Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Derek Whyte supporting the dons

Still thinks we will get pumped though

http://www.thisisaberdeen.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=148309&command=displayContent&sourceNode=148302&contentPK=20080016&folderPk=85371&pNodeId=148325

It's almost seven years since Aberdeen's last home win over Sunday's Scottish Cup opponents Celtic.

Derek Whyte captained an Ebbe Skovdahl side back in December 2001 to victory over Martin O'Neill's men at Pittodrie.

And the former Celt reckons Jimmy Calderwood's troops will find it tough to break that seven-year itch this weekend.

Derek, now based in Dubai, will watch the game on television and would love nothing more than to see the Dons stun Gordon Strachan's troops.

The former Scotland cap, now 39, has warned the Reds they'll need to stop Aussie ace Scott McDonald to stand any chance of causing a cup upset.

"I really fear for Aberdeen because Celtic are on such a great roll," said Whyte.

"They are scoring goals regularly and seem to be high on confidence especially on the domestic front.

"Gordon Strachan is lucky to have a huge budget to work with and it has already shown in terms of the gulf in class between Celtic and Aberdeen.

"I feel sorry for Jimmy Calderwood but things ultimately hinge on finances.

"It's like buying a new car - you would always choose a Bentley if you could afford it but Aberdeen are having to shop in a more affordable market.

"Not that long ago Scott McDonald would have been exactly the type of player Aberdeen would have gone for.

"But at £700,000 he was out of their price range although he has proved to be worth every penny at Celtic.

"If Aberdeen can stop him on Sunday then they might have a chance but it's going to be tough.

"I'd love to see Aberdeen beat Celtic , but it's a tall order."

Derek is praying the Dons awake from their slumber on Sunday in what is their last chance to grab glory this season.

He added: "I really rate Jimmy Calderwood as a manager and want him to succeed. He's rightly been demanding consistency from his players which he hasn't been getting.

"They lost to Hibs after drawing with Bayern Munich at home then lost to Kilmarnock after going out of Europe.

"It's hard for him as he's been given very little investment to work with."

Derek will always remember the wild scenes at the end of Aberdeen's last home victory over Celtic.

But he was denied a place in the famous victory train on the Pittodrie pitch.

However, he's still hoping to see similar scenes seconds after the final whistle on Sunday.

He said: "It's amazing to think it's been almost seven years since Aberdeen's last home win over Celtic.

"I can remember the goals we scored that night.

"Robbie Winters got the first with a penalty before Darren Mackie charged down keeper Rab Douglas to get the second.

"The match was just before Christmas and all the fans told us we had given them the best present ever by beating Celtic.

"It was a special time at the club as there was a real spirit within the dressing room.

"Eugene Dadi displayed that when he started the train celebration after the game.

"Unfortunately I missed that as I received a late red card but that didn't dampen my enjoyment of the celebrations."

Might not have been my favourite Dons player of all time, but by fuck could I give you all an extensive list of worse players for us than Derek Whyte

But a worse captain?

Mind an interview he gave when we were just fucking rank and the tanned cunt just giggled his way thru it, if I didn't know any better I'd have said he had just finished the hoovering immediately afore the interview.

Dick.