Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Brewdog...

Stupie82

... are starting to get on my tits a bit. They are marketed ingeniously, but the guys that run it are out of their depth.

So the most recent moan from the "illustrious" company is about the value of land they are trying to buy. They want to build a hotel, plus an extension to the brewery and got a valuation done on the land. So DM Hall came back and said £5000 an acre, but the shire council have come back and said the price is nearer  £300K. Sounds like a the council are having a laugh, however, it was reported last night that the £5000 quoted was actually the price if it was to be used agriculturally, whereas the £300K per acre price is actually nearer the mark for commercial property. Brewdog went public slating the council saying they are anti business, but instead have really made themselves look extremely stupid.

My point is that the council get criticised a lot and rightly so at times, but it must be hard task having to deal with companies like that. Brewdog constantly want special treatment and i am for once glad the council haven't backed down on it. 

Extremely successful NE company in being resented by some of the NE public shock.

Brewdog are everywhere in London these days. They've got production plants opening globally.

They just come across petulant to me. They preach that it will directly affect employment in the area, which it will, but they are asking for something on the cheap that no on else gets. Why should they get special treatment?because they are creating jobs? Land value is only marginally negotiable. Chirst, it costs £80K for a 1/3 of an acre of land to build a house on.

Plus this coming form the same company who continually put up new silos and add-ons at their HQ in Ellon without getting the relevant planning permissions. No sympathy at all. By all means they are successful, very successful in fact, but they should not get any special treatment. 

Just as a side note, Tesco paid over a million for their site in Ellon, less than 1/4 mile away from Brewdog.

They just come across petulant to me. They preach that it will directly affect employment in the area, which it will, but they are asking for something on the cheap that no on else gets. Why should they get special treatment?because they are creating jobs? Land value is only marginally negotiable. Chirst, it costs £80K for a 1/3 of an acre of land to build a house on.

Plus this coming form the same company who continually put up new silos and add-ons at their HQ in Ellon without getting the relevant planning permissions. No sympathy at all. By all means they are successful, very successful in fact, but they should not get any special treatment. 

Just as a side note, Tesco paid over a million for their site in Ellon, less than 1/4 mile away from Brewdog.

Land is as negotiable as anything else is. It - property and acreage - is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it and what someone is prepared to sell it for.

I don't know the guys personally but I'm aware that a lot of people consider them arseholes. I would only make up my own mind in the highly unlikely situation that I would ever meet or do business with them but I'm also aware how success attracts resentment, which will no doubt be fuelling it for some, particularly in Scotland (as opposed to the US for example).

What special treatment have they got and why shouldn't they be able to negotiate a special allowance? Every foreign company seeking to invest in the UK is given incentives and special deals. Why can't a locally-founded company get the same? How many jobseekers would there be if Brewdog weren't a major employer and how many associated companies are getting a living off the back of them? These are questions I'm sure the council aren't asking themselves. Christ they managed to turn down a £50m donation from Sir Ian Wood because of jealousy and resentment so I'm pretty sure the culture in city and shire will be consistently small-minded. Good on them for criticising the public sector publicly. Our counsillors are fucking inept and like the vast majority of civil servants, self-serving. Bung city. Mon the businesses.

Land is as negotiable as anything else is. It - property and acreage - is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it and what someone is prepared to sell it for.

I don't know the guys personally but I'm aware that a lot of people consider them arseholes. I would only make up my own mind in the highly unlikely situation that I would ever meet them but I'm also aware how success attracts resentment, which will no doubt be fuelling it for some, particularly in Scotland (as opposed to the US for example).

What special treatment have they got and why shouldn't they be able to negotiate a special allowance? Every foreign company seeking to invest in the UK is given incentives and special deals. Why can't a locally-founded company get the same? How many jobseekers would there be if Brewdog weren't a major employer and how many associated companies are getting a living off the back of them? These are questions I'm sure the council aren't asking themselves. Christ they managed to turn down a £50m donation from Sir Ian Wood because of jealousy and resentment so I'm pretty sure the culture in city and shire will be consistently small-minded. Good on them for criticising the public sector publicly. Our counsillors are fucking inept and like the vast majority of civil servants, self-serving. Bung city. Mon the businesses.

Slight flaw in that we are speaking about two different councils... shire and city. However, your point on room for negotiation is a good one, but £5K for land valued at £300K ... i dont think so. 

Money made from these sales goes back into the public sector and is used for schooling and hospitals etc, that is a fact. If the council took this approach they would lose millions a year. They already heavily subsidise things town halls and village halls so that the public get good use of them, while struggling to pay maintenance costs for the upkeep, security and cleaning. My point is that the councils have to cut their spending year on year and to give away land cheaply isnt feasible. The land in question is earmarked for a cemetery, so it has a purpose. The area is currently  zoned for commercial use and therefore rates are higher and It has already attracted many businesses in the area, so its not overpriced. Brewdog just want it cheap and because they arent getting it that way, they are spitting the dummy out. Personally i think its pathetic they went public when negotiations were still ongoing and its lucky for them the council arent as pentulant and threatening to rip down their silos they put up without permission.

I personally like Brewdog. I like the majority of their beers, I think they've done a lot for the overall "craft beer" market and they throw an exceptionally good bash at the yearly AGM.

However, I do think that they've overstepped the line a bit with this one. Probably could have been handled better. Dealing with any council is generally a painful legislative nightmare, but pissing them off isn't going to help matters.

Not quite sure where you're getting your info about them "continually putting up Silos and add-ons without the relevant planning permission"

I personally like Brewdog. I like the majority of their beers, I think they've done a lot for the overall "craft beer" market and they throw an exceptionally good bash at the yearly AGM.

However, I do think that they've overstepped the line a bit with this one. Probably could have been handled better. Dealing with any council is generally a painful legislative nightmare, but pissing them off isn't going to help matters.

Not quite sure where you're getting your info about them "continually putting up Silos and add-ons without the relevant planning permission"

Its local knowledge, plus i have heard from various sources that they don't get permission or even seek it. I get the impression they are a nightmare to deal with. I love their beers personally, but they are way off on this.

Its local knowledge, plus i have heard from various sources that they don't get permission or even seek it. I get the impression they are a nightmare to deal with. I love their beers personally, but they are way off on this.

hmmmm....https://upa.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

Looks like a list of planning applications there. What are the restrictions around what can and can't be erected without requiring planning application?

hmmmm....https://upa.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

Looks like a list of planning applications there. What are the restrictions around what can and can't be erected without requiring planning application?

There might be applications, but are not necessarily granted. There are restrictions on most things. If you want to put a conservatory on your house you need to get planning permission. That can be down to height, width, distance from a neighbour, distance from a river... anything really. Same goes for businesses too.

Anyways, my main gripe is this land value thing, the planning permission doesnt put me up or down, but does show they could possibly be a potential nightmare to deal with.

but I'm also aware how success attracts resentment, which will no doubt be fuelling it for some, particularly in Scotland (as opposed to the US for example).

Nah min, fair play to them on their success, but as largely a beer drinker, and someone who drinks most beers, I've found theirs pish. Cairngorm Brewery (for eg) knocks them out the park.

Nah min, fair play to them on their success, but as largely a beer drinker, and someone who drinks most beers, I've found theirs pish. Cairngorm Brewery (for eg) knocks them out the park.

Very much this. As does the Black Isle Brewery.

There's nothing punk about Brewdog and they looked pathetic yesterday taking to social media to moan about Aberdeenshire Council when in reality they are not offering to pay market value for commercial land.

As for the comment about successful NE company being resented. Can somebody explain why it's circa £4.50 for something brewed up the road?

Coincidence;

Seen this in a gallery window today...

IMG_0611.jpg

An amazing photographic-quality oil painting of the Gallowgate.

Not sure if the price tag will come out in the zoom in but 3.5 grand? It's good but nae three and a half grand good. There was a painting of Pittodrie taken from the top of the Broad Hill below it. Only if I was planning to emigrate again would I even think about getting one of her paintings. Brilliantly talented local artist.

As for the comment about successful NE company being resented. Can somebody explain why it's circa £4.50 for something brewed up the road?

That comment was mine. I think you may be confusing matters.

Success breeds resentment in the UK. Fleet Street (as was, I mean the red tops) are built on this. It's sometimes known as the tall poppy syndrome, a sickness of many. David Beckham famously suffered it (for years) after he got sent off v. Argentina.

What they charge for their products is business. They're premium pricing it because they can. Why should they not? It doesn't get my money because like many on here, I also think their beer is pish but I don't blame them for operating successfully in their market. On the contrary, I admire them for it.

Yes I know. That's why I said city and shire in my post. My main point is that all coonsillors in our area, both city and shire are self-serving arseholes.

That is not exclusive to the North East, indeed some might say it was a prerequisite of being one ;)

Regarding Brewdog I am not a fan of their products but their is no denying that they are doing something right. Distribution in growth and folk falling over themselves to invest.

Coincidence;

Seen this in a gallery window today...

IMG_0611.jpg

An amazing photographic-quality oil painting of the Gallowgate.

Not sure if the price tag will come out in the zoom in but 3.5 grand? It's good but nae three and a half grand good. There was a painting of Pittodrie taken from the top of the Broad Hill below it. Only if I was planning to emigrate again would I even think about getting one of her paintings. Brilliantly talented local artist.

Bravo to the artist, but, if you're going to paint a picture like that before they started building the cooncils latest monstrosity (how did that land deal go again) then you'd maybe have artistically removed the blue fencing infront of Provost Skenes House