Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

McGhee Must Go

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Paul Bernard was a very accomplished player and i'm 99% sure if he hadn't had a Jamie Smith like amount of injuries we'd have been selling on a Scotland international at profit.

Paul Bernard was a relative of a neighbour of my grandma and she told me that his dad died not long after he joined us which completely affected his life and subsequently his football

In my opinion McGhee could have changed our tactics as early as 10 minutes in, but he opted to leave us as we were.  Young and Duff looked hopelessly exposed, through-balls going over their heads because their positional sense was so bad. But neither are defenders.  I sympathise with MM because the squad is so small, but please dont say he could do nothing about it.  It was a massive gamble playing them there.  He possibly underestimated the opposition and assumed we'd get away with it, but he was wrong.

In my opinion we wouldn't have lost that game with Scott Severin on the park. Simple as that.  Until he is replaced with a quality centre back with proper leadership/organisational skills we are going to be fucked.

In my opinion McGhee could have changed our tactics as early as 10 minutes in, but he opted to leave us as we were.  Young and Duff looked hopelessly exposed, through-balls going over their heads because their positional sense was so bad. But neither are defenders.  I sympathise with MM because the squad is so small, but please dont say he could do nothing about it.  It was a massive gamble playing them there.  He possibly underestimated the opposition and assumed we'd get away with it, but he was wrong.

In my opinion we wouldn't have lost that game with Scott Severin on the park. Simple as that.  Until he is replaced with a quality centre back with proper leadership/organisational skills we are going to be fucked.

He did accept responsibilty for the shambolic defence in his interview and also alluded to the fact that time was wasted trying to sign the french guy rather than other players before tonight's game

I agree with that, and while he obviously doesn't really want Mulgrew at the back, Mulgrew at least would (or should) understand the positional part of things better.

In my opinion we wouldn't have lost that game with Scott Severin on the park. Simple as that.  Until he is replaced with a quality centre back with proper leadership/organisational skills we are going to be fucked.

Seve was a good player, but I'm not sure he is 4 goals of a difference good, if you know what i mean.

I just feel you can get away with playing an average player out of position, if you have somebody experienced enough to help them through the game.  We had lots of blank stares and shrugging shoulders at the back tonight.

I agree with that, and while he obviously doesn't really want Mulgrew at the back, Mulgrew at least would (or should) understand the positional part of things better.

Seve was a good player, but I'm not sure he is 4 goals of a difference good, if you know what i mean.

Against a team that honestly looked no better to me than a Motherwell or Dundee United I think he would have Bobby.

I have seen very few players who I'd say were 4 goals of a difference in a match.  Fair enough, I wasn't at the game tonight, but Seve played in his fair share of poundings for us over the years too from the likes of United and Motherwell.

But Bobby most of the goals were mis placed passes or simply not watching a man running past them. It was embarassing to watch.

But Bobby most of the goals were mis placed passes or simply not watching a man running past them. It was embarassing to watch.

So Seve playing would make others pass the ball better? Come on Bobo, the guy was a good player but he was no Willie Miller.

We needed somebody who knew what the fuck they were supposed to be doing at the back.  Somebody to help Duff and/or Young through the game. We didn't have that tonight.

We've needed that since Anderson and Hart left, in my opinion.

So Seve playing would make others pass the ball better? Come on Bobo, the guy was a good player but he was no Willie Miller.

We've needed that since Anderson and Hart left, in my opinion.

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. I was referring to Seve playing instead of Duff. Duff caused so much panic with misplaced passes and not following the man running past him. I've already said once tonight that hindsight is a wonderful thing but really we probably would have looked more confident with Crawford at right back tonight.

Feel sorry for McGhee in a way as he has been left with some absolute dross to work with some of whom it was seen fit to give contract extensions to recently. However this does not excuse playing 433 tonight. It was cear on Saturday that the players we have cannot play this system and he should not have used it tonight especially when zander was ruled out.

aberdeen's 4-3-3

:o

???        ???          ???          ???

???            ???            ???

AKA  Shite!

aberdeen's 4-3-3

:o

???         ???          ???           ???

AKA  Shite!

:lolabove:

We should get a smiley added to represent a headless chicken!

Calderwood who was a supposed tactical disaster knew how to defend when needed and attack when the opportunity was there. His tactics were fluid and it was fucking frustrating but at least he/we knew he could change his tactics. McGhee hasn't got a fucking clue.

I would bet my hoose that if JC was still here with the same players at his disposal that we wouldnae have been horsed 5-1, would probably have been a boring, stifling 0-0 draw though...

I would bet my hoose that if JC was still here with the same players at his disposal that we wouldnae have been horsed 5-1, would probably have been a boring, stifling 0-0 draw though...

Yeah but at least we get exciting football now.  Six goal thriller every week and we'll be laughing. 

Or crying.