Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Hibs v Aberdeen (31/10/09)

happened to us at Easter Road some years ago, sitting in a pub up beside where the buses park and Hibs casuals came in. They picked on a scarfer again, who had his back to them, and put a bottle over his head.  A few of us fought them and they backed off. Unfortunately, these cretins seemed rather upset that their blood had ruined their burberry shirts, and when we left the pub for the ground they were waiting for us on London Road with a whole load of their mates.  Needless to say, I made it to the ground in record breaking time that day...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

poor highlights too.

Only got to listen to the game but im sure there were numerous chances for both teams in both halve.

Seem to recall the only action from the first half were the yellow cards.

Don't know about numerous chances for both sides.  Our first (only) shot on target was McDonalds and I'm struggling to remember Langfield making a save before the parry from Stokes.  Hibs had a lot of shots but most were nearer the corner flag than our goal

This apparent rule of 'Scarfers are to be left alone' if it ever existed has been thrown out of the window now. Im not going to be rushing back to easter road anytime soon.

I wouldn't let a bunch of jumped up wee shites stop you from going to Easter Road.  Thankfully these are still isolated incidents and unfortunately we were in the wrong place at the wrong time on Saturday.  Why should they win by stopping us from going to watch our team?

Don't know about numerous chances for both sides.  Our first (only) shot on target was McDonalds and I'm struggling to remember Langfield making a save before the parry from Stokes.  Hibs had a lot of shots but most were nearer the corner flag than our goal

I wouldn't let a bunch of jumped up wee shites stop you from going to Easter Road.  Thankfully these are still isolated incidents and unfortunately we were in the wrong place at the wrong time on Saturday.  Why should they win by stopping us from going to watch our team?

When you look at it like that they're doing you a favour.

I've never seen any trouble down there first hand, although I've not been down since early on last season but it is one of the tense places to go.

Looks like we need to get ASC up to stength again to fight back. ;)

I, however, shall not be volunteering.

poor highlights too.

Only got to listen to the game but im sure there were numerous chances for both teams in both halve.

Seem to recall the only action from the first half were the yellow cards.

Must be a good commentator you were listening to as that first half was dire.

Just seen the highlights now, poor refereeing.

Very poor.

I've watched the incidents a few times now, and with every view the decisions seem more baffling. Not one of the tackles was malicious at all - its football FFS, players will collide with each other several times over the course of 90 minutes.

Ross' first cautionable offence looked worse than it was I believe, his foot was raised because the ball was a little off the ground. It didn't help that the Hibee involved made a meal of it, but certainly a quick word from the referee would have sufficed. His second wasn't even a foul - he made no challenge and accidently came into contact with the player after he released the ball. I know its an old line but football is a contact sport; once again the referee upon giving the foul would have been wiser to remind him of his earlier booking and move on.

Maguire's first was clumsy, and under the FIFA vocabulary of "careless, reckless and excessive force" it perhaps merited  a caution. The straight red however was bizzarre and growing trend in the game just now. The 'studs up' challenge has been bastardised in the sense that it is no longer about ensuring a player does not inflict serious injury, but it is now a game in which the referee sprints towards the incident brandishing a red should a player's studs touch another's foot in the process of tackling. If treading on someones foot is always punished with a red card then it'll be a strange game that we end up wth.

The referee on Saturday clearly set his stall out early - his first caution was in the tenth minute. Although all incidents should be judged individually, reching for the pocket that early sets a dangerous precedent which he clearly felt obliged to stick to throughout the game. I am confident that a more experienced referee would have dealt with the (fairly standard) incidents better and we perhaps would be sitting here with a point or three and without needless suspensions on an already fragile squad.

Didnt say anything about us all boycotting them. My own personal choice same as my decision to avoid games at Ibrox.

Id rather avoid the opportunity to be put in Hosptial or if things went the other way, the courts and several years in jail.

Here is Chick Young's view from the BBC website. Of course he had to slip in a bit about the referee in a Rangers game being bad.

Chick Young's view

By Chick Young

BBC Scotland football correspondent

It has been a bad week for referees and Holy Willies.

As Celtic chairman John Reid was laying into the sanctimonious - and I have reason to believe that his target was not indeed Rangers, but rather some shareholders who attended his own club's AGM - Aberdeen were turning the guns on poor Steven Nicholls.

Rookie ref Nicholls, it seems, could give the currently petted-lipped postmen a half-mile start when it comes to delivering cards.

On the club's official website someone scripted the words: "When cards are being dished out like confetti, players become afraid to make tackles.

"Nine against 11 - perhaps make that 12 - for the best part of half an hour means an unequal situation and that is cheating the fans."

That, I have to say, is a pretty serious accusation. "Cheat" is a noun that has legal teams getting their mouths all shaped for the words "libel" and "slander".

In fact, they have obviously gone as far as suggesting he was performing for Hibs. Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab. This is not for the faint hearted.

And for sure it blows from the water Hugh Dallas's Pravda-style agreement with clubs that they would not comment on referees' performances to the media after the games.

Not that I ever believed the gagging would work in the first place.

Aberdeen will be punished by the Scottish Football Association for this, of course they will.

Otherwise, Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov might rightly question that there is one rule for Lithuanians and one for the natives, given that he has a standing order with the association to square up his fines.

The blood-spitting Dons even suggested Nicholls allowed the game to degenerate to the level of farce.

Brian Rix - the king of the art form - would be awful proud.

Actually, as long as they are aware of the laws of the land, I defend in true Braveheart-style to my dying day Aberdeen's right to voice an opinion.

The SFA need to wake up to the fact that if people don't chip in their tuppenceworth then the game is dead.

It's what makes football breathe in bars and living rooms across the country.

However, I don't agree with much they said.

It's all-out verbal war. The world has gone stark-raging bonkers

Chick Young

Dallas has already defended his organisation's plan to fast-track match officials to the big time. Indeed Nicholls, bound for the Fifa list, was in just his second SPL game.

But I watched television highlights of the key moments of the game and there has to be a time when players take a little responsibility for their actions.

Tackles were flying in despite the Dons website claims that "hardly a strong tackle was made", and if you suggest the match official was performing as a 12th man for the opposition then it is innuendo which points at something next door to corruption.

There have been some pretty miserable refereeing performances this season - and not all of them from Scots.

The Swedish oaf Mr Eriksson who took charge of Rangers v Sevilla in the Champions League match at Ibrox was a role model for any aspiring idiot.

Sometimes it is far too easy to blame your own shortcomings on others - and I'll hold my hand up to that - and referees don't operate in camouflage.

Pin-pointing individual mistakes is one thing. Machine-gun fire claiming out-and-out bias is another altogether.

Mind you, Michael Stewart has returned the fire.

The Hearts captain is fair raging at the written media after claiming his comments on Hibs were "manipulated" in an attempt to stir the mood ahead of this weekend's Edinburgh derby.

He used the Hearts website - er, that'll be the written media - to have a right go at the hacks who allegedly stitched him up.

"They are complete parasites," he said. "They tried to manipulate, twist and put a spin on everything that has been said."

It's all-out verbal war. The world has gone stark-raging bonkers.

Nobody is safe out there. Even newspaper reporters are under fire - and none of it is very friendly.

It was Robert Burns who wrote about Holy Willie.

Even that old soul would have been left without a prayer in the cruel modern world of the Scottish game.

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8341492.stm

Published: 2009/11/03 22:45:27 GMT

© BBC MMIX

Here is Chick Young's view from the BBC website. Of course he had to slip in a bit about the referee in a Rangers game being bad.

Chick Young's view

By Chick Young

BBC Scotland football correspondent

It has been a bad week for referees and Holy Willies.

As Celtic chairman John Reid was laying into the sanctimonious - and I have reason to believe that his target was not indeed Rangers, but rather some shareholders who attended his own club's AGM - Aberdeen were turning the guns on poor Steven Nicholls.

Rookie ref Nicholls, it seems, could give the currently petted-lipped postmen a half-mile start when it comes to delivering cards.

On the club's official website someone scripted the words: "When cards are being dished out like confetti, players become afraid to make tackles.

"Nine against 11 - perhaps make that 12 - for the best part of half an hour means an unequal situation and that is cheating the fans."

That, I have to say, is a pretty serious accusation. "Cheat" is a noun that has legal teams getting their mouths all shaped for the words "libel" and "slander".

In fact, they have obviously gone as far as suggesting he was performing for Hibs. Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab. This is not for the faint hearted.

And for sure it blows from the water Hugh Dallas's Pravda-style agreement with clubs that they would not comment on referees' performances to the media after the games.

Not that I ever believed the gagging would work in the first place.

Aberdeen will be punished by the Scottish Football Association for this, of course they will.

Otherwise, Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov might rightly question that there is one rule for Lithuanians and one for the natives, given that he has a standing order with the association to square up his fines.

The blood-spitting Dons even suggested Nicholls allowed the game to degenerate to the level of farce.

Brian Rix - the king of the art form - would be awful proud.

Actually, as long as they are aware of the laws of the land, I defend in true Braveheart-style to my dying day Aberdeen's right to voice an opinion.

The SFA need to wake up to the fact that if people don't chip in their tuppenceworth then the game is dead.

It's what makes football breathe in bars and living rooms across the country.

However, I don't agree with much they said.

It's all-out verbal war. The world has gone stark-raging bonkers

Chick Young

Dallas has already defended his organisation's plan to fast-track match officials to the big time. Indeed Nicholls, bound for the Fifa list, was in just his second SPL game.

But I watched television highlights of the key moments of the game and there has to be a time when players take a little responsibility for their actions.

Tackles were flying in despite the Dons website claims that "hardly a strong tackle was made", and if you suggest the match official was performing as a 12th man for the opposition then it is innuendo which points at something next door to corruption.

There have been some pretty miserable refereeing performances this season - and not all of them from Scots.

The Swedish oaf Mr Eriksson who took charge of Rangers v Sevilla in the Champions League match at Ibrox was a role model for any aspiring idiot.

Sometimes it is far too easy to blame your own shortcomings on others - and I'll hold my hand up to that - and referees don't operate in camouflage.

Pin-pointing individual mistakes is one thing. Machine-gun fire claiming out-and-out bias is another altogether.

Mind you, Michael Stewart has returned the fire.

The Hearts captain is fair raging at the written media after claiming his comments on Hibs were "manipulated" in an attempt to stir the mood ahead of this weekend's Edinburgh derby.

He used the Hearts website - er, that'll be the written media - to have a right go at the hacks who allegedly stitched him up.

"They are complete parasites," he said. "They tried to manipulate, twist and put a spin on everything that has been said."

It's all-out verbal war. The world has gone stark-raging bonkers.

Nobody is safe out there. Even newspaper reporters are under fire - and none of it is very friendly.

It was Robert Burns who wrote about Holy Willie.

Even that old soul would have been left without a prayer in the cruel modern world of the Scottish game.

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8341492.stm

Published: 2009/11/03 22:45:27 GMT

© BBC MMIX

So the ref who was the decisive factor in our game due to two unjust red cards is a 'poor rookie', yet the individual who oversaw the massacre of the huns (part I) without making nearly as great an impact is an 'oaf'?

Nice logic, Chick.

That piece makes no sense whatsoever. Just "chico" trying to do his usual and sound clever. Empty vessels make the most noise right enough.

However, AFC have gone well over the score on this. Maguire's tackles were both worthy of bookings so he'd have been off anyway and we shouldn't really be complaining about those. Ross's second booking was wrong though, but still hardly the injustice AFC are making it out to be. Likewise with Murray's tackle, which was never deserving of a red card.

It seems to me like McGhee and Miller are taking a leaf out of their old gaffer's book and trying to deflect attention away from our decidedly average start to the season. I've got no problem with that and it might even help to fire the players up if they think they're being hard done by  :thumbsup:

That piece makes no sense whatsoever. Just "chico" trying to do his usual and sound clever. Empty vessels make the most noise right enough.

However, AFC have gone well over the score on this. Maguire's tackles were both worthy of bookings so he'd have been off anyway and we shouldn't really be complaining about those. Ross's second booking was wrong though, but still hardly the injustice AFC are making it out to be. Likewise with Murray's tackle, which was never deserving of a red card.

It seems to me like McGhee and Miller are taking a leaf out of their old gaffer's book and trying to deflect attention away from our decidedly average start to the season. I've got no problem with that and it might even help to fire the players up if they think they're being hard done by  :thumbsup:

Its an interesting tactic to adopt, I don't think your to far of the mark. Look what happened to the crowd at Easter Road, the fans gave the team a standing ovation as they were totally believing that the team had given everything and had been cheated. The club seem to be making small PR steps to keep this feeling of being cheated in everyone's mind, it might help get the fans behind the team and maybe even pressurise a ref into giving us a few 50/50's  :thumbsup: