Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

CALDERWOOD CONTRACT TALKS HIT A STALEMATE

CALDERWOOD CONTRACT TALKS HIT A STALEMATE

08:50 - 07 January 2008

Jimmy Calderwood's future as manager ofAberdeen is in doubt, with discussions about a new contract reaching fresh stalemate.

With the future of four of his players due to be announced in the next 24 hours, fears are increasing within Pittodrie Calderwood views his long-term future away from the club.

Calderwood, who is out of contract at the end of the season after more than three years with the Dons, says he is waiting for the club to make him an offer.

The Dons say a contract offer has been made and they are waiting for the former Dunfermline manager to sign it.

Despite leading the club to third place in the SPL and into the Uefa Cup last season, Calderwood has become frustrated at what he sees as a lack of ambition from the club's directors.

Four of the clubs leading players, Zander Diamond, Michael Hart, Chris Clark and Barry Nicholson, are out of contract at the end of the season and are now free to talk to other clubs. The breaking up of the team which has the chance of repeating last season's fine finish has prompted the manager to consider his future.

There will be no money for the manager to strengthen the team during the January transfer window and, with the likes of Hibs and Hearts suffering poor seasons, Aber-deen have the opportunity to establish themselves as the third force in Scottish football. Calderwood admitted yesterday talks with directors regarding his future are not progressing quickly.

Asked if he was on the verge of quitting Aberdeen, Calderwood said: "Nothing is certain at this moment. My own contract situation is no nearer to be resolved and we are not that far down the road."

Calderwood has set a deadline of today for Clark, Hart, Diamond and Nicholson to accept new contract offers but talks about his ownfuture show no sign of being resolved, with both the club and manager believing the ball is in the other party's court. Calderwood said: "The situation is I am waiting for the club to get back to me. But it is wrong for people to jump to a conclusion where negotiations with the players and the club, and my own talks about a new contract, are linked."

Dons managing director Duncan Fraser is hopeful the club will be able to keep their man. He said: "If Jimmy is on the verge of quitting I've not been made aware of it. An offer is on the table and it is now a case of whether the manager will accept it or not."

Aberdeen's director of football Willie Miller, who signed a new three-year contract with the club along withFraser last year, has beenhandling the contract negotiations with the manager and players. He was unavailable for comment last night.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we in a catch 22 situation?

JC won't sign a new contract unless the board demonstrate their ambition, in the form of re-signing the 4 "rebels" and giving him transfer funds, yet the players won't sign until JC shows some commitment.

Does JC have a job lined up? Where exactly does he feel he can go that he can achieve as much as he can at afc?

Deluded manager, deluded players.

I have to say I'm with the board on this one and hope they take a hardline with JC.  He gave the players a deadline, the board should give him one

He's gone, no question about that.

He's trying to play a game so that he doesn't look like the bad guy in this. But as GS says, it's Catch 22 as the players wont sign unless he has and vice versa. He knows he can use that as a reason to walk. But he'd be a silly, silly man to walk out on our club. I don't know who he thinks he'll manage next, but I can assure him it won't be as good as Aberdeen.

If he goes (along with Diamond, Hart, Nicholson), then fair enough we might end up with a better manager, but we're going to be back at square one building a squad that'll take at least a couple of years to get back up to this season's level (i.e. challenging in multiple competitions).

I fear the worst.  WM needs to sort it out.

He's gone, no question about that.

He's trying to play a game so that he doesn't look like the bad guy in this. But as GS says, it's Catch 22 as the players wont sign unless he has and vice versa. He knows he can use that as a reason to walk. But he'd be a silly, silly man to walk out on our club. I don't know who he thinks he'll manage next, but I can assure him it won't be as good as Aberdeen.

Possible vacancy coming up at Newcastle ;)

he probably believes that shit

Would he fancy working in Edinburgh? Or is the bright lights of the bottom of the English First Division (Championship) that he craves?

I honestly believe that Calderwood rates himself that highly................sad to say but i really am coming around to the way of thinking that it might be for the best if he goes.

Are we in a catch 22 situation?

JC won't sign a new contract unless the board demonstrate their ambition, in the form of re-signing the 4 "rebels" and giving him transfer funds, yet the players won't sign until JC shows some commitment.

Does JC have a job lined up? Where exactly does he feel he can go that he can achieve as much as he can at afc?

Deluded manager, deluded players.

I have to say I'm with the board on this one and hope they take a hardline with JC.  He gave the players a deadline, the board should give him one

Nowhere comes to mind straight away but he can pick up a large paypacket elsewhere. If he wants to go then fuck him, no manager/player is bigger than the Dons.

I honestly believe that Calderwood rates himself that highly................sad to say but i really am coming around to the way of thinking that it might be for the best if he goes.

I used to be very much in the JC get tae fuck brigade, for want of a better description, but over the course of this season have increasingly felt we need to keep him, not least as it will keep the squad together.

However if he is going to fuck us around like this it will cause more harm than good.  I can imagine that he'll end up signing a new contract in June when he realises that nobody of any stature wants him. By which time we will have missed the boat (again) with new signings and lost half our team.

JC it's time to put up or shut up.

Guest Shabba Ranks

The JC get tae fuck brigade

And I think this has a huge bearing on why he may be considering leaving.  Not being accepted by what appears to be a 'large' section of fans must get to him.

Guest Shabba Ranks

a small yet vocal minority on message boards is not a large section of supporters

Aye, because those are the only folks that want Jimmy out  :hammer:

Have to say Shabba, that would get on ma tits too, what has the guy to do?

He hasn't won eff all but he's done everything but.

That said, if he's fucking the club around in a game of brinksmanship, then let him go. I've said it before elsewhere, good players/managers will always want to come to Aberdeen. If it's not the current ones, then by all means on your way and enjoy whatever you do next.

And I think this has a huge bearing on why he may be considering leaving.  Not being accepted by what appears to be a 'large' section of fans must get to him.

I'm not convinced that it is such a significant issue as you say, esp as the crowds have been increasingly supportive of JC in recent times, even giving the old "oh jimmy jimmy" an airing on occasion.

The problem here is, yet again, JCs ego.

Guest Shabba Ranks

so i take it you know the majority of dons fans opinions

FFS

Are you seriously telling me that JC has been accepted by Dons fans? *shrugs*

And do you know the majority of dons fans opinions?  :hammer:

Have to say Shabba, that would get on ma tits too, what has the guy to do?  He hasn't won eff all but he's done everything but.

Exactly.  Any person in any walk of life likes to be appreciated, especially if you're doing a job to the best of your ability.  It's only natural that this would get to him.

That said, if he's fucking the club around in a game of brinksmanship, then let him go. I've said it before elsewhere, good players/managers will always want to come to Aberdeen. If it's not the current ones, then by all means on your way and enjoy whatever you do next.

Wholeheartedly agree.  I'd like to think that he wants to stay at Aberdeen, and isn't just looking to attract offers before deciding his future.

Guest Shabba Ranks

I'm not convinced that it is such a significant issue as you say, esp as the crowds have been increasingly supportive of JC in recent times, even giving the old "oh jimmy jimmy" an airing on occasion.

When he first came, this was heard all the time down Pittodrie way, but now it's scarcely sung.

Guest Shabba Ranks

no he hasnt been accepted by all of them but you didnt say that.

:hammer:

Not being accepted by what appears to be a 'large' section of fans must get to him.

I'd hazard to guess that if JC did leave, there'd be a larger section cheering his departure than those commiserating his loss.  Just my opinion though.