Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons - Siroki Brijeg (Thursday) 19:45

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liked the look of Stewart when he came on. Looked comfortable on the ball and wants to take responsibility. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Two good goals.  We'll score over there, some of McInnes' best work has been done on tricky European away fixtures, could see us getting the required result next week.

I actually thought Siroki looked very composed and at times, dominated and passed better than we did. Had they had better forward options, could well have scored 1 or 2 more.

Ryan Christie kept trying to drive us forward, but a poor final ball or being outnumbered let him down, plus he very quickly ran out of steam halfway through the 2nd half.

Will be a difficult task over there, we really need to keep the ball better. Tansey tried keeping it simple, but overall, too many aimless passes and punts from those around him.

I see that Siroki are 1 place above Fola Esch in the Uefa Rankings, we overcame them eventually and can definitely over come Siroki.

I thought they looked good but that could be down to the fact that they are further into preseason than us. Having played the first qualifying round they've already had two competitive games. We definitely looked disjointed at times plus gave them too much time and space on the ball.

Thought Christie looked good although I see him more in the #10 role than a winger. Tansey looks to be playing Jack's role and I thought he played quite well, pretty simple and confident with the ball but with a bit more forward drive than Jack. GMS looked lively, as did Stewart, but I expect us to play better over time with improved fitness and chemistry. We've not had that issue over the last 3 years with the same players each year so advancing from this stage will be tough.

We did look vulnerable from wide areas and that's where most of their attacking play/chances and goal came from. We got exposed in the space ahead of our fullbacks where the wide mids need to track back and both Hayes and McGinn learned to do that over time, Christie, GMS need to do the same if we're playing with the same tactics.

Hate to say it but I didn't see much from Rooney. Maynard didn't look any different to Rooney in terms of movement and what he has to offer.

Just back. Not a great game in front of a big crowd, but fitness was obviously an issue in the second half. We looked good and fast paced at times in the first half, especially Christie who mas MOM by a mile. Lovely goal, great spot by Lewis and a tremendous finish. Caught out a couple of times at the back, but nothing that worrying.

Biggest worry for me was Rooney starting the season as he finished the last. Looked short of ideas, slow to get in front of his man and loose in possession. I thought a good striker was our biggest priority in January and, even with players going out, I still think it was where the money should go. Rooney has been fantastic, but we can't afford a Rooney that's not firing. I'm not convinced Maynard is the answer (although he got on the end of a couple of crosses) so hopefully we get Moult.

GMS looked decent, if a little jaded by the second half. Some nice skills and a good touch. Similarly Stewart when he came on. Tansey definitely has an eye for a pass and will get some assists this season. He moves the ball far quicker than Jack, but I can see him making a few mistakes too because of this. He did well enough though.

Don't think we've quite got the shape right tonight. I'd probably have a forward three of Stewart, Christie and GMS, with Maynard in front next week. Either Tansey or McLean alongside Shinnie. McLean did well making the wide runs from the central role, recognising Christie was coming in every time, but I think we just shift Christie infield from the start instead.

Good to see the footballing abomination getting the last five minutes. A beautiful cross out of play and an offside being his major contribution. That's a guy keeping Wright from developing as a player. It's not acceptable.

We've got the ability to beat them over there, we're a better team. We just need to get fitter and sharper up front between now and then.

At the moment going out.

That can all change providing players get sharp over next week.

We have loads better players but they had better shape, fitness and tactics 2nd half.

Two strikers upfront please! Rooney alone does not work especially so Hayes, niall gone.

Christie is best player by a mile.

Stop kicking every ball from Joe lewis to Considine to head on.

No intensity, no atmosphere at all. Siroki had 12 fans who sang whole game.

Going out unless turn up next week and score.

Just back. Not a great game in front of a big crowd, but fitness was obviously an issue in the second half. We looked good and fast paced at times in the first half, especially Christie who mas MOM by a mile. Lovely goal, great spot by Lewis and a tremendous finish. Caught out a couple of times at the back, but nothing that worrying.

Biggest worry for me was Rooney starting the season as he finished the last. Looked short of ideas, slow to get in front of his man and loose in possession. I thought a good striker was our biggest priority in January and, even with players going out, I still think it was where the money should go. Rooney has been fantastic, but we can't afford a Rooney that's not firing. I'm not convinced Maynard is the answer (although he got on the end of a couple of crosses) so hopefully we get Moult.

GMS looked decent, if a little jaded by the second half. Some nice skills and a good touch. Similarly Stewart when he came on. Tansey definitely has an eye for a pass and will get some assists this season. He moves the ball far quicker than Jack, but I can see him making a few mistakes too because of this. He did well enough though.

Don't think we've quite got the shape right tonight. I'd probably have a forward three of Stewart, Christie and GMS, with Maynard in front next week. Either Tansey or McLean alongside Shinnie. McLean did well making the wide runs from the central role, recognising Christie was coming in every time, but I think we just shift Christie infield from the start instead.

Good to see the footballing abomination getting the last five minutes. A beautiful cross out of play and an offside being his major contribution. That's a guy keeping Wright from developing as a player. It's not acceptable.

We've got the ability to beat them over there, we're a better team. We just need to get fitter and sharper up front between now and then.

I'd agree with almost all of this. Hopefully we get Moult - first impression is that Maynard is another Rooney, so why??

Didn't think McLean was particularly good, weakest of our midfielders today, plus Tansey can pass a ball which is pretty much the majority of compliments KM gets so not overly sure what he gives us to merit a start. My central 3 next week would be Tansey and Shinnie with Christie ahead of them, and width coming from GMS and Wright/Stewart. Don't see Maynard starting for fitness reasons.

Moult would not be eligible. Rooney and Maynard are totally different both great but not alone FFS and isolated!!

1st half was fine. 2nd half bossed off the field totally. Tactically out thought, they were fitter and much sharper - 55th to 80th minute of the game the crucial period.

No point Rooney alone upfront. Its not a friendly v Brechin City. Its top level competitive football and your main forward was a passenger.

Also, this is Euro football. They dive a lot - deal with it.

This team are nothing special. Same level as Fola Each, Shkendija maybe less.

On positive note 1-0 at home is often a killer. But its 1-1. They might defend and think the job is done.

Not got a good feeling - I fear the worst as there is no shape to the team yet and McInnes knows it.

One last thing - McLean, Kenny.....his mind is elsewhere!  blue boots!!!!

Moult would not be eligible. Rooney and Maynard are totally different both great but not alone FFS and isolated!!

1st half was fine. 2nd half bossed off the field totally. Tactically out thought, they were fitter and much sharper - 55th to 80th minute of the game the crucial period.

No point Rooney alone upfront. Its not a friendly v Brechin City. Its top level competitive football and your main forward was a passenger.

Also, this is Euro football. They dive a lot - deal with it.

This team are nothing special. Same level as Fola Each, Shkendija maybe less.

On positive note 1-0 at home is often a killer. But its 1-1. They might defend and think the job is done.

Not got a good feeling - I fear the worst as there is no shape to the team yet and McInnes knows it.

One last thing - McLean, Kenny.....his mind is elsewhere!  blue boots!!!!

Can you explain what makes you say Rooney and Maynard are totally different? And how do you know Maynard is great, but not alone?

Maynard is not a poacher. Adam Rooney is.

Rooney game is tap ins, pens but the Maynard game gives more than that.

Rooney alone upfront is no use.

Moult can be signed but would not be eligible for europe and at the moment we are going out.

Of course Rooney and Maynard are capable. But no point playing Rooney alone especially when the two best players from the team are now gone!

I cannot see the AFC board sanctioning £500k for moult. No chance.

They need to go for it next week - or we are out.