Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Transfer news - Clark, Hart, Nicholson, Dobie, Bus latest

ABERDEEN BACK IN FOR DOBIE AS HART SIGNS PRESTON PRE-CONTRACT

08:50 - 15 January 2008

Aberdeen have warned Preston North End that they will not allow Michael Hart to leave until the English club meets the Dons valuation of the defender.

Hart yesterday signed a pre-contract agreement with the Championship side. He will join the Deepdale team on a free transfer in the summer but Preston are keen to take him south early and strike a deal for a transfer window move. The Lancashire club has already had one bid for Hart rejected and talks have reached a stalemate. The Dons are keen to match the £175,000 offered by Plymouth before the player opted for a move to the north-west and denied the Pittodrie side a windfall.

Director of football Willie Miller said: "We haven't agreed anything to release Michael Hart during the transfer window. He has a pre-contract agreement with Preston but could still be with us until the summer."

The Dons last night revived their interest in Nottingham Forest forward Scott Dobie and would need a large fee for Hart to help fund that deal. Talks with the Scotland international have begun but Carlisle are also keen after being alerted to Dobie's availability.

Aberdeen made a move for Dobie in August but could not complete a deal. The prospect of pulling in a six-figure fee for Hart has led them to return for a player who is free to leave Forest if he can find a suitable club.

Preston chairman Derek Shaw has been handling negotiations but insists his club will not be held to ransom despite its struggle against relegation this season.

Shaw said: "We made Aberdeen an offer this month which was not accepted. Ideally, we would like to agree compensation in the January transfer window and Michael can start his Preston North End career sooner rather than later. If that doesn't happen, he will be our player in time for pre-season."

If Preston increase their offer for Hart and match Aberdeen's expectations, Dutch defender Dave Bus will move to the head of manager Jimmy Calderwood's wish list. The De Graafschap defender impressed during a Pittodrie trial last week but will not be recruited unless either Hart or Plymouth target Chris Clark departs this month. Calderwood is keen to secure Bus on a four-month loan deal.

Aberdeen and Plymouth have yet to reach agreement on Clark's transfer, with the Dons hoping to retain him until after next week's Scottish Cup replay against Falkirk. The club is still in talks with Barry Nicholson aimed at persuading him to extend his stay.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Aberdeen would be linked with a player who actually likes to play a bit. A midfielder who can pick a pass and who has a bit of guile. All through recent history we have had them - Strachan, Bell, Bett, Jess to name a few.

I wish Aberdeen wouldn't be linked with a player like Scott Dobie!

I can only presume that Dobie is pretty good at holding the ball up to allow the midfield to move up the field.

Other than that, I know fuck all about him, other than he's hardly a prolific goalscorer.

Is that not part of Lee Miller's job?

I think Millers' been pretty damn good at it this season, and i would have thought that him and Dobie certainly wouldn't be playing in the same starting eleven...

I'm just trying to put a positive spin on things.

Unfortunatly I think this is another case of Calderwood bringing in a player that he's heard of as opposed to a player that can actually the right job for us.

I'm just trying to put a positive spin on things.

Unfortunatly I think this is another case of Calderwood bringing in a player that he's heard of as opposed to a player that can actually the right job for us.

Unfortunately, i think you're right.

On another positive side of things, there is no mention of Stewart Duff in all of that.... :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, i think you're right.

On another positive side of things, there is no mention of Stewart Duff in all of that.... :thumbsup:

From the BBC rumours bit.

"Aberdeen have targeted Nottingham Forest striker Scott Dobie and Dundee United defender Stuart Duff. (Daily Express)"

also

"Rangers could turn to Aberdeen's Derek Soutar as back-up to goalkeeper Allan McGregor. (The Herald)"

:hammer:

"Aberdeen have targeted Nottingham Forest striker Scott Dobie and Dundee United defender Stuart Duff. (Daily Express)"

Duff? I still hope the roadblocks are being manned!

Dobie? A bit more promising. But giving him credit for his Scotland international status? My uncle's dog got a cap for Scotland thanks to Bertie Vogts ... and that dog has its hind legs on wheels!

"Rangers could turn to Aberdeen's Derek Soutar as back-up to goalkeeper Allan McGregor. (The Herald)"

Please take him! Worst acquisition we've made since Michael Bird.

Dobie? A bit more promising. But giving him credit for his Scotland international status? My uncle's dog got a cap for Scotland thanks to Bertie Vogts ... and that dog has its hind legs on wheels!

At least it's got hind legs. 

The irony of lee Wilkie being capped when he has no knees is something that wasn't lost on me. ;)

Guest Shabba Ranks

:hammer:

I hope Calderwood continues bringing in players that continue taking us forward every season.  He's done pretty well so far

Well read on teletext last night Calderwood being quoted as saying he would be bringing in fresh talent during the transfer window... Is Bus, Dobie and god help us Duff really the sum total of what we can expect.

Certainly doesn't overly excite this Dandy

Guest Shabba Ranks

Is Bus, Dobie and god help us Duff really the sum total of what we can expect.

Strengthening the squad is all we can do at this stage, surely?

Strengthening the squad is all we can do at this stage, surely?

Fair enough Shabba, but does any of these really strengthen our squad. Bus hasn't played a game this season but in fairness I don't really know much more about him. Dobie & Duff I do know about, and nae really sure how the acquisition of either really does this other than getting strenght in numbers ???

However if any of them do join up with the good ship AFC, I will give them the same 100% backing that I give every player that pulls on our shirt :thumbsup:

Guest Shabba Ranks

Fair enough Shabba, but does any of these really strengthen our squad. Bus hasn't played a game this season but in fairness I don't really know much more about him. Dobie & Duff I do know about, and nae really sure how the acquisition of either really does this other than getting strenght in numbers ???

However if any of them do join up with the good ship AFC, I will give them the same 100% backing that I give every player that pulls on our shirt :thumbsup:

It looks like Hart, Nicholson and Clark are going to be here till the summer, and Aluko on top of that as well.

I think Dobie would be a good acquisition to the squad, Bus is only on a 4 month contract, and nothing's happened with Duff as yet.  I can see him being brought in for left back back-up though.  :-\

There's still 2 weeks to go, so fingers crossed JC can pull in a Smith/Seve/Nicholson but I think a lot depends on what happens with the 'contract rebels' and whether money is brought in for them or not.

In an ideal world we'd be bringing in the likes of Hammell/Gow/etc. but it's not an ideal world unfortunately.  The squad can only be strengthened by bringing in 2/3/4 players, even if it just creates competition for places.  It's not all bad...  :thumbsup: