Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, 3.5 years is a long time for a 30 year old. But it's fine, it gives him the security he needs at that time in his career. We're nae obliged to keep him if he starts to play badly in a couple of years time, and ye'd hope he'd need a limited pay-off to go elsewhere if that were the case. Be interesting to see if he's fit for Saturday. I'd be inclined to leave him out until after the break to ensure he's a hunner percent - based on nothing. It puts Wright further down the pecking order again, which is a shame, but he's not taken his opportunity to the extent I think he could have.

Ya beauty.

Three and a half year deal surprises me though.

My reaction too. Delighted to have him back and I expect a motivated McGinn to have a clear influence on the team. Too long of a contract though, but I guess that shows how badly we need him, and it took that to get him ahead of the Edinburgh clubs. Good signing!

Aye, 3.5 years is a long time for a 30 year old. But it's fine, it gives him the security he needs at that time in his career. We're nae obliged to keep him if he starts to play badly in a couple of years time, and ye'd hope he'd need a limited pay-off to go elsewhere if that were the case. Be interesting to see if he's fit for Saturday. I'd be inclined to leave him out until after the break to ensure he's a hunner percent - based on nothing. It puts Wright further down the pecking order again, which is a shame, but he's not taken his opportunity to the extent I think he could have.

Won't be involved on Saturday Rico as doesn't officially rejoin until Monday.

I wish I had your optimism regarding the punting of Maynard.

Just cant see anyone wanting to take over his contract....and to think we sold Stockley who is banging them in for fun for Exeter. Yes I accept the difference in level but I know which one I'd rather have in the squad right now.

Our best hope of getting rid of wine gums is to teach him the words to the Sash/Derrys Walls/No Pope of Rome then have him chaffeured down to Ibrokes and tell him to sing as if he was on Songs of Praise. Surely to fuck sevco would bite.......

Brilliant news!  :thumbsup:

I'm surprised at the length of the contract. But, I think that may have been one of the things that swung him coming back. It will be great to see him fire in balls from the wing again.  ;D It will also be interesting to see the effect in May's game. I think he will thrive on the better service that McGinn can bring. 

Brilliant news!  :thumbsup:

I'm surprised at the length of the contract. But, I think that may have been one of the things that swung him coming back. It will be great to see him fire in balls from the wing again.  ;DIt will also be interesting to see the effect in May's game. I think he will thrive on the better service that McGinn can bring.

Think this is key.  Rooney hasn't been great this season but the service has been the worst it ever has been (in this team) so it's hardly surprising given that balls like the one Christie set him up with have been lacking. I'd like to hope that McGinn will allow us to make the most of both strikers' attributes. Might be the type of player to help May get a bit of a run going.

• 1 month later...

What a signing, goals and assists already, and no coincidence we've scored 14 goals in the four games he's been back. Wouldn't be surprised to see Stewart's playing time lessen and he'll disappear in the summer. Getting McGinn has been huge for us, plus the boost to the team is pretty clear.

60 league goals in 183 matches.

For a guy who isn't an out and out striker that is fantastic.  Doesn't take into account the number he sets up. That some people thought we'd be better without McGinn is utterly laughable. We've scored 10 in the 3 games he's started since coming back, it's no coincidence.

Yesterday wasn't his best game - nor was it a good team performance - but he still scored.

In the second half, it reminded me how much better-than-average he actually is. He kind of drops his shoulder when shifting direction and sort of "ghosts" into positions to cross into the box. He's been a breath of fresh air this time round and given GMS's twinkle toes performance yesterday and Ryan Christie also being pretty ineffective for the most part, McGinn is filling one of our gaps in comfort and style.

McGinn’s great in that he just needs to steal a single yard to be able to deliver a dangerous cross into the box, even from difficult angles.

GMS seems to need at least a quarter of the length of the pitch and to run at full pelt to get past the full back and get a cross in.

Yesterday wasn't his best game - nor was it a good team performance - but he still scored.

In the second half, it reminded me how much better-than-average he actually is. He kind of drops his shoulder when shifting direction and sort of "ghosts" into positions to cross into the box. He's been a breath of fresh air this time round and given GMS's twinkle toes performance yesterday and Ryan Christie also being pretty ineffective for the most part, McGinn is filling one of our gaps in comfort and style.

I always thought he would be the bigger loss between him and Hayes. It's the subtlety of McGinn we've missed.

Hayes was all action and lifted the team, but a lot of the time we got through trudged and stifled games with a McGinn goal or assist – the main example of this was the 1-1 draw with Killie up here pre-Clarke; I remember telling the guys I was with that it was game we missed missed McGinn and it was exactly the type of game he would of scored. Needless to say I was happy to see him re-sign!

As much as he drifts in and out of games, he’ll give you 5-10 minutes of something to help you score.

It also looks like the 6 months sabbatical across the world has done him a world of good. The Euros and early Europa league campaign really did knacker him early last season. He’s influenced every game he’s stated now; and it’s no wonder we’re on the goal  rampage again with him back!

GMS seems to need at least a quarter of the length of the pitch and to run at full pelt to get past the full back and get a cross in.

Similar to what SdG mentions above, you could easily have applied this statement to Hayes. Just that Hayes managed it more consistently than GMS.

Niall McGinn though is really showing how much we missed him and I was one of the fuds who wanted him away at the end of last season, shows you I know sweet FA.  :-[

I always thought he would be the bigger loss between him and Hayes. It's the subtlety of McGinn we've missed.

Hayes was all action and lifted the team, but a lot of the time we got through trudged and stifled games with a McGinn goal or assist – the main example of this was the 1-1 draw with Killie up here pre-Clarke; I remember telling the guys I was with that it was game we missed missed McGinn and it was exactly the type of game he would of scored. Needless to say I was happy to see him re-sign!

As much as he drifts in and out of games, he’ll give you 5-10 minutes of something to help you score.

It also looks like the 6 months sabbatical across the world has done him a world of good. The Euros and early Europa league campaign really did knacker him early last season. He’s influenced every game he’s stated now; and it’s no wonder we’re on the goal  rampage again with him back!

There is no doubt that he had got stale in his last seasons with us. He was always capable of a much better average performance than he delivered. He was sometimes sublime but too often happy to exist in a team of journeymen who were never good enough to win anything.

I remember that goal at Tynecastle when he crossed for Hayes and another time at Tynecastle, he took it from the left corner flag, ghosted past a bunch and buried it to give a commanding lead in the first half (3-0 I think and he may have scored more than 1 that day).

On the other hand, he never showed that degree of passion and desire often enough and whilst I criticised him as "lazy" in previous seasons, others misinterpreted this as physical laziness where I was talking about his motivation issues.

When he reflects back on his career, I would imagine that he must admit that he's been an underperformer. He's a quality act, far superior to the average we've had at AFC the whole of this century, one of the more gifted footballers that we've had but AFC is an easy life for him. He never challenged himself to be the best he could be but then again, the vast majority don't either.

A frustrating footballer sometimes but totally galvanised by his time in Korea. Hopefully he will work his bollocks off in these swansong last years of his career but given his previous, I don't see him keeping it up with the same consistency that the best (in any sport) do.

• 5 years later...