Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Calderwood poll - what now?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Caroline B

Indifference to the manager who's given us best season we've had in, well, a very very very long time? :hammer:

Sometimes he doesn't inspire too much confidence and next time he does something completely out there and does well.

Best season for a while I'll admit as far as giving us something to cheer or jeer about, but just wish he'd managed to do something more inspiring with the players we've got.

He needs to step up to the plate with something that is going to bring in more fans next season. He needs to bring quality in to replace the guys probably going such as Miller and Nicholson as well as get Maybury signed up before Harry Potter at United sneaks in for him. He needs to forget the holiday Villa for a couple of weeks less this year too to actually try to persuade these quality repalcements to come on board face to face.

He needs to step up to the plate with something that is going to bring in more fans next season.

European qualification two years running should be enough to persuade good players to sign for Aberdeen, and ought to be the catalyst to let the board loosen the purse strings just a little.

I've gone from this...

I was telling the boys in Munchen I seriously believe we will beat Celtic in the QF.  And I still do, though it will take the performance of the season to do so - but let's face it, it's about time.

Though I realise it probably wont happen (because it would mean the board admitting to making a huge error in giving them such long contracts), I still believe as I said last week that a bottom 6 finish is unacceptable if we cannot get beyond Celtic in the cup.  In my eyes it is the only thing that can save JC.  Yep, I hear all this "we can't afford to sack him, blah, blah, blah", but at the same time, can we afford to finish 8th or 9th instead of 5th or 6th (a difference of roughly £300k plus possible TV revenue and additional gate receipts) and a cup semi (windfall from big Hampden crowd/chance of silverware and a European place)?

I don't think we've had 5 straight league defeats since Ebbe's days in charge.  I hope we can turn it around, but the panicking going on down Pittodrie way with team selection is an affront to Calderwood and to us for paying the money to watch such drivel.

And what is this crap I read about JC "not being held to account if things take a turn"?  I'm not saying that you didn't read it (was it you Reekie?), but surely we all know that contracts like that are not worth the paper they are written on.

...to now being very satisfied with our season (though that will be inclined to take a turn if we don't beat QoS on 12th April).  The ups and downs we've experienced this season have easily made this the most exciting season to follow the Dons probably since 1990-91 and the League run-in.

Stand Free!!! :ultras:

On a similar note, I posted this after the Celtic 5-1 game...

Remember this, anybody could be a Celtic fan.  It would be easy peasy.  Just turn up and watch your team steamroller the opposition every week.  Great.  But we're different, we dont do things the easy way.  Aberdeen is our team.  It's part of us, it's in us, it's never going to go away.  This is what makes us so fantastic.

We are Aberdeen fans, and we're the dog's bollocks.

In a perverse way today has made me more confident about the Bayern game and the Scottish cup tie.  Something will go right for us, and after an horrendous week (our worst for a long time) I just have a feeling there could still be something special round the corner. 

Dont give up, keep believing, stand free.

I'm never wrong.  ;)

Hopefully now we can secure a top six spot (no big deal really), and more importantly win our next 2 Scottish cup ties.  Happy days.