Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McGhee Must Go

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the article in the P&J about Wiggy giving money to McGhee to sign some players following the Sigma shambles. Whilst it's probably a case of throwing money at a cause that is already lost, I applaud Wiggy.

The Dons have no money whatsoever, and our chairman is in the contruction business - a sector that is still suffering heavily from the recession. For Wiggy to find cash when neither the SPL TV deal nor his own construction business can find so much as a spare penny is commendable.

Lets hope McGhee doesn't spend sixteen weeks on one player. Seems he had all his eggs in the Plymouth Argyle basket previously, which was a stupid thing to do. Mark, use that cash wisely, but use it QUICKLY. We need cover for Thursday night!

Fuck Thursday night. Far as im concerned that is a game for the youth team with a couple of borderline first teamers. The cover is required for August 15th when celtic come a calling. Spending too much time chasing a player is a bad idea but even worse is signing someone up wthout putting any thought in to it. I really hope the opening line in the negotiations isnt 'so can ya be in the czech republic for Thursday morning. If it is they may as well stick the ball gag in and bend over the players agents desk.

Bb i'm sure there was an article in one of the papers with wm pretty much alluding to that point. Milne needs to invest as its clear (finally!) That the lack of investment is going to cost the club a further fortune. I know we haven't done it, and why we haven't but i just wish sometimes we would specutlate to accumulate before a disaster. I know its easier said than done, but we were crying out for it, and i am suprised it took mm and probably the club this long to realise.

Fuck Thursday night. Far as im concerned that is a game for the youth team with a couple of borderline first teamers. The cover is required for August 15th when celtic come a calling. Spending too much time chasing a player is a bad idea but even worse is signing someone up wthout putting any thought in to it. I really hope the opening line in the negotiations isnt 'so can ya be in the czech republic for Thursday morning. If it is they may as well stick the ball gag in and bend over the players agents desk.

The "first team" players need the match practice for their fitness and we need to get the team gelling for the start of the league. This game should be more beneficial than a friendly so we have to use it to our advantage.

Bb i'm sure there was an article in one of the papers with wm pretty much alluding to that point. Milne needs to invest as its clear (finally!) That the lack of investment is going to cost the club a further fortune. I know we haven't done it, and why we haven't but i just wish sometimes we would specutlate to accumulate before a disaster. I know its easier said than done, but we were crying out for it, and i am suprised it took mm and probably the club this long to realise.

I agree, but again, and this is only from what i've heard, even if JC had kept his job the board would not have trusted him with any transfer funds because of a split in the board re his record in the transfer market. We do, at some point, have to speculate to accumulate, but I thought this was going to be the point as I thought MM would have been given a substantial budget. Obviously not, unfortunately.

You are probably correct fj. In my opinion its more of a beneficial deadline so they can hopefully get into the squad for the hull game. Just to get a run around with the team etc. Otherwise we'll be incredibly lucky to escape the celtic game without a cricket score.

I am not sure but I don't think any purchases before Thursday would be eligible for the second leg. I was under the impression that the deadline for signing players for the tie was for both legs. I could be wrong though.

You are correct. Would like any new players in before Hull game though so as they have at least one game with team before the Tims game.

I think this thread is a tad hasty, No one can defend the result and I was all for Mike Newell but to be fair I don't think McGhee's done a lot wrong.

He put faith in Mackie and Miller up front, realised this was a bloody stupid idea and pulled Mackie,

He put faith in Miller up front on his own, is actually what he did.

This is not a knee jerk reaction, but I'm genuinely concerned this could be a very short stay for McGhee.

:-\

I'm starting to think the same, we've looked atrocious tonight, and by all accounts did last week too.  And the fact that we have got to this stage without signing a new CB is suicidal.  That should have been priority number 1, and a very urgent priority. I dont buy this no money pish at all, if there wasnt any money then the club wouldnt have been talking to johnson or have agreed a fee.

Time to pull the finger out McGhee...............

I'm starting to think the same, we've looked atrocious tonight, and by all accounts did last week too.  And the fact that we have got to this stage without signing a new CB is suicidal.  That should have been priority number 1, and a very urgent priority. I dont buy this no money pish at all, if there wasnt any money then the club wouldnt have been talking to johnson or have agreed a fee.

Time to pull the finger out McGhee...............

we haven't bought a CB in 2 years, the problems possibly run deeper.

Having said that McGhee won't have the luxury of hammerings week after week that Ebbe got a few years ago.

we haven't bought a CB in 2 years, the problems possibly run deeper.

Having said that McGhee won't have the luxury of hammerings week after week that Ebbe got a few years ago.

The difference being that until now we had the players to cover for the lack of depth in central defence, currently we've got 2 senior centre halfs, only one of whom is fit, the other seems like he has forgotten to play football.  I agree that the problems in our squad run deeper than lacking defensive problems however a blind man could see that a cb was number 1 priority.  Its simply unacceptable that the team can be this woefully unprepared for a game billed as vital to the clubs season and financial situation.  And i would be saying the same no matter who was our manager just now.

The difference being that until now we had the players to cover for the lack of depth in central defence, currently we've got 2 senior centre halfs, only one of whom is fit, the other seems like he has forgotten to play football.  I agree that the problems in our squad run deeper than lacking defensive problems however a blind man could see that a cb was number 1 priority.  Its simply unacceptable that the team can be this woefully unprepared for a game billed as vital to the clubs season and financial situation.  And i would be saying the same no matter who was our manager just now.

Don't disagree with any of that

I read the article in the P&J about Wiggy giving money to McGhee to sign some players following the Sigma shambles. Whilst it's probably a case of throwing money at a cause that is already lost, I applaud Wiggy.

The Dons have no money whatsoever, and our chairman is in the contruction business - a sector that is still suffering heavily from the recession. For Wiggy to find cash when neither the SPL TV deal nor his own construction business can find so much as a spare penny is commendable.

Lets hope McGhee doesn't spend sixteen weeks on one player. Seems he had all his eggs in the Plymouth Argyle basket previously, which was a stupid thing to do. Mark, use that cash wisely, but use it QUICKLY. We need cover for Thursday night!

For christ sake - he's the chairman - it's his job to invest - or get the fuck out of the club.