Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Calderwood poll - what now?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'll no doubt get slated, but Willie has overhauled the youth system and lets hope it works this time.  But it'll surely take a few years before we see it bare some fruit.

Also, I'm not aware the scouting system has gone tits up, I thought we had scouts working all over the place, including the likes of Peter Weir.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll no doubt get slated, but Willie has overhauled the youth system and lets hope it works this time.  But it'll surely take a few years before we see it bare some fruit.

Also, I'm not aware the scouting system has gone tits up, I thought we had scouts working all over the place, including the likes of Peter Weir.

Weir is part of the scouting system for the youth set up, not for players ready to go into the first team.

I didn't see him mention he wanted to flood the team with loan players? Walker and Aluko will more than likely be gone, hopefully Maybury deal will become permanent. Where's the harm in having a couple of youngsters coming up here providing some much needed competition in our team? Give players like Maguire the incentive they need to try a bit harder to break in.

I didn't see him mention he wanted to flood the team with loan players? Walker and Aluko will more than likely be gone, hopefully Maybury deal will become permanent. Where's the harm in having a couple of youngsters coming up here providing some much needed competition in our team? Give players like Maguire the incentive they need to try a bit harder to break in.

Spot on.

Until we have our players as good enough as Walker and Aluko, then I don't have a problem with loan deals.

On the subject on loan signings - I see that Sunderland have released Liam Miller.  Now would we be able to loan him in the manner mentioned as "emergency" to another league/division?  Wages may be an issue, but first team football for a few months, put himself in the shop window, gives our midfield some more creativity...

Spot on.

Until we have our players as good enough as Walker and Aluko, then I don't have a problem with loan deals.

Does that not replicate the problems that we had in the past pre-bosman where teams were fielding predominantly foreigners and not letting the the youth systems develop and any talent in the Youth prove themselves?

Does that not replicate the problems that we had in the past pre-bosman where teams were fielding predominantly foreigners and not letting the the youth systems develop and any talent in the Youth prove themselves?

Yes, but you have to have the talent in the first place. You could also argue that the loan signings freshen up the squad, and possibly even teach the youthies a thing or two.

The key word here is development. A player doesnt just get shifted from U16's to reserves and then into the first team in a week.  It takes time to progress, adjust and then to try and get noticed in order to be touted as the next great player.  If some of these youth  players cant even make the bench to get that time on the pitch because our quad has been bought or loaned in then development doesnt happen. 

But these youth loan players aren't going to be denying anyone a slot on the bench or a chance to shine during the last 20 minutes of a game.  If we had anyone like that then they'd already be there.

I see it as a temporary fix until we have some decent youth which I believe is being looked at.  But as you said, it takes time for them to develop.

But these youth loan players aren't going to be denying anyone a slot on the bench or a chance to shine during the last 20 minutes of a game.  If we had anyone like that then they'd already be there.

I see it as a temporary fix until we have some decent youth which I believe is being looked at.  But as you said, it takes time for them to develop.

Loan signings should be considered temporary fixes and rarely anything else unless it's a view to a permanent signing.

Any kind of fucking fix would do me right now.  ;)

Why did you not question him and his position when the team were winning?

I did!

I'm still not quite sure what Willie Miller does at the club, as the youth system is going backwards, the scouting network is almost non-existent and we're still no further forward in getting decent training facilities for the squad ... other than still playing that old song of hitching a ride from that fictional magic carpet known as the "Community Stadium". For being Director Of Football for the past three years, he's not really steered the footballing side of the business in any positive way. Perhaps he is really only good at being a defender, because his time as AFC Manager and AFC Director of Football haven't really been that successful.

Admittedly this was asked when we started losing. But it was also asked before the MAJOR fallout match against Killie and Hibs.

Well a not so wild stab in the dark would be that JC wanted to keep Clark, Hart, Nicolson, Zander and Miller but they weren't offered improved offers.

Willie backed Milne and was heard to say on that interview "well Sir Alex rebuilds his team every 3 or 4 years if he needs to or not".

The DoF might be the go-between but it doesn't mean he'll necessarily sit on the fence with every passing issue.

if I dinnae get ma money back for leaving at half time there's nae way they will

Tell yi what tho, in all my days as Dons supporter, even in the deepest darkest relegation threatened days I never left early. However since calderwood has arrived, I have left early a few times , such was my disgust and exasperation. The last was the cup game against scumdee unt.

Tell yi what tho, in all my days as Dons supporter, even in the deepest darkest relegation threatened days I never left early. However since calderwood has arrived, I have left early a few times , such was my disgust and exasperation. The last was the cup game against scumdee unt.

good point sharpie

I think I had left one game early before JC.  Now I have left several early, including the killie game and the united cup game.

Maybe I've realised that there ain't no merit in suffering to the bitter end or maybe JC is even more depressing than I thought