Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

God to retire?

Sir Alex Ferguson's future as Manchester United manager was shrouded in doubt on Tuesday evening, with sources claiming that there would be a statement about his position and that the squad had been told to expect an announcement.

Some of the United squad were at a golf day on Tuesday at Dunham Massey, where they played against members of the coaching staff and were told to prepare to receive news regarding their manager.

United's press department could not be reached to confirm or deny the story.

Since leading United to a 20th championship and the 13th of his 27-year reign at the club, the 71-year-old has offered no hint that he may end his tenure. Yet given that since he announced his retirement at the end of the 2001-2 season months ahead of the close of that campaign before performing a U-turn, Ferguson vowed to make any future decision at short notice.

United had earlier confirmed reports that Ferguson is booked in for hip surgery immediately after the club return from their three-week pre-season tour at the end of July. That Ferguson will have his summer break and then travel to Thailand, Australia, Japan and Hong Kong before the operation suggested he was not going to be on the sidelines for too long.

Just watched his interview on the bbc sport web...

Interviewer: Do you think you could survive at this club if you went 5 years without a trophy. Would the pressure come on you?

SAF: It wouldn't happen. No chance. I don't believe we would (go that long without a trophy)

Nice one -  :thumbsup:

It'll be a sad day when he does retire.....

As I mentioned in the other thread, lots of bookies had already slashed the prices on Moyes so I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in it.  Sad day for football if he does decide to retire though! What are Wrigleys going to do? :D

Is Moyes going to be able to continue the Man Utd dominance?

I have to say I'm enjoying all the glory hunter tears.

I'd imagine so, I think Moyes is moulded out the same piece of rock as Fergie. I said to my Dad I thought this would happen after Fergie reacted the way he did after going out of the Champions League.

Angry Scotsman to be released into community

08-05-13

BRITAIN faces the prospect of yet another unemployed, angry Scottish person at large.

Do not engage him in conversation. That’s what he wants.Alexander Ferguson, a Glaswegian, will be released during the summer, with experts warning of a devastating effect on tourism, the economy and everything else.

Professor Henry Brubaker, from the Institute for Studies, said: “The one thing that puts people off visiting Britain is the very real prospect of being accosted in the street by an inexplicably furious Scotsman.

“Football clubs have proved to be very effective at containing belligerent Scottish people who would otherwise be free to vent their spleen in a public space.

“The football clubs should be forced to keep them, for ever, in a gated community where they can scream at each other and work on their endless, incomprehensible grudges.”

Meanwhile, Ferguson’s release has prompted golf clubs across the UK to draw up contingency plans in case they become the venue for his ongoing campaign of terror.

Martin Bishop, secretary of Hatfield Golf and Country Club, said: “We have taken down our website and prepared temporary signage to make the place look like a garden centre.”

Bishop added: “He now has the chance to travel. I think they should put him on the Orient Express so he can call everyone in Venice a bastard.”  ;D

Everyone at Aberdeen Football Club wishes Sir Alex a long and happy retirement following this morning's announcement. His contribution, both to Manchester United and Aberdeen, will quite simply never be matched, and it is fitting in many ways, that he has confirmed that he is stepping down just three days before the 30th anniversary of that never to be forgotten night in Gothenburg.

Never be matched eh? Definitely not getting a season ticket now.

What's the chances of them being in the same state as us in 26 years?

The difference between us and Man Utd is when he left Aberdeen the great team was begining to break up, Murray had just arrived at Rangers and was spending millions which we could not match. At Man United he is leaving a good squad and Man United do have money to spend.

I was lying by a pool in Mallorca when I heard this news, it seemed to come out of the blue as I wasn't aware of the rumours gathering pace.

Good luck to him, the greatest manager that has ever lived.

However, I thought Willie Miller was god?

I was lying by a pool in Mallorca when I heard this news, it seemed to come out of the blue as I wasn't aware of the rumours gathering pace.

Good luck to him, the greatest manager that has ever lived.

However, I thought Willie Miller was god?

Aye but this place is hoachin' wi' Mancs, remember.