Wednesday 19th June 2024

Euro 2024 -  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland v 🇨🇭Switzerland

kick-off 8pm

Huns after Foster? Confirmed - Velicka to Pittodrie in year loan deal

If we get basey in i will be happy enough! Foster can fuck off to the hun - hes shite, would love it if hes playing against us!

Terrible bit of business if this is our last move, but great move if it means getting a bonafida left back in!

Velicka isnt a bad striker to take in, the guy has a really impressive scoring record.

Still no right back though. And when was the last time Velicka kicked a ball in anger. We play one up front and now have 7 strikers on our books. Think its a pretty poor bit of business myself.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you make of it, Swapping foster for a guy who is a genuine goal-scorer and freeing up some wages seems like an excellent deal to me!

I'd be surprised if we dont take in at least one more player! Lets not forget we have only conceded 1 goal this season in 4 games.

Depends what you make of it, Swapping foster for a guy who is a genuine goal-scorer and freeing up some wages seems like an excellent deal to me!

I'd be surprised if we dont take in at least one more player! Lets not forget we have only conceded 1 goal this season in 4 games.

Lets not forget we have only played Hamilton, St Johnstone, Alloa and Killie in those games so we should not be expecting to concede many goals against these teams. Also none of these teams had out and out wingers to exploit our lack of full backs.

Agree that when fit Velicka should provide a genuine goal threat however he has been injured for the last two years.

Why such a negative reaction here?

We have swapped a player that couldn't get a game for us, with a proven international goalscorer. I think this is a very good deal. Velicka has always impressed me. If Foster does well for them, then he comes back here a more valuable player next season. It's not like he will score vs us, as he wont be allowed to play!

Good move AFC :)

Dons D-day coup as they sign Rangers attacker

velicka on his way to pittodrie as foster goes in opposite direction

By Michael Gannon

Published: 01/09/2010

Aberdeen last night sealed a transfer deadline day deal to sign attacker Andrius Velicka on loan from Rangers until the end of the season – with Dons defender Richard Foster heading in the opposite direction to Ibrox.

Velicka, 31, who is part of the Lithuania squad to play Scotland in the European championship qualifier in Kaunas on Friday, is in the final year of his lucrative contract at Ibrox and looking to kick-start his career.

Velicka scored five goals in nine appearances for the Light Blues following his £1million move from Norweigian club Viking Stavanger in 2008, but failed to secure a regular role at the Glasgow. He lasted just 11 minutes into his debut at Bristol City following a loan move last season after suffering cruciate ligament damage.

It was his performances during 18 months at Hearts, alongside now Dons captain Paul Hartley, for which he is best known and Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee will be looking for the attacker to reproduce that form.

The departure of Foster is a blow to the Pittodrie club but director of football Willie Miller believes the addition of Velicka is sufficient compensation. Foster signed a three-and-a-half year contract with the club in January this year and Miller said he remains part of the long-term plans.

Miller said: “This all happened late in the day but the opportunity to sign a proven goal scorer such as Andrius was to good for us to miss.

“We are obviously disappointed to lose Richard for the season, but given he is still under contract he remains very much part of the bigger picture at Aberdeen.

“This season we are running with a very young squad and Andrius does add plenty off SPL experience that was not there before.”

Foster is looking to make the most of his opportunity with the champions.

Ibrox manager Walter Smith sees the versatile player as ideal cover in defence and midfield and the 25-year-old has a wealth of SPL experience with 250 appearances for the Dons.

Foster said: “It has all happened very quickly. I was surprised, but very excited.”

Foster unwittingly helped Rangers on their way to becoming champions when he scored an own goal in the 2-0 Dons defeat at Ibrox on May 16, 2009.

He said: “Scoring at Ibrox was something I thought about, but not an own goal.

“At least I can say I have scored for Rangers at Ibrox and hopefully I can add a few more this season.

“The Champions League is the biggest stage of all and to have the chance to play there is terrific.

“I know a lot of the players already having played against them a few times and also with them for Scotland under-21s. I know Steven Naismith, Steven Whittaker and Kirk Broadfoot from that time.

“So I have to hit the ground running and show what I can do in training and try to get into the manager’s plans as early as I can.

“If you look at the Rangers team it’s going to be difficult for me to break in. Hopefully my pace can be an asset in either of the full back positions or further forward.

“I realise I am a squad player, but I hope to do what I can to show I can play for Rangers.”

Foster’s departure will strengthen manager Mark McGhee’s desire for defensive reinforcements.

He can sign former Charlton full back Grant Basey outwith the transfer window as the 21-year-old is a free agent.

McGhee can also loan out players to lower league clubs and he will need to persuade at least one of Velicka’s seven fellow forwards to go out, although Michael Paton failed to agree on a proposed move to Dundee.

Defender Stirling Smith has joined Dumbarton on a month’s loan.

The Scotland under-19 international suffered an ankle injury and is looking to build fitness before pushing for inclusion in the first team squad.

Who's wages have been freed up?

Who's wages have been freed up?

Foster just signed a long-term deal, on decent money i guess. Maybe the Huns have been nice enough to pay all of Foster's and velicka's wages? That desperate to get Foster in?

I'm also a bit confused by the freeing up wages comment.

I would have rather took a fee for Foster instead of us getting the short end of the straw

The trouble with a fee and a permanent transfer is MM would have seen none of the money.

Trying to be positive about all this, at least this way we got a striker with a decent pedigree, Foster remains property of Afc (which could be good financially if he impresses with those wanks) and worst case scenario I can see is we have to welcome a tarnished Ricky Foster back next season, hopefully an improved player with a winning habit.

Wheeling and dealing with those minks makes me feel very uneasy though.

David robertson too.  That photo is just horrible.  I really do not understand the footballing logic in this decision.  The only benefit could be that foster does well there and someone with cash decides they want to buy him, im not saying that i dont think he should ever play for aberdeen again but its going to be hard to forget this.