Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see youth given a chance by being squad players, replacing a Pawlett, Miles Storey, or a Christie, but replacing arguably one of if not our best player with youth isn't acceptable to me.

I take your point, it's not unfair.  My logic on this would be if we took Mcginn out of the current side the remaining ten would be more than capable carrying a young player like Wright through his first ten starts. If we are to sign to replace him however I would be maybe looking at Stevie Mallan at Helen.  He's always looked very capable though I'm not sure if he prefers a more central role.

We better Ferguson's home record tonight with a comfortable 3-0 win against Caley, we then pump the dead club on Sunday with another comfortable win, 4-0 this time, then on the Monday McGinn signs a 2-year contract. Not a bad week coming up folks  :thumbsup:

Only 2 years?  I blame McInnes.

• 6 months later...

I'd be gutted if he came back, i was one of the cheer leaders when he announced he was leaving.

First of all his brilliance was very scarce, and secondly i want to see Scott Wright get a proper chance, i look forward to watching him more than i ever did McGinn (outside of his first season with us).

I class McGinn in the same bracket as McLean.... someone who has used us to their own benefit, which i don't have a problem with, but their lack of passion for the club is there for all to see and contributes to their lack of consistency.

I'd be gutted if he came back, i was one of the cheer leaders when he announced he was leaving.

First of all his brilliance was very scarce, and secondly i want to see Scott Wright get a proper chance, i look forward to watching him more than i ever did McGinn (outside of his first season with us).

I class McGinn in the same bracket as McLean.... someone who has used us to their own benefit, which i don't have a problem with, but their lack of passion for the club is there for all to see and contributes to their lack of consistency.

Excellent post. Totally agree on every point.

And I'm also of the same opinion. We would get 2 or 3 games of brilliance a season, 20 of mediocrity and another 15 or so of utter horse shit. Not worth the biggest wage in the playing staff he would surely demand on returning from South Korea...

Fartz or a lower English Championship club it is then..

The under-rating of McGinn on here is chronic. When you look at his goals and assists over his time here then the accusation of being mediocre in half the games doesn't stack up.

With Stewart and Christie only here temporarily then it would be a major bonus getting McGinn back.

It's all academic mind you as it'll never happen.

if can get him on the cheap i would suggest he would be worth it a far more effective player than Mclean  his last 2 seasons here he was in double figures in assists and goals was he not ?

Yes. But goals and assists clearly aren't good enough for us!

The under-rating of McGinn on here is chronic. When you look at his goals and assists over his time here then the accusation of being mediocre in half the games doesn't stack up.

With Stewart and Christie only here temporarily then it would be a major bonus getting McGinn back.

I agree. He got absolutely no credit for the amount of tracking back he did in all games, which was phenomenal. He was classed as lazy and disinterested when he was struggling - as all wingers do - to beat his man (we see Wright missing for large spells of games and will continue to, as it comes with the role). He never shirked his responsibility when tracking his man, which has been far more visible since Stewart, Wright, GMS and Christie have joined.

I don't want him back because the fans don't particularly like him, and I can't be airsed with the general abuse and pre-conceived performance criticism he gets because he looks like a sulky Tim fuck. Same reason I hope McLean leaves for looking like a sulky hun fuck.

I find some of the negativity around McGinn's legacy bewildering.  McGinn, Hayes and Rooney were the cornerstone of the dramatic turnaround in the club's fortunes in the last five years.  He may have had poor games like anyone else, but he was easily one of our best players.

There can be no questioning that he was a massive upgrade on what we had been used to for the previous 15 years or so and he did give us some fantastic performances. I just feel in the last 18 months or so his performance consistency levels dropped to a level where it showed he really wanted to be somewhere else.

Given the choice of resigning McGinn ( on a free admittedly) or getting Christie in for a fee (750k?) on a 4 year contract, I'd prefer the board showed a bit of ambition and took the punt on Christie. If he kicked on at us in a couple of years we could be looking at selling him on for 3-4 times that fee. And if not well we know we have a player who is still significantly better than most within Scotland and who we get the best years of.

Bringing players back who had previously been with us generally doesn't work out too well. Joe Miller in his second spell wasn't half the player he was before he joined the dhims. Leighton was god awful in his second spell ( admittedly playing behind a defence that was nowhere near as good as when he left). Jess never really hit the heights of his first spell although to be fair he was consistently above average.

If the board feel Christie is too expensive....as an alternative I'd be happy with them going for Chris Cadden from 'Well.

McGinn didn't leave us because he wanted to go to South Korea, he left us because he wanted to get away from Aberdeen and play for someone else, anyone else.

If he does come back here, it'll be with his tail between his legs because he can't hack it in South Korea and no-one else wants him, his heart won't be in it. As much as I liked him while he was here, it's a no for me.

I'd say no because he'd become an even bigger target for the boo boys. We had him at his best but the last season or two he went stale. Can't deny his goals and assists were huge for us but we pass and move forward, he wanted to leave and doubt he'd be so passionate and enthusiastic to return.

• 4 weeks later...