Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Calderwood poll - what now?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calderwood must be the maist infuriating manager around. I'd love to ken fit goes on in his heed at times.  Nae replacing Anderson has been the biggest mistake at the club this season, swiftly followed by our lack of signing players to longer contracts before January.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as Calderwood picks the team and that really upsets a lot of people, the absolute truth of the current situation is that the board continue to expect Calderwood to provide a team capable of performances to get us to 3rd/cup finals/Europe, whilst BEING IN FULL KNOWLEDGE that he has to do this with less money despite the most lucrative season anyone could possibly have imagined.

Calderwood shoots himself in the foot granted at times and never more so with signing both unpopular players and playing Maguire but the has been a lowering of the standard at a time when there HAS to be both an increase in the size and quality of the side.

It is a disgrace. Players who seem to want to stay are leaving and the players we can attract are not good enough due, in part to how much the board are willing to part with. We lose players, that's football. It is also football to replace them, that clearly has not happened.

Just wanted to pose the question?...

When has sacking managers brought us success in the last 20 years?

It always seems to have been a pretty pointless exercise to me.

Ebbe brought comparative success with 2 finals and tie against Hertha... so we sacked him.  Then the merry-go-round spun and it took us more than a few years to get to where we are... the thing I'm concerned about is that a replacement manager would do no better, in fact do worse, and we sack him after 1 year, then another comes in, and it takes us years to get settled again.

I can appreciate your point here, stability is a must and JC should definitely be credited for bringing us that. However, for how long do you continue to say that before we have to get someone else in? The worrying thing for me is that all these guys he wants rid of are all his signings. Now, as a supporter of JC, do you not see that as a MAJOR flaw? We all want us to get new talent in when the time comes for the transfer window to open, but do you honestly trust JC with any transfer kitty?

I'm now at the point where I want him gone in the summer for a whole host of reasons. I have always been a floating voter with regards JC, he irritated me with some of his decisions rather than angered me (which he's now doing), while also bringing us some great results too. But the dross on the pitch, and the route he takes and the number of times he changes direction to get us playing that dross, is too much now.

We all know that there are problems within the club (the board, SM) but none of that is going to change unfortunately and you are correct in that any new manager will face the same constraints, but does that mean we're faced with watching that shite forever, just because someone MAY not do a better job? A comparitive amount of money will be lost from doing nothing and us not having top six finishes, cup runs, decent players to sell than paying him off. It's a chance I'd be prepared to take.

Just wanted to pose the question?...

When has sacking managers brought us success in the last 20 years?

It always seems to have been a pretty pointless exercise to me.

Ebbe brought comparative success with 2 finals and tie against Hertha... so we sacked him.  Then the merry-go-round spun and it took us more than a few years to get to where we are... the thing I'm concerned about is that a replacement manager would do no better, in fact do worse, and we sack him after 1 year, then another comes in, and it takes us years to get settled again.

The costs of all this when we are in so much debt do not bear thinking about either.  I blame the board & willie miller for the contract situations we saw in January, and for funds not being made available to replace anderson.  Any new manager will suffer the same constraints.

And I don't think Calderwood alone can be held responsible for getting rid of scouting staff - surely that would also have been Miller's decision as director of football.

So - yes we seem stuck just now - but the season is not over... got a bad feeling we'll finish 4th by a few points.  We definately need some fresh talent brought in during the summer - not just any auld no-mark we can afford.  Could we nae take some Lithuanians on loan  ;)

I see what your saying and agree to an extent but the board do not pick the team on a Saturday or the tactics and formation.

Jimmy is happy to take the applause when things are going well but when it goes wrong he blames someone else.

And I thought I was an Aberdeen supporter.  ???

I'm just not jumping on the "sack the manager" bandwagon cos I'm fed up of seeing this time-and-time before.

And

I hope not but only time - and no doubt many many managers - will tell  :

You know what I meant.

I think the major point is that JC is responsible for the bad times as well as good. He has to realise that. He also has to realise that limited though our players may be, they will still perform to a reasonable level if they are given the chance to - ie. players played in their best positions and kept there.

Unfortunately I had to vote for "let him see out his contract"........I didn't want to vote for that, but in reality thats what is going to happen. We cannot afford to sack him in the slightest. If we want new players brought in, then we cannot afford to sack JC.........if he leaves, then we have cash to bring in a new manager AND new players, but Aberdeen are not in a position to sack the manager unfortunately!!! I wish they were, but money is the issue and I really hope Willie Miller realises that he has made a MASSIVE mistake in offering the twa Jimmys new contracts!

Without doubt JC has stabilized the club and we definitely needed that. I was a JC fan up until this year when, but for the Euro performances, we have been pretty dire the entire season - he peaked last year and is now going downhill and we're going backwards fast. I could understand if he was looking to bin the crap he acquired when he came here but 3 yrs on he is looking to bin most of his signings and start again - that doesn't make much sense for a manager and certainly doesn't inspire confidence in his ability to spot a player. I think now the longer we give him the more damage he could do. Bringing in a new manager now should be a major plus - recruit pre-contracts, inspire a player to stay rather than leave in the summer (i.e Barry Nic), and give the players, club, fans etc a boost. JC is not inspiring the players, the fans, and it costs the club money with lower attendances. I just feel it's time to cut our loses. I'm thankful the club gave him time and didn't sack him within a year like happens all too often but his time is up. He was given time to build a squad but he hasn't been able to do that - why give him money to start again when the past 3 yrs shows that's a big risk or do we give the new guy a chance? I think it's time for new and fresh face.

I think Miller is in charge of football operations at all levels. JC is in charge of signings - Miller gives him the budget. JC has demonstrated he cannot spot a signing and should be held accountable but so should Miller as he approves the signings. Don't know if Miller scouts players and gives opinions - you trust your management team and pay scouts to do that but if we've hired the wrong people who are incapable then you have to question Miller and Milne.

I think Miller is in charge of football operations at all levels. JC is in charge of signings - Miller gives him the budget. JC has demonstrated he cannot spot a signing and should be held accountable but so should Miller as he approves the signings. Don't know if Miller scouts players and gives opinions - you trust your management team and pay scouts to do that but if we've hired the wrong people who are incapable then you have to question Miller and Milne.

Miller goes to Milne and asks for the transfer budget and will try to get as much out of Milne as possible. Miller then tells JC what he can spend.

JC then tells Miller who he wants to sign and it's then down to Miller to sort out compensation/contracts. Miller has no say in who JC signs, he is effectively the middle man between Milne and JC. However, Miller will offer his opinion on certain players, for example, he told JC it would be a mistake to sign Derek Young. But, if the manager wants that player, then it's ultimately the manager who will decide.  Likewise, it is the manager who will prioritise the players for re-signing talks.

Does the Director of Fitba nae get the final say on any signings?

WTF is Willie Miller doing?  And I'd bet he's on a bigger wage than JC

That's exactly what I asked about three weeks ago. WTF does Miller do? Yes he is the club's ultimate legend. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's automatically any good at doing anything else but being a world-class defender 25 years ago. I seem to remember it wasn't that long ago that he had multiple businesses in Aberdeen go into receivership. And now he's in-charge over the money we pay our most valuable assets?

I think JC's time is up. But I think that is partially down to what has transpired down from WM and SM. What's WM proved in his time here?

That's exactly what I asked about three weeks ago. WTF does Miller do? Yes he is the club's ultimate legend. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's automatically any good at doing anything else but being a world-class defender 25 years ago. I seem to remember it wasn't that long ago that he had multiple businesses in Aberdeen go into receivership. And now he's in-charge over the money we pay our most valuable assets?

I think JC's time is up. But I think that is partially down to what has transpired down from WM and SM. What's WM proved in his time here?

How do you know that without Miller things may never have been so good under JC? Or vice versa?

The truth is, unless we spent a week shadowing WM, none of us are entirely sure just how much of an influence he has on things.

If that the case WHAT IS THE POINT IN GETTING IN A NEW MANAGER?  We may as well give Calderwood a ten year contract if nothing changes in the way the Club is run. A new manager will only be working with the same restrictions that Calderwood has worked under and we would be no better off.

If that the case WHAT IS THE POINT IN GETTING IN A NEW MANAGER?  We may as well give Calderwood a ten year contract if nothing changes in the way the Club is run. A new manager will only be working with the same restrictions that Calderwood has worked under and we would be no better off.

... and there's our conundrum.

I haven't really got a definite answer that I believe will fix the problems we have at the moment. Well, I do. It involves removing EVERYONE from Aberdeen football club ... board, management team, players, pie company ... and replacing them all. Unfortunately, that ain't gonna happen unless some rich billionnaire decides he likes AFC.

But WTF does Miller do? Seriously??? It was all bells and whistles when his return to Pittodrie was announced. But there's not been a single peep since then. Now, the only other executive I can think of who stayed so quiet was FORMER Director of Football Keith Birkenshaw. And nae cunt could tell me what he did either!

But I can tell you that, if the scouting is falling to pieces, we're selling our most valuable assets for less than half their value, we're losing top quality players for nowt when they are publically stating they WANT to stay with us (Nicholson and Lovell, ie), and still have no answer to the training ground question that he himself posed some six years ago, then he's clearly not doing something right.

Shoot me down if you like. But it's just my observations on just what (if anything) the almighty Willie Miller actually does at the club.

I'm reading Willie Miller's book at the moment and he states that there's just too much work to do as manager for one man to undertake.

He said he was working 14 hours/day, 6 days a week and that he'd have been more successful (along with citing another few managers who have said the same) with a Director of Football as a go between.

That way the manager gets to concentrate on the football side of things whilst the business side and a political go-between for the boardroom is covered by the DoF.

Strange to note that Miller seems to be getting a bit of flak now but Milne still seems to be untouchable.  We're at least getting the odd whisper from Miller but the last time I remember Stuartie being in the papers was when he ditched the syrup.

My thoughts are as I've said elsewhere that it would be unacceptable for us to finish bottom 6 given the progress/stability we've had under JC and that despite the board failing to back him in January with hard cash, he still has a squad good enough to make top 6.  But, looking at the league games we have up to the split, with the exception of Rangers this weekend, they are all easily winnable and so I'm not worried about not getting there.

I'm neither a "Jimmy lover" nor a "Jimmy hater".  You can't blame anybody but the players for not being able to make a simple square pass, for being caught in possession, for not picking up your man at a set piece - these are the things that have contributed most to us leaking goals this season.  You can blame Calderwood for making bemusing tactical decisions, for his undying love for Miller, Mackie & Maguire and for signing plonkers like Mair, Duff & Bus, but regardless of this, the players are the ones who haven't done it this season.  That much is obvious when you look at how they can turn it on against Copenhagen, Lokomotiv, Dnipro & Bayern, yet surrender meekly to Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd & Gretna.

... and there's our conundrum.

I haven't really got a definite answer that I believe will fix the problems we have at the moment. Well, I do. It involves removing EVERYONE from Aberdeen football club ... board, management team, players, pie company ... and replacing them all. Unfortunately, that ain't gonna happen unless some rich billionnaire decides he likes AFC.

But WTF does Miller do? Seriously??? It was all bells and whistles when his return to Pittodrie was announced. But there's not been a single peep since then. Now, the only other executive I can think of who stayed so quiet was FORMER Director of Football Keith Birkenshaw. And nae cunt could tell me what he did either!

But I can tell you that, if the scouting is falling to pieces, we're selling our most valuable assets for less than half their value, we're losing top quality players for nowt when they are publically stating they WANT to stay with us (Nicholson and Lovell, ie), and still have no answer to the training ground question that he himself posed some six years ago, then he's clearly not doing something right.

Shoot me down if you like. But it's just my observations on just what (if anything) the almighty Willie Miller actually does at the club.

Reekie - I've already said in this thread what he does.

Why did you not question him and his position when the team were winning?