Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

Pa Broon & Archie - confirmed on 2.5 year deals

I am happy with the appointment. Welcome aboard and welcome home Archie Knox.

Brown has the experience as someone else said to build a foundation.

A few People were mentioning Paul Hartley on here, he is not ready yet but if he is Mentored by Brown and Knox for a year or two then he could be the man in the future.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Craig Browns Wikipedia page :

On 28 December 2009 it was announced that Brown would be taking charge of Motherwell, with Archie Knox as his assistant.[3] Brown and Knox established Motherwell in the top six of the Scottish Premier League during their first year in charge.[4] Brown, who was working without a contract at Motherwelll, rebuffed an approach by Aberdeen on December 8 2010, however then had a change of heart after a second approach and accepted the job on December 9 2010, early indications show that he has had a senior moment and is currently pishing himself behind a bin at Toryglen Asda [4]

Diamond, Considine, Pawlett, Fyvie, Jack, Robertson, Aluko, Maguire, Paton, Fraser, Megginson.  To varying extents, these are ten young players who have shown glimpses of real promise.  Do not underestimate the impact that a coach like Craig Brown (and Archie Knox) can have on these players.  He has such a wealth of experience and respect from top class players and managers alike that he can leave a lasting impression on young players purely from the respect that his experience creates.  He will improve our young players, of that I am 100% certain.  He will demand nothing less that to get them playing to a consistent level.  If these young players can form a spine to our team, then supplemented with two or three more experienced players, I have faith that this Aberdeen team can really kick on.  McGhee didn't have it in him to improve these players, Brown has the track record to prove that he will.  That is the foundation that he will build.

Kev this is bang on and I agree with your post wholeheartedly. +1  :thumbsup:

Delighted to waken up this morning to the news that this is a step closer, just need the confirmation of pictures from the news conference. Imagine that he'll watch the game from the stand tomorrow and offically take charge as of monday.

Got to laugh at Murderwell greeting the way they appear to be. If he didn't have a contract, what can we have done wrong by talking to him and offering him a job. Typical farce from Mr "two pence in the pound" Boyle :wave:

I'm delighted with these developments, a well-respected, intelligent, media-savvy, experienced manager with a good track record of developing young players.  Obviously not a long-term appointment, but to steady the ship, build a good base for the next man to come in.  Now we'll really see what the likes of Maguire, Diamond, Aluko et al are made of - Broon takes no prisoners and will either sort them out or move them on.

The board of directors have got the right man as far as I'm concerned and have now bought themselves some time to sort the club out.

Well said  :thumbsup:

‘Good cop, bad cop combination’ ideal for Pittodrie

BROWN AND KNOX Will RESTORE ORDER AT ABERDEEN, SAYS FORMER REDS MIDFIELDER BARRY NICHOLSON

By Michael Gannon

Published: 10/12/2010

FORMER Aberdeen midfielder Barry Nicholson believes Craig Brown and Archie Knox are the ideal good cop, bad cop combination to restore order at Pittodrie.

The Motherwell management team is to take control at the Dons after a rigorous pursuit from Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne.

Brown turned down an initial approach, but was persuaded to give the post more thought which led to a change of heart. The Dons were last night completing negotiations with the former Scotland manager, who spent yesterday discussing the move with Knox, his family and officials at Motherwell.

Nicholson received two of his three Scotland caps under Brown, against Poland and Latvia in 2001, and was part of the Rangers set-up when Knox was assistant-manager during Walter Smith’s first spell at Ibrox.

Nicholson said: “It is not for me to tell the Aberdeen board who to bring in, but they could not go wrong with Craig and Archie. Craig gave me my first cap for Scotland and he was brilliant to play for.

“He is so enthusiastic about the game and he has a wealth of knowledge.

“You feel you are in safe hands because he has so much experience there is nothing he does not know about football.

“He knows how to get the best out of players.

“I played at Rangers when Archie was Walter Smith’s assistant. I would imagine he has mellowed since then, he must have.

“He is a top coach and another one who knows how to get players playing to their best.

“I can see them as a good cop, bad cop combination and it is maybe what Aberdeen need at the moment.

“They have lost their way a bit, and it needs a new management team to come in and install some confidence.”

Earlier yesterday Aberdeen maintained they had not made any formal offers.

The search sub-committee of Milne, Willie Miller and chief executive Duncan Fraser are remaining silent, but a statement said: “Aberdeen has not yet offered anyone the manger’s job at Pittodrie.

“We are undertaking due diligence on a limited number of potential candidates, but we are not yet at the stage of making an offer to anyone.

“We inquired whether Craig Brown and Archie Knox would be interested in the possibility of coming to Aberdeen and that is as far as it went.

“The board is well aware while we need to get someone in place as soon as possible, it is even more important the person we appoint is the correct one for Aberdeen.”

Scotland under-21 coach Billy Stark, former Hibs manager John Hughes and former St Mirren manager Gus MacPherson were all believed to have been possible alternatives for the job, along with Raith Rovers’ manager John McGlynn.

"Separately we do wish to make clear that as a Board we believe that the conduct of the Board of Aberdeen in this matter has been wholly inappropriate and in clear breach of SPL rules as well as basic courtesy. At no point did they inform us or seek our permission to speak to critical employees of our Club and to seek to entice them to leave our employment.

"We realise the desperation they are feeling and the pressure they are under from their fans for their own performance as a Board but to go about their business in this way is a matter of gross discourtesy. It is also conduct which is beneath the integrity we would expect of a Club of Aberdeen's stature. We hope Aberdeen's fans will reflect on that and understand our need to do something about it. We have raised this matter with the SPL and will pursue the matter vigorously and by all means.

"To all Motherwell fans everywhere we ask for you to rally round the Club as you always do and we will work together to keep punching above our weight and obtaining the success we all seek. This Club is bigger than any manager and for that matter any Board. As fans we will always be the people who care most about this club for the long term. Loyalty is clearly all too rare in football but we know we have it in ourselves for the club we love. Motherwell is a special club from a special place as anyone touched by us knows well."

So rare that you didna even give him a contract!  :hammer:

At least the saga is over, it could have lasted a lot longer. At this stage, I am hopeful, but I will delay the euphoria for a few weeks. The only problem for me is just how much of the malaise is down to the players level of ability, or has it all just been down to a poisoned attitude in the dressing room, leading to abysmal performances on the pitch. Maybe Brown has the charisma and leadership qualities that McGhee lacked. I wish him good luck, and sincerely hope he is the one to turn it round. It will be extremely interesting to see how certain players perform both on the pitch and off it as well.

The only problem for me is just how much of the malaise is down to the players level of ability, or has it all just been down to a poisoned attitude in the dressing room, leading to abysmal performances on the pitch.

The players we have are far from the greatest, but within the league they are nowhere near the worst, in general. That was the most alarming thing for me with McGhee, he made what looked like some good moves in the transfer market but failed to get his players to play.

I've got no doubts it's mostly down to a poisoned attitude in the dressing room. I've said it before, but we have to get rid of certain individuals if that is going to change and I'd start with Langfield and Diamond.

Pa Broon is well over rated but because of lack of other decent names you lot think its great.

In my opinion its a sad day when we want Broon as our manager (still game will never be the same again)

CBMG

Read this

Diamond, Considine, Pawlett, Fyvie, Jack, Robertson, Aluko, Maguire, Paton, Fraser, Megginson.  To varying extents, these are ten young players who have shown glimpses of real promise.  Do not underestimate the impact that a coach like Craig Brown (and Archie Knox) can have on these players.  He has such a wealth of experience and respect from top class players and managers alike that he can leave a lasting impression on young players purely from the respect that his experience creates.  He will improve our young players, of that I am 100% certain.  He will demand nothing less that to get them playing to a consistent level.  If these young players can form a spine to our team, then supplemented with two or three more experienced players, I have faith that this Aberdeen team can really kick on.  McGhee didn't have it in him to improve these players, Brown has the track record to prove that he will.  That is the foundation that he will build.

AND SHUT THE FUCK UP!

The players we have are far from the greatest, but within the league they are nowhere near the worst, in general. That was the most alarming thing for me with McGhee, he made what looked like some good moves in the transfer market but failed to get his players to play.

I've got no doubts it's mostly down to a poisoned attitude in the dressing room. I've said it before, but we have to get rid of certain individuals if that is going to change and I'd start with Langfield and Diamond.

Do you not think it's likely that we may see a change of attitude from some players and thus a return to form. Especially Langfield if Leighton is coming back and I would have thought Diamond is likely to improve, from current form, as under Brown I can only see us becoming difficult to break down.

Do you not think it's likely that we may see a change of attitude from some players and thus a return to form. Especially Langfield if Leighton is coming back and I would have thought Diamond is likely to improve, from current form, as under Brown I can only see us becoming difficult to break down.

They may well improve, my post is nothing to do with ability and everything to do with attitude. I don't care anymore if they play well, they should be out the door. And if they play well for the new boss, how long is it before they just decide again "I can't be fucked"? And so it starts again...

I firmly believe Brown is the right appointment. If nothing else, he'll have the players playing for him and the shirt.

If that does happen, then it will make a difference, but there's still a lot of questions about the ability of a number of them. But I've seen some solid journeymen pros in my time, so if they can transform them to that level of dependability then so much the better. But it will take a while to eradicate the habit of defensive mistakes, I fear.

Read this

AND SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Bullshit the younger players will get better without a Geriatric as their manager.

Sure i will back the manager but I still think its the wrong choice

Must go and look for the post when he became Motherwell manager to see what you all had to say then.