Lee Miller: Will he stay or will he go?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's gone (or so says the P&J)

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1585178

Dons race is on as Miller moves

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee faces a deadline-day race against the clock to sign a replacement for Lee Miller, who will today be unveiled as a Middlesbrough player after completing a deal worth around £500,000.

The 26-year-old did enough in Aberdeen's 3-0 victory at Hearts last Wednesday to convince watching Boro manager Gordon Strachan to take the attacker to the Riverside Stadium.

The decision to allow Miller to depart was not a difficult one for the Dons. The Scotland international had six months remaining on his contract and McGhee was resigned to losing him for nothing in the summer.

The fee recovered was also too lucrative to resist and the Aberdeen manager is now hoping to channel some of those funds towards strengthening his side.

He will today make a final bid to sign Plymouth Argyle forward Steven MacLean but there are also several other potential targets, including Kilmarnock's Kevin Kyle.

MacLean is his first choice but he has also looked at the prospect of landing former Motherwell forward David Clarkson on loan until the end of the season.

The Scotland cap has struggled to make an impact at Bristol City due to illness and injury since his summer move and would be a ready-made replacement for Miller.

The loss of Miller will need to be balanced as the limitations of the Dons squad were exposed on Saturday when a jaded looking side slumped to a 3-0 defeat by Motherwell at Pittodrie.

John Sutton netted either side of a Lukas Jutkieweicz strike to seal a comfortable victory for the Steelmen.

Aberdeen have slipped out of the top six and are 15 points behind third-placed Hibs, with a game in hand, and trail Dundee United in fourth by 12, albeit having played two games less.

McGhee is also considering making a move for Hearts captain Michael Stewart, who is out of contract in the summer, and Dons defender Richard Foster admitted the squad could do with reinforcements for the SPL run-in.

He said: “I think we have got quite a thin squad, with just 15 or 16 senior players. Ultimately, the decision is the manager's and I am sure he will not resort to panic buys and just bring in any old players.

“Any new arrivals have to strengthen the team, not just the squad.

“It has been a really frustrating season. We want to build momentum but every time we have got a game when we can make up some ground on our rivals we slip up.

“We still have a couple of games in hand, so the ball is still in our court. We have a massive game against Falkirk on Tuesday and we need to get all three points."

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1585178#ixzz0eHNPlMRJ

£500,000 is a FANTASTIC piece of business for us, in my opinion. If we don't get anyone in on time to replace him, then we might just start playing some nice football up top as opposed to lumping the ball forward to mIller all the time.

Front three of Aluko, Pawlett and any one of Mackie,McGuire,Paton,New Striker will do me fine.

Michael Stewart  ::)

TBH Ajja, on the right deal i.e nae breaking the wage structure, I'd personally take him to Aberdeen in a flash.

Absolute ersewipe, but certainly never ever on the park to just go through the motions like certain members of our midfield currently do.

Dons race is on as Miller moves

McGHEE STEPS UP SIGNING EFFORTS AFTER FORWARD LEE GETS SET TO JOIN MIDDLESBROUGH FOR £500,000

By Michael Gannon

Published: 01/02/2010

Lee Miller:bound for Riverside Stadium

More Pictures

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee faces a deadline-day race against the clock to sign a replacement for Lee Miller, who will today be unveiled as a Middlesbrough player after completing a deal worth around £500,000.

The 26-year-old did enough in Aberdeen's 3-0 victory at Hearts last Wednesday to convince watching Boro manager Gordon Strachan to take the attacker to the Riverside Stadium.

The decision to allow Miller to depart was not a difficult one for the Dons. The Scotland international had six months remaining on his contract and McGhee was resigned to losing him for nothing in the summer.

The fee recovered was also too lucrative to resist and the Aberdeen manager is now hoping to channel some of those funds towards strengthening his side.

He will today make a final bid to sign Plymouth Argyle forward Steven MacLean but there are also several other potential targets, including Kilmarnock's Kevin Kyle.

MacLean is his first choice but he has also looked at the prospect of landing former Motherwell forward David Clarkson on loan until the end of the season.

The Scotland cap has struggled to make an impact at Bristol City due to illness and injury since his summer move and would be a ready-made replacement for Miller.

The loss of Miller will need to be balanced as the limitations of the Dons squad were exposed on Saturday when a jaded looking side slumped to a 3-0 defeat by Motherwell at Pittodrie.

John Sutton netted either side of a Lukas Jutkieweicz strike to seal a comfortable victory for the Steelmen.

Aberdeen have slipped out of the top six and are 15 points behind third-placed Hibs, with a game in hand, and trail Dundee United in fourth by 12, albeit having played two games less.

McGhee is also considering making a move for Hearts captain Michael Stewart, who is out of contract in the summer, and Dons defender Richard Foster admitted the squad could do with reinforcements for the SPL run-in.

He said: “I think we have got quite a thin squad, with just 15 or 16 senior players. Ultimately, the decision is the manager's and I am sure he will not resort to panic buys and just bring in any old players.

“Any new arrivals have to strengthen the team, not just the squad.

“It has been a really frustrating season. We want to build momentum but every time we have got a game when we can make up some ground on our rivals we slip up.

“We still have a couple of games in hand, so the ball is still in our court. We have a massive game against Falkirk on Tuesday and we need to get all three points."

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1585178#ixzz0eHUwaQ1w

from the EE:

Mcghee (on Kyle): "I'm convinced it would have been a good move for him and for Aberdeen. But he wants to wait until the summer and see what else comes up"

"I can also confirm that we made an inquiry for Clarkson but Bristol said they didn't want him to leave"

"But we are still pursuing Maclean. I will speak to him agan today and see if I can progress things further"

Also apparently O'Brien won't be going anywhere this window

from the EE:

Mcghee (on Kyle): "I'm convinced it would have been a good move for him and for Aberdeen. But he wants to wait until the summer and see what else comes up"

"I can also confirm that we made an inquiry for Clarkson but Bristol said they didn't want him to leave"

"But we are still pursuing Maclean. I will speak to him agan today and see if I can progress things further"

Also apparently O'Brien won't be going anywhere this window

thats the only problem, getting a replacement in :-\