for a period exceeding 20 years, since Milne wormed his way into the club coincidentally. So I'm no longer "supporting" in that I'm not prepared to give them any more of my money. And that's tragic. And there's many like me, the missing thousands. The status quo is not good enough and nobody's interested in change.

Hopes being dashed time and time again is a killer.

Not that we played well at all and we have one header from a corner and Joe Lewis to thank but the semi was the best bounce as an Aberdeen supporter for over 28 years, since May 1990 SC Final.

The final was an inept embarrassment as the shots stats back up. Worse though, was the spin put upon it by our hapless manager. And worse than that, at the end of the semi and the final, you lot were chanting approval for the manager!

Like the Celtic board made a mistake employing Lennon full time, thanks to their fans being so stupid too, we have a majority within our ranks who know fuck all about fuck all. The opening game of last season v. Sevco was, like the final, a total embarrassment during which our first shot on goal netted the 93rd minute equaliser. Despite beating them three times in Glasgow, we still couldn't get near to them in the league and the final table doesn't lie. If we're still in the SPFL title race in October, I'll be amazed.

• 4 weeks later...