Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mackie - Testitmonial?

I'll be there. Not the most talented in the world, but there's never been a question about his attitude over his time.

Seriously?  You maybe want to speak to Duncan Shearer about that.

surely one goal against dnipro in 10 years doesn't justify a big thankyou.

Apparently it does.  Fucking sad days.  The guy is a poor, poor player.  Doesn't seem to bother some though, worryingly.

Seriously?  You maybe want to speak to Duncan Shearer about that.

Apparently it does.  Fucking sad days.  The guy is a poor, poor player.  Doesn't seem to bother some though, worryingly.

To be honest, I'm not sure what incident you're referring to here. I've only really followed the Dons through the 'Mackie Years' and every big game he's been there he also scored 2 of the most enjoyable goals I've ever seen. Not sure what more you could ask of for a player of such limited ability.

To be honest, I'm not sure what incident you're referring to here. I've only really followed the Dons through the 'Mackie Years' and every big game he's been there he also scored 2 of the most enjoyable goals I've ever seen. Not sure what more you could ask of for a player of such limited ability.

Is that a piss take?

???

Ok then, i'll humour you although i'm not sure if i'm being fished here or not:

and every big game he's been there

Uh huh and done what in every big game we've had??

scored 2 of the most enjoyable goals I've ever seen. Not sure what more you could ask of for a player of such limited ability.

Two goals in ten years? he's deserving of a testimonial cos of two goals in ten years? Really?

For a striker, that is fucking criminal.  It is monumentally depressing that Aberdeen fans believe this guy is any way deserving of a testimonial.  It makes me sick.

Two goals in ten years? he's deserving of a testimonial cos of two goals in ten years? Really?

For a striker, that is fucking criminal.  It is monumentally depressing that Aberdeen fans believe this guy is any way deserving of a testimonial.  It makes me sick.

Sign of the times Bobby. It makes me sick how bad we've been in the last ten years. It's an inevitable by-product of that that the only first team player who's given 10 years service is a shit player. Nevertheless the Dnipro goal is as big, if not bigger, than anything any other player has done for AFC in that time. And as I said, If not Mackie, then we've given our last testimonial as a club in most of our lifetimes.

Denying him a testimonial just seems petty or bitter from my point of view.

Sign of the times Bobby. It makes me sick how bad we've been in the last ten years. It's an inevitable by-product of that that the only first team player who's given 10 years service is a shit player. Nevertheless the Dnipro goal is as big, if not bigger, than anything any other player has done for AFC in that time. And as I said, If not Mackie, then we've given our last testimonial as a club in most of our lifetimes.

Denying him a testimonial just seems petty or bitter from my point of view.

If the club granted him a testimonial i wouldn't wish to deny him of that, please do not think that.

The thing that gets me is the readiness of certain fans to excuse this guy of a decade of incompetence due to 2 goals apparently - I'm assuming the other is the SC goal at Parkhead, which came within a year or so of the other. So he had how many years of doing nothing worthy for us?

I'm not one of these fans who hates Mackie. I came to accept he'd be with us for a long time some years ago.  I just can not pretend he's anything other than shite.  He isn't the modern day equivalent of John Hewitt, he isn't even the modern day equivalent of Steve Cowan.  Some folk seem to think it makes them better fans if they give old Barren their unreserved backing.. it doesn't. It just makes them look stupid.  He plays for Aberdeen so I'll support him, but i'll never pretend he's anything other than what he actually is. Good luck to the guy, he's lived my dream, but i'm not going to kid on he's anything other than what he is.

Oddly enough I'm no historian, but if we have a check I'm sure we'll see that he's scored more than 2 goals. He may not be a great player but he's been with our club through some hard hard times, he's taken an incredible amount of abuse, some deserved and some undeserved but he's Aberdeen through and through which is something we'll be lucky to see again for some time.

Let's give the guy the same that any other player gets for having ten years service at this club.

Oddly enough I'm no historian, but if we have a check I'm sure we'll see that he's scored more than 2 goals. He may not be a great player but he's been with our club through some hard hard times, he's taken an incredible amount of abuse, some deserved and some undeserved but he's Aberdeen through and through which is something we'll be lucky to see again for some time.

why does that matter? he's useless.  I'd rather have guys who don't support us but can actually play football.  If Mark McGhee signed 8 guys this summer of his ability but all supported the Dons you'd be fucking raging, and rightly so. So why is it acceptable here?

Let's give the guy the same that any other player gets for having ten years service at this club.

As i said, i wouldn't wish to deny him a testimonial if he's due it.

If the club granted him a testimonial i wouldn't wish to deny him of that, please do not think that.

The thing that gets me is the readiness of certain fans to excuse this guy of a decade of incompetence due to 2 goals apparently - I'm assuming the other is the SC goal at Parkhead, which came within a year or so of the other. So he had how many years of doing nothing worthy for us?

I'm not one of these fans who hates Mackie. I came to accept he'd be with us for a long time some years ago.  I just can not pretend he's anything other than shite.  He isn't the modern day equivalent of John Hewitt, he isn't even the modern day equivalent of Steve Cowan.  Some folk seem to think it makes them better fans if they give old Barren their unreserved backing.. it doesn't. It just makes them look stupid.  He plays for Aberdeen so I'll support him, but i'll never pretend he's anything other than what he actually is. Good luck to the guy, he's lived my dream, but i'm not going to kid on he's anything other than what he is.

I do agree with this but again, for better or worse (mostly worse) I do think he's earned his dues in the shape of a testimonial. Mackie is not comparable to the standards of our halcyon days. He shouldn't have reached the position of being deserving of a testimonial, but he's been a starter for a decade, been one of...2, 3? non-mercenaries at the club. I'm of the opinion that ANYONE who plays and is loyal to a club for a decade deserves a testimonial as a mark of gratitude.

Comparisons are often drawn between football players and real world workers so the same applies. You manage to hang on to your job until retirement age (however you do so) and therefore are entitled to expect your pension.

why does that matter? he's useless.

It matters because that's what a testimonial is all about. It's a loyalty bonus. And Mackie's been a loyal servant to the club.

Are people just arguing about this for the sake of arguing?

He deserves a testimonial because he's been a loyal servant to the club. Thats it. Simple.

Nothing else is really relevent to this discussion.

He deserves a testimonial because he's been a loyal servant to the club. Thats it. Simple.

Nothing else is really relevent to this discussion.

So why did people feel the need to justify it by saying he "scored in dnipro" or he scored "at Parkhead in the SC"?

I have consistently said in this thread if he's due it then it shouldn't be denied, i'm only saying that if people think that two significant goals (one of which turned out to mean nothing, unfortunately) justifies it then they're tripping.  it's fuck all to do with "plays for the jersey" etc, he's been here ten years so he gets a testimonial.