Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

Which part? I didn't think that were was too much issue with what he said there. They're not going to be paying £8M for him, they'd just tell us to stick it. Do you think we shouldn't be accepting less like? Do you think anyone would pay that? I'm not convinced, but I could be way wrong. I think £3.5M is a fairly hefty offer like.

It was comments about Aberdeen not being a passing team that were illiterate guff though, the little fuckwit. To think he is/has been a pundit at some point.

The part that confirms that Celtic won't come close to matching our valuation.

Regardless of whether anyone thinks our valuation is realistic or not, the fact that he is under contract until 2023 suggests to me that we won't sell him so much under value and Celtic historically won't pay big fees to other Scottish clubs. However the unknown factor is how much under this supposed valuation we would deal at.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former Celtic forward Kris Commons on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound

"He would be a good addition because Celtic have been crying out for a good centre-half.

He's not had a great deal of football - four international caps - so at the minute he's one for the future. In 12-18 months you'll probably see the best of him. He's on a long-term deal as well so he's in no rush.

Celtic aren't going to pay £8m, £9m, £10m for a centre-half that's 21 and was playing on loan at Ayr United just over a year ago. He got his experience in the lower leagues but this is a guy that's only played 30-plus games for Aberdeen. He's not played 300 games in competitive football."

And the above makes it crystal clear why McKenna will not end up at Celtic.

Delighted with that. Fine. Let's all move on. Nothing to see here.

The BBC are always the last media outlet to report any football rumours, as said above they just copy and paste articles like everyone on Twitter or football forums do.

Most forums have the info posted hours before the BBC.

You would assume that is because they are fact checking. But in this article that clearly isn't the case. They just shouldn't be publishing the article, it's as simple as that. They are obliged to be truthful and this article is clearly unresearched pish. Asking Chris Commons his opinion is an article (although it fucking shouldn't be) but the horseshite before it is, as you say, unverified copy and paste. Fitba doesn't matter, obviously, but this allowance of others to set the agenda is so destructive and so dangerous and has huge implications in everything we do. I wonder what Nigel Farage thinks about Celtic's bid? We should get him on question time 3 times a week to tell us.

The part that confirms that Celtic won't come close to matching our valuation.

Regardless of whether anyone thinks our valuation is realistic or not, the fact that he is under contract until 2023 suggests to me that we won't sell him so much under value and Celtic historically won't pay big fees to other Scottish clubs. However the unknown factor is how much under this supposed valuation we would deal at.

Aye, I see fit yer sayin. I just assumed Commons had plucked those figures from his fud, but we'll never know given the sparsity of anything in the article.

Celtic have ended their interest in signing Aberdeen defender Scott McKenna, says manager Brendan Rodgers.

Aberdeen rejected a bid in the region of £3.5m from Celtic for the Scotland defender, 21.

Meanwhile, centre-back Dedryck Boyata has not travelled to Lithuania for Thursday's Europa League play-off tie first leg with Suduva.

More to follow.

Thank fuck.

Record Sport understands Celtic are considering reopening their pursuit of McKenna despite Rodgers insisting the deal was dead. It is believed the champions are ready to test Aberdeen’s resolve with an increased offer for their prized asset.

What part of NOT FOR SALE does Celtic not understand.

What part of NOT FOR SALE does Celtic not understand.

their attitude of superiority means that they cannot accept that somebody would say no. Like one of their drunk abusive supporters once he gets home after a glasgow derby.

Cos he most certainly IS for sale if a club bids a figure that the board deem acceptable. If the Dhims (or any other club) went to £6 million I think the board would find it very hard to turn down......McInnes would probably be handed £1 million of that to sign a replacement with £5 million going straight into the new stadium pot.

Dhims could sweeten the deal by throwing in either Allan or Christie no doubt.

Cos he most certainly IS for sale if a club bids a figure that the board deem acceptable. If the Dhims (or any other club) went to £6 million I think the board would find it very hard to turn down......McInnes would probably be handed £1 million of that to sign a replacement with £5 million going straight into the new stadium pot.

Dhims could sweeten the deal by throwing in either Allan or Christie no doubt.

I don't doubt he is for sale, what i would question is whether we see that sale being made to a Scottish club. A stronger Aberdeen is better for Scottish football than an even stronger Celtic.

The rumour market claiming Celtic are coming in with a £5.5 Million bid.

That would be hard for AFC to turn down.

Time will tell.

It would be hard to turn down but it depends how much we need the money.

If we have bills to pay and creditors banging on the door then selling now is a temptation, if we don't then is there any rush to sell?

£5.5m now or a similar amount in January or next summer. The mere fact that the tims are offering (if they do) that type of fee will raise his profile. By turning that down the club lay a marker for any potential suitors telling them where we see the players value.

Its £5.8 million now.....

If true (they are desperate for a central defender so I won't laugh it off as bullshit quite just yet) then I expect the board will bite. Nothing will happen today of course, I'd guess Monday we will find out but it would then give us only 4 days to source a replacement. Not ideal at all.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

I don't doubt he is for sale, what i would question is whether we see that sale being made to a Scottish club. A stronger Aberdeen is better for Scottish football than an even stronger Celtic.

Agree.  When there will surely be teams in englandshire chasing him, why sell to a rival.  Schoolboy error.

And also cannot see what there is to gain by selling him now.  As someone posted, most of the money will go towards the new stadium.  That means we will be firefighting to put out a defence for the next six months just to have £5M sitting in the bank. Better to agree to a sale in early January and get someone in then to replace McKenna in the same month and use the winter break to bed him in.

Or just don't fucking sell him to that mob.  At all.  The noises from Pittodrie are that he isn't looking to move on just now and is happy working with DM.  The club have previously let it be known that they want ten mill and if celtic want him that's what we should be demanding.

You can say whatever you like.....

If Wiggy gets a sniff of £6 million He will personally gift wrap McKenna

Can't help but agree with that I'm afraid BUT I seriously don't believe Racist FC are going to genuinely offer us anything close to that. Would be astounded if they offered anything that would become a record transfer fee between two clubs in Scotland :dunno:

Its £5.8 million now.....

If true (they are desperate for a central defender so I won't laugh it off as bullshit quite just yet) then I expect the board will bite. Nothing will happen today of course, I'd guess Monday we will find out but it would then give us only 4 days to source a replacement. Not ideal at all.

4 days to find a replacement ?

So, you dont rate Andy Considine at centre half ?

I rate him as competent yes. But do you not think it would be madness to sell Mckenna and go with Devlin, Consi and Hoban as our only 3 genuine centre halves until January? You can bet your bottom dollar if we did that one of them would suffer an injury putting them out for at least a month the following week. And we all know Hoban (and Devlin too) are both just recovered from very long term injuries as it is. Ball could do a job for one or 2 games no doubt but he wouldnt be a long term solution

So if we do sell McKenna it is absolutely imperative we get a replacement insitu sharpish. Hopefully though he stays put.

I would imagine McInnes already has a shortlist of defenders he would go for if McKenna did leave. It would be bordering on negligence if he didn’t.

I’d question the length of that list though. It appears (obviously I’m not in the know) he is narrow minded in the market targeting specific nationalities etc and never appears to have much of a depth chart if he doesn’t get his first or second target.

I rate him as competent yes. But do you not think it would be madness to sell Mckenna and go with Devlin, Consi and Hoban as our only 3 genuine centre halves until January? You can bet your bottom dollar if we did that one of them would suffer an injury putting them out for at least a month the following week. And we all know Hoban (and Devlin too) are both just recovered from very long term injuries as it is. Ball could do a job for one or 2 games no doubt but he wouldnt be a long term solution

So if we do sell McKenna it is absolutely imperative we get a replacement insitu sharpish. Hopefully though he stays put.

Hear what you are saying, personally i would muddle on with any 2 of Hoban,Considine & Devlin, bearing in mind we have Reynolds on the sidelines aswell, albeit out for a while yet. 

Wouldnt be adverse to bringing in another c/h like, but just think we need an attacking midfielder/winger or striker more.

Dont think the plastic paddies would offer more than £5m anyway t.b.h !