Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooft difficult one. I said £6-8 million and it’s bang in the middle. A few decent clauses including a decent sell on; 20% and that’s difficult to turn down. On one hand another 4 months like the end of last season and we might have a few more clubs interested and it’s £10-12 million being offered, on the other... I’m not even contemplating.

Except that he can't even finish above us and hasn't yet won Hibs a trophy or looked likely to

Exactly. I’m not as old as some posters on here.....certainly older than most (I imagine), but Aberdeen fans should be careful what they wish for. I’m an optimist and I agree with Rocket that we (and our manager) should aspire to great things. But I’m also a realist, and I want this period of stability to continue and hopefully lead us to silverwear even if it is only in cup competitions. I’ve spent too many seasons making excuses for dons teams finishing at the lower end of the league.

Also, I think maybe we should have let McKenna go. He’s a fabulous prospect but, bizarrely, losing him this season wouldn’t have changed much in my opinion - I think we’re destined to be in a 4-way fight for 2nd regardless. The money would have been huge to a club like ours. Only time will tell I guess.

I expect us to win handsomely tomorrow  :AFC2:

If it was £6.5 million then I am astounded we turned it down. 18 months ago he was struggling to get a regular game for Ayr united.

Now he is a Scotland international and looks like being a fixture in future squads. But the games against Burnley in particular showed that he is nowhere near the finished article and still quite naive in certain situations. Hopefully he will kick on and improve further in which case £8-10 million might be possible but if he comes back from injury and is shite for a few games his value instantly drops.

Big gamble. I think we should have cashed in with the proviso of a decent sell on percentage.

It was a loan and 6.5M if, IF,IF they bought him after that.

It would be written into the deal that he was there player but effectively loaned back, with a watertight contract. It's happened in the past. There's no way AFC would accept anything else, and Villa not stupid enough to try it. Otherwise we'd just wait until January.

Anyway, it's some serious dealing by the dons if they've turned down £6.5M. A bizarre gamble to be honest. There's nothing that AFC could win this season - that having McKenna here would make significantly more likely - that would get us close to that type of figure. It's a fee that would fund the entire training complex at the shitebag arena (which is insane really). I don't imagine even McInnes would kick up a fuss at losing McKenna for that type of fee. Perhaps McKenna thinks Villa are shite? Is it midnight for the window? Expect more movement if so.

The beeb reporting that it was in excess of £3.5M offered by the Tims. Have to admit, not seen anything reliable in regard to the supposed £5M+ offers, all just gossip.

It would be written into the deal that he was there player but effectively loaned back, with a watertight contract. It's happened in the past. There's no way AFC would accept anything else, and Villa not stupid enough to try it. Otherwise we'd just wait until January.

Anyway, it's some serious dealing by the dons if they've turned down £6.5M. A bizarre gamble to be honest. There's nothing that AFC could win this season - that having McKenna here would make significantly more likely - that would get us close to that type of figure. It's a fee that would fund the entire training complex at the shitebag arena (which is insane really). I don't imagine even McInnes would kick up a fuss at losing McKenna for that type of fee. Perhaps McKenna thinks Villa are shite? Is it midnight for the window? Expect more movement if so.

The beeb reporting that it was in excess of £3.5M offered by the Tims. Have to admit, not seen anything reliable in regard to the supposed £5M+ offers, all just gossip.

English window shut at 5pm so cannot sign on loan down there now until January.

Well, that's that then ( Unless we sign a free transfer I think )

What's everybody's take on our business this summer? A lot of angry people on Social Media, and I mean a lot, more than I anticipated, angry that we haven't added a CAM or another Striker.

Did we try & fail with numerous targets or did we get who we wanted? Personally, i'd like to see Scott Wright get an opportunity in the CAM role if Forrester doesn't cut the mustard, too early to judge James Wilson obviously, but not sure I am overly happy with May & Cosgrove, in saying that, young Bruce Anderson is looking sharp & scoring goals for fun in the Reserves/Under 20's, Connor McLennan also, that boy isn't far away from first team football.

I can't really decide myself if I am happy or not, I'd have taken Christie back on a permanent deal and would have been happy if there was truth in the Gauld rumour, other than that though, little underwhelmed with what is considered our main 3 Strikers. Wilson needs to deliver or I fear we're in trouble.

I'm not getting the gauld fascination. He was a talent a few years back, no doubting that, but genuinely, what's he done since the move? In all honesty, I'd preferred to have gone for someone else other than Christie but I can see why we were interested.

I get what you mean about being unsure about how you feel regarding this transfer window. There've been positives, getting Ferguson, Wilson could be interesting, likewise hoban and Lowe. Jury's out on the others (I've excluded devlin given he was signed in Jan).

But it's frustrating that it would appear to have failed or been unimaginative in the middle of the park. Did we scout gleeson and forrester at all?

Overall, I think c+, may improve once we see a bit more of hoban, Lowe and Wilson . Lowe on paper ticks the boxes. Certainly seem to be plenty of Derby fans that rate him.

Hopefully Wright stays injury free and given the chance to play no. 10. It would be a good slice of fortune for mciness imo.

Defensively I think we are stronger than last season but as I have said elsewhere it’s the lack of goals and creativity in the team that is the concern. Players that left scored 35 goals between them last season for us. The players we brought in scored 1 goal between them for their respective teams last year.

I do think that we have missed on our main targets in the striking position as I cannot believe a striker who has managed 1 goal last season (and 10 in his career) was even close to being on our radar never mind first choice when we decided to let Rooney go.

I am not convinced we have adequately replaced McLean in midfield and from Forresters lack of game time so far I don’t think McInnes does either. Maybe Wright will fill that role when fit. Have we been told how long he will be out for?

If we are to challenge at top end of the table we are going to need Ferguson Flipper and McGinn to be at the top of their games every week and not to get injured. Big ask for a 19 year old who has only been playing first team football since January and consistent is never something you have been able to accuse McGinn and GMS of being previously.

Thing is Celtic look weaker than they did last season and not convinced Tribute Act are all they are hyped up be so I do think there is a chance for a team with the right level of investment to have a proper run at the league. Just not convinced that we are that team.

Here’s my take -

Devlin replaces Arnason and defender O’Connor - stronger

Gleason replaces midfielder O’Connor - stronger

Forrester replaces McLean - significantly weaker so far

Ferguson replaces Christie - weaker (but potential)

Wilson replaces Rooney - time will tell

Cosgrove replaces Stockley - same

Anderson replaces Maynard - probably stronger

Campbell replaces Chidi - probably stronger

Ross replaces Stewart - same, very different player but potential

Lowe replaces Harvie - I’d assume stronger

If Wilson is anything decent he’s an upgrade on Rooney but goals are needed, plus replacing McLean and Christie is a huge ask and so far we appear significantly weaker in the creative engine of the team. I fear McGinn is passed it and a lot is needed from youth, and that means contributions from Wright Ross Ferguson Campbell and Anderson. I think DM recognizes the shit squad fillers were a waste and McKenna’s rise has convinced him to give youth a chance. That’s a plus in my eyes.

In areas we’re stronger, I think Lowe may be an upgrade on Considine but Andy still scored a goal or two. Devlin is a huge plus. However, is any other area stronger? The goals and assists from Rooney Hayes McGinn McLean and Christie over the last two to three years haven’t really been replaced with any sort of quality with consistency as far as I see, and that’s a huge blow. Those 5 contributed greatly and none of their replacements have outshone them to date.

Lewis

Logan-Devlin-mckenna-Lowe

Gleason-Shinnie

GMS-Wright/Ferguson/Forrester-McGinn

Wilson

Looks good on paper but time will tell. I think this year we battle with the Edinburgh two for 3rd, and I predict we finish 4th.

McInnes saying on BBC Scotland there that he held a conversation with Steve Bruce 8-9 days ago and said to him not to wait until last minute to make an offer for McKenna. Villa's own fault completely then, but get the impression had Hoban & Reynolds been fit, it would have been accepted.

On Wilson & Hoban by the way....

The Dons manager tells BBC Scotland Tommie Hoban may require surgery.

"James Wilson was down to start today but unfortunately he's got a little bit of tightness in his hamstring," he said.

"Tommie Hoban hurt himself in the goal last week at Hibs. He carried on manfully, but he needs surgery. We're sending him to Watford next week for a second opinion, but we'll be without him for a period of time."