Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tonights tipple

manc_don

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen the Dons flag at the Biffy Clyro gig.A heart warming moment...and aye Chic are surprisingly good

Settling down with a couple of Ossian golden ales after an afternoon up the Deeside hills

Aye, noticed that  :thumbsup:

Barry Gibb and Nile Rogers were brilliant.  Really missed not being there this year, weather looked epic!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally discovered the Gin enthusiasm trip. The one of the left is Eden Mill Love derivative, a Sloe Gin in the middle and a violet on the right. The mediterranean tonic bottle was dispersed roughly 60% to the Eden Mill and 20% to the other two, which was probably barely doubling the liquid content. They two were superb neat.

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-14%20at%2019.26.33.png

It's the future folks :)

Hemmin

You might have heard this and probably know the history anyway, but there is a really interesting program about gin on radio 4 i-player

Just type " gin" into the search and it should come up with a progran called " The Gin Craze"

It's in the wonderful " in our time " series and well worth a listen.

I know nothing of gin other than it gets you blootered if you drink enough of it. Quite liked the odd G & T sesh over the years but wasnt my cup of bananas generally. So the recent gin craze was interesting to me but nothing I thought I'd ever be interested in. Until tonight. It's fucking nectar and with 67 different choices available where we were eating tonight, I'm looking forward to revisiting their inventory without dining.

Actually the first ever funcy gin I tasted was a Scottish one. Caroun (or however it's spelt) had just come out and as we were going through Embra airport, they were offering free tastes. As they were serving it with apple rather than lemon slices, it was different and being in holiday mode, we bought a bottle. Found it in Sainsbury's Brig o Dee after that but after one or two more bottles, we were all ginned out. First time I've got into it was tonight and it wuz lubly.

Hun

I must admit that I was a tad gabberflastered by this post and unsure of how to respond. I wondered if you'd been on the piss until... I listened to that excellent Melvyn Bragg piece on the gin craze starting in 1688. I never knew about that, far less that it was William of Orange who introduced it to England.

That's where the phrase Dutch courage came from. Very interesting stuff.

On reflection, I'm not going to be a regular gin drinker. I'll do what we did last night and have a "flight", which is the modern marketing parlance. Having 3 different ones and definitely including different tastes such as sloe berries makes it more palatable and variety being the spice of walnuts and all that. I couldn't drink half a dozen traditional juniper gins and always wondered if it was the tonic rather than the spirit that I tired of. Given the huge range now available, it's going to be fun to explore.

On a related note.

I think I've almost always been acquainted with Hogarth's print of "Gin Lane", it was in some school book or whatever.

However I never knew about the accompanying  "Beer Street" or it's government propaganda implications.

I may well use it in some sort of defense some day  ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a shite week for those of us that work outside,so relaxing tonight with a Lindemanns cabernet sauvignon.

Had meant to be a few of us up Lochnagar the morn but some cancelled at the last minute,so half days work the morn instead  :frown:

Almost went for a bottle of "The shy pig"but didnt want to be seen buying a £3.99 wine  :laughing:

Nice wine btw(Lindemanns)

I used to be sick on Scottish beers for years.

I used to think i was just drinking too much lager for my own use when in fact, my stomach was actually repelling it im sure.

Some great Aussie beers on offer.

I love a German one called Blonde Moment which I get in large jugs from a bavarian beer bar.awesome.

Theres also Big Head, Fat Yak, Fifty lashes and Big Head.

I still like a Corona and make a nice Cosmopolitan. ( i love vodka and cranberry together  :o) goes doon like juice

• 1 month later...