Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

CALDERWOOD CONTRACT TALKS HIT A STALEMATE

Guest Nellie The Don

Hart's unhappy with his pay?

Tell ye what Michael. Come do my job (by the way you'll need to spend 4 years +1 postgrad at yer ain expense qualifying first, then one year on probation (still effectively qualifying)) then actually have to work your fucking balls off.

Wanna swap for my pay dude?

I thought you were a teacher.  :wave:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So?

I'm pissed off, let me rant! ;)

It's all about life choices buddy. You didn't need to do all that, but you chose to.

Hart doesn't have to accept that he isn't being paid what he should - and let's face it, the guy deserves parity with Severin, Smith and Miller - so he's choosing not to. Can't say I blame him.

CALDERWOOD WANTS HIS NEW CONTRACT TALKS SETTLED SOON

08:50 - 09 January 2008

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood wants a swift resolution to his own new contract talks at Pittodrie.

Director of football Willie Miller is relaxed about the delay in securing the coaching staff on new deals but the manager has admitted the matter is becoming urgent.

Calderwood and Miller sat side by side yesterday to announce the latest developments regarding four of the Dons players approaching the end of their contracts.

Both attempted to play down questions about thefuture of the manager, who is considering his position ashe nears the end of his deal and contemplates the loss of several key players due to budget constraints.

When asked if a timescale for his own contract negotiations had been set, Calderwood turned to Miller and said: "Are you putting meunder pressure?"

Miller said: "No, I don't set deadlines. Even though I've read that there have been deadlines, I certainly don't set them."

Calderwood's response to the impromptu in-house question-and-answer session was telling.

The Dons manager said: "I think it is good if we get clarification soon."

There was no hint yesterday Calderwood was any nearer to committing hisfuture to the Dons and he acknowledged the hammer blow of the impending loss of Barry Nicholson, Michael Hart and Chris Clark hasnot made the decision any easier.

For the first time recently, he turned his thoughts to life after his Pittodrie reign.

Calderwood said: "Losing these players obviously has a bearing on my own thoughts. The last thing you want to do is lose good players. It is not good for any manager when you lose your best players.

"This isn't just about me - it is also about Jimmy Nicholl and Sandy Clark. They have to be happy. If we go then Willie has the drive to take the club forward, so I can't see the ambitions changing and I don't think the fans would let it happen."

The director of football insists the priority of the board has to be the players during January but made fresh assurances to his manager. Miller said: "Jimmy is an important part of what we are trying to achieve but there isn't a transfer window for managers. Jimmy's situation is ongoing and that will come to fruition in the not-too-distant future."

Calderwood's main concern is securing funds to rebuild his Dons team before it crumbles completely. There was no guarantee of a pot of gold yesterday from the board, which believes itsfinancial support for the manager is adequate.

Miller said: "I'm fully supportive of Jimmy and will do everything I possibly can to release funds to either replace the players he is going to lose or keep the ones we're trying to retain. I'm fully with Jimmy on everything he is trying to achieve."

Some interesting comments here.  Sounds like there's a bit of friction.

CALD WAR RAGES AT PITTODRIE

12:00 - 09 January 2008

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood and director Willie Miller sat just a few feet away from each other as they announced the fate of their four contract rebels.

But if body language is anything to go by, the two men who have done so much to restore respectability to the club over the last three years looked to be poles apart.

Star players Michael Hart, Barry Nicholson and Chris Clark are leaving after rejecting the new contracts offered to them.

Defender Zander Diamond will let the club know tomorrow if he plans to accept the improved terms made to him.

But fears that Calderwood could also leave will hardly have abated after his appearance at the packed press conference, alongside football director Miller.

The Dons boss, normally the most jovial of characters, spent most of the 19-minute conference looking grim.

His arms often crossed defensively across his chest, Calderwood rarely looked at Miller, who in contrast looked relaxed and confident.

Both men were reluctant to speak about the future of the manager, who has hinted he could leave if he doesn't get assurances cash will be available to keep his squad up to strength.

Calderwood batted questions away by insisting he "was there to talk about the four players."

When Miller was asked if he had set a deadline for a final answer from Calderwood - as he had for the four players - he replied: "Jimmy is an important part of our plans but as far as I know there isn't a transfer window for managers.

"The whole reason we are here is to clear up what is happening with the players.

"I would rather leave talk of anything else until a later date."

Given the importance of Calderwood to the Aberdeen cause, that was never going to happen.

The Aberdeen manager had just expressed frustration because the loss of Hart, Nicholson and Clark means he would have to rebuild his squad when Miller said: "Sir Alex Ferguson rebuilds his squad every four years. He does that whether he needs to or not."

"Aye, but he has £25m," interrupted Calderwood, before breaking out into a loud laugh.

Miller seemed far from amused, though. He continued: "Yes, but what we have is the money generated from getting to the group stages of the UEFA Cup and the sale of Russell Anderson.

"All of that will be redirected into the football budget.

" I don't know what else I can do. I've managed to persuade the board to reinvest all of it in the football budget. I really can't do any more than that.

"I'm fully supportive of Jimmy in the long term. The club will do everything we possibly can to release the funds he needs to replace or keep players."

Calderwood then admitted the extent of that backing will be a major factor as he ponders what to do.

"It's obviously got a bearing on it," said Calderwood.

"The last thing any manager wants is to lose is all his good players.

"We've also got to speak to Lee Miller, Richie Byrne and Steve Lovell about deals. "Derek Soutar has already indicated he wants to leave in the summer as well.

"If everyone rejects their offers you are talking about a major rebuilding job.

"We would have to make good offers to get players of quality in and it would be hard to do."

Calderwood was then asked if he had set his own deadline, to which he replied: "Why do people want a timescale? Are they trying to get rid of me?

Calderwood turned to face Miller, almost for the first time since the conference started and added: "There's not a timescale, is there Willie? Are you putting me under big P (pressure)?"

"No, no," replied Miller.

"I don't set deadlines."

Calderwood's nervous cough stopped Miller in his tracks. The Dons boss then said: "It would be good if we could get clarification as soon as possible."

If this Pittodrie conference was anything to go by, the Red Army better be prepared for more bad news.

I don't particularly think that it's people wanting him out, per se. I think it's more the fact that a considerable amount of Dandies just wouldn't be that arsed if he left or not for a whole host of reasons. 

True. He builds boring sides. People want entertainment. Yes Ebbe's sides were just too erratic ... brilliant one week, bloody aweful the next. But JC's sides are boring. The crowds want a win, yes. But they want to be entertained too! Playing Clark every week is NOT entertaining. Bringing De Visscher off the bench on the 87th minute every week is NOT entertaining. Scraping through 1-0 against Smurren and having the manager saying "I'm happy with the result" is NOT entertaining.

Sam Allardyce, however, is entertaining. I have fond memories of watching him on the tele when watching some older Cardiff matches. He was entertaining! I reckon the crowds would come if Sam was JC's replacement ... which, let's face it, we'll need a replacement during the summer. JC is on his way out, of that there is no doubt.

Why wouldn't he be happy with the result? You should also qualify that with what else he said about the performance, about which he was even visibly displeased.

Boring? Of late yes, but we were shipping goals for fun and had to shut up shop before the whole season got fucked and he's done that.

If anyone wants to call this season boring then I have to ask if they were actually alive.

Sam Allardyce, however, is entertaining. I have fond memories of watching him on the tele when watching some older Cardiff matches. He was entertaining! I reckon the crowds would come if Sam was JC's replacement ... which, let's face it, we'll need a replacement during the summer. JC is on his way out, of that there is no doubt.

You think so Reekster? Read this...

Sam Allardyce's Tombola!

True. He builds boring sides. People want entertainment. Yes Ebbe's sides were just too erratic ... brilliant one week, bloody aweful the next. But JC's sides are boring. The crowds want a win, yes. But they want to be entertained too! Playing Clark every week is NOT entertaining. Bringing De Visscher off the bench on the 87th minute every week is NOT entertaining. Scraping through 1-0 against Smurren and having the manager saying "I'm happy with the result" is NOT entertaining.

I must have missed that one week.

WE'RE ON WRITE ROAD

12:00 - 11 January 2008

Willie Miller hopes keeping the spine of the Dons team at the club will persuade manager Jimmy Calderwood to pen a new deal as well.

As revealed by the Evening Express on Tuesday, defender Zander Diamond has agreed to stay with the club for an extra three years.

The Dons have also opened contract talks with top scorer Lee Miller after rejecting a bid - believed to be around £110,000 - from Blackpool for the player.

With keeper Jamie Langfield already signed on a three-year deal as well, football director Miller believes they are doing all they can to show Calderwood they are eager to match his ambitions.

Miller said: "Successful teams need a strong spine and so far I've managed to persuade our keeper, and best central defender sign new deals.

"I'm now hoping Lee will agree staying with us as well is the best option. "His career has been dogged by transfers already, even though he is still a young man.

"I'm trying to convince him that sticking with us in the long term at this stage will do him as much good as it will

"Everything possible is being done to show the manager we want him to have as strong a squad as possible.

"If anyone out there thinks there is a lack of ambition at this club they are wrong. "I wouldn't have come back to Aberdeen if I thought there was a lack of ambition.

"But if they think there is a lack of realism at this club, they would also be wrong. "What I'm trying to do is match realism with ambition.

"Any deals done by us have got to be sound financially but we are pushing everything as far as we possibly can.

"I don't need to tell Jimmy how ambitious I am and he knows we are pushing the boat out as far as we can to give him what he wants."

Miller hopes to finally sort out Calderwood's situation next week.

"I can only say every day, six times a day, that I want Jimmy to stay," he said.

"I would prefer not to be in this position, but that's the cards we have been dealt with.

"But it's the first time in a decade that the club's had a clear plan laid down for the next three and a half years and the manager is a key part of that.

"But I'm not going to jeopardise that by throwing all the money we do have at one player.

"If players aren't happy and move on we've got to be up to the challenge of going out and bringing in others of the same calibre.

"Other clubs are trying to pinch our players, but that used to be the norm for Aberdeen.

"If Martin Buchan hadn't moved to England I probably wouldn't have got my chance at Aberdeen as a defender.

"I probably wouldn't have been asked to stay on for 20 years if that had happened. "Joe Harper, Gordon Strachan, Stevie Archibald and Mark McGhee are among the long list of others Aberdeen sold over the years when clubs down south came calling.

"It's a fact of life that Aberdeen have always lost players to English clubs when they have been doing well.

"Now that we are making big strides forward it will probably happen a lot more.

"But it will open the door to new signings being made and other players at the club getting a chance to show what they can do."