Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

CALDERWOOD CONTRACT TALKS HIT A STALEMATE

:hammer:

I'd hazard to guess that if JC did leave, there'd be a larger section cheering his departure than those commiserating his loss.  Just my opinion though.

I want him to sign but I'll be far from upset if he leaves.  It's the old problem of wanting to hug him one minute and beat the shit out of him the next

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shabba Ranks

It's the old problem of wanting to hug him one minute and beat the shit out of him the next

Headlock should be a happy-medium then?  :lolabove:

I don't particularly think that it's people wanting him out, per se. I think it's more the fact that a considerable amount of Dandies just wouldn't be that arsed if he left or not for a whole host of reasons. 

So you'd agree that he's not appreciated by many Dons fans?  In my opinion, he's never truly been accepted by the Aberdeen support, and as I've said already, this'd surely get to him.

I want him to stay, but that's not to say I'm right or that everything would go tits up if he left.  It's just the old 'better the devil you know' scenario.

Every season under Jimmy there's been improvement, not in the quality of football I grant you, but in terms of results and league position etc.  The thought of returning to the bad old days from the highs we're experiencing now frightens me.

Maybe a new manager could be good for the club, but it's human nature to resist change.  I'm scared.

Everyone seems to have missed the most worrying thing about this story as far as I'm concerned:

Despite leading the club to third place in the SPL and into the Uefa Cup last season, Calderwood has become frustrated at what he sees as a lack of ambition from the club's directors.

There will be no money for the manager to strengthen the team during the January transfer window and, with the likes of Hibs and Hearts suffering poor seasons, Aberdeen have the opportunity to establish themselves as the third force in Scottish football. Calderwood admitted yesterday talks with directors regarding his future are not progressing quickly.

The last person I remember coming out and saying this publicly was Jess.  He was seen as the bad guy for turning his back on the club yet we found ourselves saying the exact same thing on the terraces for years to come.

Managers and players will come and go but they're going to be shackled by the board everytime.  How are we ever going to attract anyone to the club if the people prepared or good enough to make that difference are leaving because of this?

:hammer:

As much as I have some sympathy with Calderwood's view that we need to back the team, he knew what the finances of the club were when he came.

They are, if anything, worse. Get real Jimmy, the board won't give what the club can't afford and no amount of moaning or veiled threats about leaving will make Milne change his mind about opening either his wallet or purse strings.

As much as I have some sympathy with Calderwood's view that we need to back the team, he knew what the finances of the club were when he came.

They are, if anything, worse. Get real Jimmy, the board won't give what the club can't afford and no amount of moaning or veiled threats about leaving will make Milne change his mind about opening either his wallet or purse strings.

beat me to it.

totally agree :thumbsup:

So you'd agree that he's not appreciated by many Dons fans?  In my opinion, he's never truly been accepted by the Aberdeen support, and as I've said already, this'd surely get to him.

Absolutely. I think there are the two extreme camps of "Jimmy is God" and "Jimmy Get Tae Fuck", but I'd imagine that there's a large amount of Dons fans somewhere in between. Most of whom may edge towards the "Jimmy is God" mob.

Think you are right in saying that he probably realises that there are whispers of discontent and has  probably realised this for a while. He wouldn't be human if that didn't stick in his throat even just a little. Whether those fans are right or wrong is irrelevant to be honest, JC has always thought that his stock was substantial enough to move him on to what he sees as a bigger club.  But, I reckon JC has reached his ceiling, looks like he'll find that out after it's too late.

Of course he'll have known the financial position of the club when he first signed to us but since then we've been coining it in with the European games and have actually sold one of our players.

To then be told "you're not getting any money" must be pretty fucking demoralising.

Of course he'll have known the financial position of the club when he first signed to us but since then we've been coining it in with the European games and have actually sold one of our players.

To then be told "you're not getting any money" must be pretty fucking demoralising.

But we're not "coining it in" enough not to service the debt.

He's been told he's getting £1.4m over three years for the squad, with the possibility of more to come. Maybe he should just dry his eyes and prove that he's good in the transfer market.

No money and a budget of 1.4 mill?

Guest Shabba Ranks

I reckon JC has reached his ceiling, looks like he'll find that out after it's too late.

Has he though?  He's done a pretty good job with us, having very little money to spend.

Has he though?  He's done a pretty good job with us, having very little money to spend.

I think he has. That may be totally wrong and it is just my opinion, but in reality, what are you going to do with - for talks sake - Leicester?  European football? No. Cup finals/semi finals a possibility? An extreme long shot. Do you think he'd get anything like the last day of last season anywhere else? Or the Copenhagen game? or taking another team to play Atletico Madrid?

Money wise there are loads of clubs who can better us. But, does JC at the end of his career want to look at his bank balance (that wont be unhealthy if he stays with us, let's face it) or be able to say, "this is what I achieved, and I was a massive cause for such brilliant games at Aberdeen"?  I certainly know which one I would pick.

This is one that gets trotted out every season with Calderwood, "he's taken us as far as he can" etc.

We've got better pretty much every year. Kinda fucks that argument up. Keeping the squad together would be great and Calderwood as manager too but unfortunately, when our players play well and get the kind of results they have, they get noticed by folk who can pay much more than us.

What the players and manager have then to do is work out for themselves what is best for them and their careers. It seems financial matters are uppermost in their minds as the only folk interested in them are not going to play European football EVER and the chances of winning medals is a distant prospect, unless you count the LDV Vans trophy as silverware of consequence.

Personally, im not quite sure what they guy has to do. Hes improved (and stabalised) our league position, taken us through to the last 32 of europe, which lets face it, NOONE thought we could given us a cup run etc etc. Surely he has the right over all the donkeys we have had (which the same board employed remember) to ask for more resources and a bit more support from the club through properly organised contracts and contract negotiations. The fans will support him when doing well, and likewise get on his back when doing poorly, as is the will of every football fan up and own the country.

What a fucking non event of a story/headline

12:00 - 07 January 2008

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood is considering quitting the club.

Four key players - Zander Diamond, Michael Hart, Barry Nicholson and Chris Clark - also look set to move out before the summer.

Plymouth Argyle are understood to have already tabled a six-figure bid for Hart and Clark.

Dons football director Willie Miller admitted he is concerned by developments, but vowed to do all he can to persuade Calderwood to stay at Pittodrie.

Guest Shabba Ranks

I think he has. That may be totally wrong and it is just my opinion, but in reality, what are you going to do with - for talks sake - Leicester?  European football? No. Cup finals/semi finals a possibility? An extreme long shot. Do you think he'd get anything like the last day of last season anywhere else? Or the Copenhagen game? or taking another team to play Atletico Madrid?

The ceiling I was talking about was more to do with how big a job he could get.  Is Aberdeen the pinnacle of his career, or could he get a shot at a 'bigger' job?

Outwith the Old Firm, I think that many managers see teams in the Scots Prem as a stepping stone to the Championship in England, where they hope they'll do a job before getting a move to the holy grail of the English Premiership.

Mark McGhee recently came out and said as much.  I think we sometimes forget how bad the finances in Scotland are, and that these guys have short careers.  It's only natural that they would be lured by financial security over personal glory.  We as fans will never grasp  how any player would want £££££ over games against the likes of Atletico and Bayern Munich.  :-[

Money wise there are loads of clubs who can better us. But, does JC at the end of his career want to look at his bank balance (that wont be unhealthy if he stays with us, let's face it) or be able to say, "this is what I achieved, and I was a massive cause for such brilliant games at Aberdeen"?  I certainly know which one I would pick.

I agree with you, but that's speaking as a fan surely?  This is just a job for him at the end of the day.

Guest Shabba Ranks

Plymouth Argyle - BWAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!

SIX FIGURE SUM?

SNAP THEIR FUCKING HANDS OFF ON THE WAY OUT THE DOOR AND SEND THEM ON THEIR WAY DOWN TO PLYMOUTH!!!   :rofl2:

That's better  :thumbsup:

So what then is the point in having leagues and cups then? If no one is interested professionally in glory/success then surely to benefit the player we shoulg get rid of all competitions nd just have a continual round robin of teams that go no whhre so as not to put the players out too much.  Surely the point of being  a professional athalete is to get to the highest point of success during your career and the finanial benefits follow that?? Not the other way around?