Tonights tipple

manc_don

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a shite week for those of us that work outside,so relaxing tonight with a Lindemanns cabernet sauvignon.

Had meant to be a few of us up Lochnagar the morn but some cancelled at the last minute,so half days work the morn instead  :frown:

Almost went for a bottle of "The shy pig"but didnt want to be seen buying a £3.99 wine  :laughing:

Nice wine btw(Lindemanns)

Only just seen this post.

You dodged a bullet and saved yourself £3.99 to boot.

It's not real wine BUT a wine based drink.

As I read on a review elsewhere, Vimto packs more of a punch than this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now then you young fucks, a word of caution.

See them pints of lager you're so fond of? Bad poison.

I had six pints yesterday between 4.15 and 7 pm. I was in bed by 9. Slept great for 8.5 hours but to get knocked out like that, fully three hours before my normal retiring time is an indictment of the product.

Scottish pub pints are innocuous at the time but do them every week in quantities that exceeds gallons and it's going to kill you. Having been in Sicily last week where a pint maximum was the amount of beer per day consumed - before some wine and maybe a cocktail first - I was looking forward to a sesh with my mates. And it was a reet good laff, inhibitions getting thrown oot the windie, political correctness getting increasingly abandoned with each pint and the royal wedding and the two huns in our local getting a major slagging.

I can't offer an alternative here. Pints are the staple of our Scottish pubs. But they're not good for you. Feel fine this morning but getting knocked out so quick like that suggests the drink is stronger than it appears. Or maybe I'm just becoming a woose. Be warned ye cunts.

It was more likely the chemicals which floored you min.

I don't drink beer in this country anymore.

I find it difficult to believe because I was a 10 pint a day man for years and years.

I bought 4 cans of Stella a couple of months ago and managed half a can.

Fuckin pishwater (definitely not brewed in Belgium)

I'm not saying I wouldn't have a few pints in a pub if the situation arose but I'd have to get the first couple down my neck quickly to disguise just now naff it is.

Perhaps that's what I was doing for years.

How was Sicily min?

Sicily was magic. Catania > Cefalu (bypassed Palermo) > Sciacca > middle of naewye 10 minutes from Marina de Raguso (the town was awesome) > middle of naewye just south of Catania, with orange groves and 5 mins from the beach. Accommodations were first class and the Sicilian breakfasts are the best on the planet. Dined at FUD the first night. Had to take photos and bought a bottle opener with said Restaurant name on it. Our first time there. Won't be the last. Will fly to Palermo next time to do the west coast before retracing our steps back thru Sciacca and Marina de Ragusa. The latter in the evenings, the main square full of kids playing fitba, grandparents with theirs, couples and a chilled family atmosphere, all surrounded by a tremendous choice of bars and restaurants. By then we just wanted something simple to eat, having dined so well all week including two starters for lunch (with wine) being scallops and crayfish cocktail at a beachside place. Went to Art Burger in the square. Chose Angus meat rather than horse or donkey and it was one of the best ever had. If you're going, there's a place you have to stay if anywhere near Marina de Raguso.

I've always fancied it but if there's a restaurant called FUD then it's a definite.

There's a brand of toilet paper in Budapest called FANNY

It's impossible not to buy it.

Have we any more FANNY

I'm just going out for some FANNY

Drives the wife mad of course but what can you do?

Now then you young fucks, a word of caution.

See them pints of lager you're so fond of? Bad poison.

I had six pints yesterday between 4.15 and 7 pm. I was in bed by 9. Slept great for 8.5 hours but to get knocked out like that, fully three hours before my normal retiring time is an indictment of the product.

Scottish pub pints are innocuous at the time but do them every week in quantities that exceeds gallons and it's going to kill you. Having been in Sicily last week where a pint maximum was the amount of beer per day consumed - before some wine and maybe a cocktail first - I was looking forward to a sesh with my mates. And it was a reet good laff, inhibitions getting thrown oot the windie, political correctness getting increasingly abandoned with each pint and the royal wedding and the two huns in our local getting a major slagging.

I can't offer an alternative here. Pints are the staple of our Scottish pubs. But they're not good for you. Feel fine this morning but getting knocked out so quick like that suggests the drink is stronger than it appears. Or maybe I'm just becoming a woose. Be warned ye cunts.

Very similar to me last night.Supping some Brewdog outside(not a regular tipple for me),and by 8 pm i was thinking, What the heck, am i wrecked or just tired.Bed by 9pm.

I could blame the working outside in excessive heat(15oC  :P) but maybe yours is a better explanation

• 7 months later...

More lager advice.

If like me your staple is Vitamin T, insist on the type of glass.

The default they serve you with is known as a laser cut glass. See that T at the bottom of it, that's not decoration. It's there to keep your pint bubbling so it looks fresh and never looks flat. But the pace I hoover pints at, it's not in the glass long enough to get flat. This is why pints of Tennents these days get served looking like the flake is missing. The problem with these glasses is that the laser cut T is full of holes and they get clogged up with yeast. Tennents have been distributing special dish washer tablets to all their pubs to counter this and a boss at Tennents says that these glasses were the worst move the company has ever made.

Ask for your pint in a normal glass. It tastes so much better without the artificial frothing. An old mannie taught me this last month and there's at least four of us now in my locals who insist on it.

Some champagne advice for Xmas.

Asda have had Bollinger for £34 for a while which is as cheap as you'll get anywhere. It's not worth it.

Last year I picked up two dozen bottles of Pierre D'Arcy for between £8 and £12 a bottle. I noticed it was down to £10 a bottle a couple of days ago from it's normal £17 so bought a couple to try again, as we do remember that it was more than acceptable. We did a taste test last night and I preferred the cheaper one so I was quite happy the wife and particularly the daughters hoovered into the Bollie last night. 5 bottles of that plus one of P D'A sitting empty in the kitchen today was testament to a good night but I'll be stocking up on the cheap stuff today. Didn't actually enjoy the Bollinger. Totally average if you ask me.

It'll be the Hungaria for me at £5 a bottle

I've never actually taste tested it against decent French stuff but it tastes pretty good to me.

Got a bottle of Deutz for me the morn. Hoping not to share any of it. Only place I've found that stocks it is the big corner shop offie next to Slaters but they don't have the vintage Deutz which is the best I've ever tasted.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Dry January again this year. We started doing this in 2000, long before it became a "thing". It's the same every year. By the middle of the month, I'm like "I'm never going to drink alcohol ever again" but come the 26th/27th onwards, I'll be choking for a pint.

I was tempted for one glass of red wine in our favourite Italian in Glasgow yesterday. That would've gone down well but as I was driving anyway, easy to stick to the month-long plan. 2019 was my first 31 days in January without but this month will only be 26 days as the 31st is a Friday and that's a habit day for a drink and as we had a birthday party for one of my best mates on the 3rd, I had to go to the pub on the 4th to top up the 20 units I had the night before, with 22 units! The Drink Tracker App is brilliant. It saves wealth and health and informs us of our own habits and tendencies. Been doing it every day since September 2018 and if I'd discovered it 10 years sooner, I'd have an extra £20 or £30k in my pocket.

Alcoholics are weak and ill-disciplined. I don't buy their many excuses.

Never understood teetotal. One of my mates says "never trust a man who doesn't drink. He doesn't trust himself". As him and I will be drinking too much alcohol in Lisbon together the first week of February, I'll need to remember to start a conversation on the subject in front of the rest, some of whom won't be drinking.

Moderation in most things is best. But not in competition environments. Must destroy but some folk get too competitive over the wrong things.

• 7 months later...