Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

CALDERWOOD CONTRACT TALKS HIT A STALEMATE

So Mr Calderwood, remind us again how much those players cost Aberdeen FC to buy?

Notwithstanding Michael Hart's departure and subsequent return from Livingston, all except Nicholson came through the youth system.

So Mr Calderwood, ambition isn't all about spending money is it?  Good managers have to break up and rebuild teams all the time.  It would say more about Calderwood the man if he baulks at that challenge.  I think I'd respect him alot more if he just came out and said that he wasn't getting a big enough pay increase.

Am my eyes deceiving me or have you changed your tune recently?  :-\

Mind you I fear he is right, given his complete inability to unearth decent players.  Almost all the players he has signed that have done anything of note were already "big" names in Scottish football.  We clearly can't afford to replace those leaving with similar "names" so we would have to rely on his scouting network and contacts (sic).

Do we have a scouting network left or do JC and JN not take care of that along with Jimmy's son in Holland?

If so, we're pretty fucked for replacing the rebels if he's offski!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am my eyes deceiving me or have you changed your tune recently?   :-\

I wouldn't say so, no.  While I think he is actually more tactically astute than many of us give him credit for, and I do think he is overall a good football manager, he doesn not have what you would call "an eye for a player", and this for me is what this all boils down to.  By that I mean yes, he did a great job in bringing established SPL players to the club in Severin, Nicholson, Lovell etc, but he has never embellished the Aberdeen team with a rough gem that surprised us all.  At Dunfermline he had Skerla and de  Gier, bith fantastic players he took over from Holland, but in all his time in Scotland he has never brought a young player through the ranks.  Even Steve Paterson had the eye to pick out Heikkinen and Hart (who let's face it was an abomination in his first spell at AFC).

For example when a first choice player gets injured, the likes of Stephen Wright, Kevin McNaughton, Stephen Glass, christ knows even Scott Morrison and Steven Payne take a chance, but JC instead prefers to utilise the tombola which although may be the best option for a short-term fix, is ultimately tying his own hands in the medium term when he complains of the lack of young talent.

AFC can and will do without Jimmy Calderwood if he so decides to leave.  He's done well with what he's had and I'd thank him for that and wish him well, but I'm not so blinkered as to suggest that someone else might have done better, or indeed do better in the future.

REDS' CASH PLEDGE

12:00 - 08 January 2008

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood has been promised that every penny from the sale of any of his contract rebels will go straight back into his football budget.

Football director Willie Miller made the pledge in the fight to keep Calderwood.

EVERY PENNY WILL GO ON NEW PLAYERS

Willie Miller is convinced the Dons can match the ambitions of Jimmy Calderwood and keep him at Pittodrie.

Calderwood is stalling on signing a new deal until he receives assurances he will get enough funds to keep his squad up to strength.

Football director Miller, left, underlined his intentions to retain Calderwood by promising every penny possible will be transferred into the manager's football budget.

"No-one should question our ambition. We want success as much as our manager," said Miller.

"His budget has increased by £1m a year since he came to the club because fielding as strong a team as possible has always been our priority.

"Every penny raised from transfers would be put into that. Nothing will be siphoned off.

"But I make no apologies for saying there must be limits.

"I refuse to allow this club to get into the sort of difficulties experienced before from spending money that wasn't there.

"Jimmy knows that. We have made it clear from the day he arrived. But he also knows how much we want to keep him."

Miller expects a negative response from some fans because they have been unable to persuade Michael Hart, Chris Clark and Barry Nicholson to stay. But he pledged that they will be replaced.

Miller said: "Players come and go on a more regular basis now than when I was a player. That's because we will always face problems competing with the wages on offer in England.

"We do our best. The offers made to the players mentioned were the best we could come up with - better than they would get in Scotland outwith the Old Firm and possibly Hearts.

"But we cannot afford to pay the money players get in England."

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood has been promised that every penny from the sale of any of his contract rebels will go straight back into his football budget.

Football director Willie Miller made the pledge in the fight to keep Calderwood

Reckon that means that someone is DEFINATELY leaving for a fee?

Hart's reasons for leaving...

I CAN'T AFFORD TO BE ONE OF POOREST PAID AT PITTODRIE ANY MORE

Michael Hart is quitting Pittodrie because he's fed up getting underpaid.

The defender rejected Aberdeen's final contract offer before the dramatic UEFA Cup win over Copenhagen.

The deal also incorporated a testimonial, but the club vice-captain reckons he was undervalued by the Dons.

His decision to leave has sparked interest south of the border with Plymouth and Preston ready to battle it out for his services.

The 27-year-old wants to seal his exit before the transfer window shuts at the end of the month.

That would see him miss the epic battles with Dundee United in the CIS Cup semi-final and the European showdown with Bayern Munich.

"My decision is based on the fact the club have made it clear the offer on the table is their final offer," said Hart.

"That's very disappointing for me. The club gave me time to make my decision and now I have.

"The gaffer took me in and asked me for a final decision. I told him I didn't think it was the right offer.

"I felt I was worth more to the club than what I'd been offered.

"Willie Miller said it was his final offer and it was the maximum the club could go to.

"I just felt it wasn't good enough and there are a lot of players at the club earning a lot more than me.

"I said I didn't want any more than anyone else, I just wanted to be fairly paid.

"Willie stated the club is now trying to put a pay structure in place and everyone who is on bigger money will now have to come down.

"I felt if I had committed to the three-year deal with the testimonial I would have regretted it further down the line.

"The testimonial was such a big thing to turn down.

"But I just wanted to be paid my worth. It's a big decision and I could miss some massive games, but I had to do what's best for me."

Hart could have played his last match for Aberdeen.

The former Livingston man has missed the last three Dons games with a hip problem.

And he would rather leave now with Plymouth manager Paul Sturrock determined to land his man.

The Pilgrims boss has tabled a £175,000 bid for the defender, but he may be ready to up his offer if he can land two Dons.

Sturrock wants Hart and Chris Clark in a double deal, but will have to pay up to £500,000 to snare the Pittodrie pair.

But the duo could also pen pre-contract deals and leave Aberdeen for nothing in the summer.

I'd take the £500k. While I sympathise with Hart wanting to be paid fairly, he's been offered a testimonial while not actually due one and some big opportunities with the club certainly this season. Who exactly are Plymouth? Last time I read about them in the news it was about one of their players punching a bouncer on a night out or something. Also, has he even been to Plymouth yet?! It's worse than Aberdeen when it rains!

Guest Nellie The Don

175K for Hart  or 500K for hart and Clark............  :o

Geezzzuusss,  what is Sturrock on  ?

500k is what the paper says we want for them, not what is being offered.  I can't imagine we'll get more than half that.

Hart's reasons for leaving...

Thats shocking if its really the case, surely it wouldnt have taken much to make him one of the higher earners at the club, id say he is worth more to us than say smith and lovell who i presume are on higher wages than hart.

Sad to see that it looks like he's off because i doubt we will get a suitable replacement. taken a massive step back here and i think it'll only get worse if/when the rest announce they are also leaving

Where's that nice German website that had a list of players that were coming to the end of their contracts?

Someone can scan that for the afternoon and find suitable replacements for Hart and Nicholson.

Clark's replacement is me, and I'm doing it for 10 rowies a week. :thumbsup:

Hart's unhappy with his pay?

Tell ye what Michael. Come do my job (by the way you'll need to spend 4 years +1 postgrad at yer ain expense qualifying first, then one year on probation (still effectively qualifying)) then actually have to work your fucking balls off.

Wanna swap for my pay dude?

Didn't fucking think so, you mercenary little waste of skin

Hart's unhappy with his pay?

Tell ye what Michael. Come do my job (by the way you'll need to spend 4 years +1 postgrad at yer ain expense qualifying first, then one year on probation (still effectively qualifying)) then actually have to work your fucking balls off.

Wanna swap for my pay dude?

Didn't fucking think so, you mercenary little waste of skin

FOR FUCKS SAKE.