Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McGhee Must Go

I think this thread is a tad hasty, No one can defend the result and I was all for Mike Newell but to be fair I don't think McGhee's done a lot wrong.

He put faith in Mackie and Miller up front, realised this was a bloody stupid idea and pulled Mackie, I'd imagine he'll struggle for the first 11 now. Lets face it JC would have pulled miller and put on someone randomly to confuse us.

Aluko also strutted around as though he'd made it doing piss all to help the team, again spot on to change him.

The real problem was lack of depth, shown by the bench. The back 4 whilst inept were probably the only volunteers from the squad. Consi had a bad game but he was trying to organise the other 3 as well.

Kerr is never a skipper, not vocal enough and when he got the ball looked for the pass back instead of driving forward and spurring the team on. A tidy footballer but not an inspiration.

In conclusion, we need our 2 CB's fit, a new full back or 2 ( ricky did well at LB IMO ) and a proper striker. Mulgrew should stay LB as his control was crap on thursday and showed he's not up to midfield. I suppose you could say McGhee should have sorted these positions already but he's tried to put faith in a team who can't be trusted on big nights and this really is his only but MASSIVE error.

p.s Was I the only one that thinks Clangers really failed to marshall the defence and dropped us in it a couple of times by sticking to his line when it was obviously his ball. Made some good saves in game but really needs to tidy up the bread and butter stuff. Still a bombscare, was like tynecastle v's utd all over for 1st half

What makes this thread so hasty? We have a far too long a history of calling for heads after one bad cup result, so why should this be any different? And to claim that McGhee hasn't done a lot wrong is just nonsence, he even said himself that he got it wrong on Thursday night.

Miller and Mackie upfront didn't do anything, but I don't think I remember a single occasion when they had any service too do anything, and despite not managing a single shot on goal, I think we're all in argreement that it's not up front where all the problems lie. Aluko managed nothing, but as their manager said before the game, he's our most dangerous player, and they marked him out the game, and he just couldn't shake them, if anything he should have came off earlier.

Despite it being the poorest back 4 anybodys ever seen, it was set up the completely wrong way, Stevie Wonder sould see that a defence that shakey needed more support from midfield, and not a 3-man midfield pushing up to attack.

Agree about Kerr, McDonald should be the new captian IMO.

I think we need a whole new back 4. Mulgrew can't defend, and in midfield he didn't look any better, yes, he can hit a decent free kick every now and then, but 6 or so a season, we can't really afford passengers like that in our team. On his day Foster can look like a half decent full back, but looks better when he pushes up a little. Considine is a liability. Diamond is a good centre half, but we need cover for him too.

And this team that "can't be trusted on big nights", are you suggesting that Sigma Olomouc are somehow bigger or better than Hertha, Dnipro, Lokomotive, Copenhagen or Bayern, to name the last 5 European teams who've came to Pittodrie and not managed to win.

Didn't think Langfield had that bad a game, not one for the scrapbook, but with the defence the way it was he did alright.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth are you bringing Hertha into it Dave? The team that played Hertha is almost completely different You can not deny that this side is one that bottles it when it has to win. The Euro performances were very good, but no one expected much if anything at all.  As soon as we "expect" in the "big" domestic games, they bottled it, and you can not deny that.

Why on earth are you bringing Hertha into it Dave? The team that played Hertha is almost completely different You can not deny that this side is one that bottles it when it has to win. The Euro performances were very good, but no one expected much if anything at all.  As soon as we "expect" in the "big" domestic games, they bottled it, and you can not deny that.

Cause there's a Hertha Scarf on my wall infront of me. But agreed, not really relevant. But what about the end of last season, where we had to grind out some results to get into europe and they did it. The expectations on Thursday were pretty similar to against Dnipro. We didn't know much about them, but the plan was to just keep it tight, something we managed to spectaularly mess up on Thursday.

If anything, our current team likes to bottle it when we are playing dross, see: Hamilton, Falkirk, QoTS, Dumfermline, et. all

We've had some decent results against the OF and Hearts.

Cause there's a Hertha Scarf on my wall infront of me. But agreed, not really relevant. But what about the end of last season, where we had to grind out some results to get into europe and they did it. The expectations on Thursday were pretty similar to against Dnipro. We didn't know much about them, but the plan was to just keep it tight, something we managed to spectaularly mess up on Thursday.

If anything, our current team likes to bottle it when we are playing dross, see: Hamilton, Falkirk, QoTS, Dumfermline, et. all

We've had some decent results against the OF and Hearts.

One thing I'd say for JC is that he knew how to set out a side to grind out a result as you say, that is very true. But we bottled it when something tangible was at steak. The semi finals, the chance to go second in the league over Christmas when we lost to the huns etc. And to be fair, there's nothing more frustrating beating the top dogs when you then go and lose to Hamilton, Falkirk and the likes.

See, I agree, JC generally knew how to set the team up not to lose, however, that was generally on occassions were weren't expected to win, which is something you raised BB. I agree with it. We only perform when there is no pressure on the team, i.e. underdogs. As you quite rightly said, we performed in Europe because we were not expected to make it out of the Dnipro game. I mean, even Brazil  ::) lost 5-0 at home...

But when things are expected of us, even JC couldn't tackle the problem of the players hiding or something going wrong. I have no idea why this happens, maybe its due to the lack of a strong vocal character on the park, but it certainly isn't something new. The same thing happened on Thursday that has been happening in all of JC's teams. Granted, JC isn't the manager anymore, but those players were still his and MM needs to find out a way and quickly how to change their trail of thought. I'm in full agreement that the defence needs sorting out, and as I said earlier, we need 3 defenders, 4 if we could really afford it.

One thing I'd say for JC is that he knew how to set out a side to grind out a result as you say, that is very true. But we bottled it when something tangible was at steak. The semi finals, the chance to go second in the league over Christmas when we lost to the huns etc. And to be fair, there's nothing more frustrating beating the top dogs when you then go and lose to Hamilton, Falkirk and the likes.

The strange thing is, he managed it with Dunfermline, no bottle issues there.  :-\

See, I agree, JC generally knew how to set the team up not to lose, however, that was generally on occassions were weren't expected to win, which is something you raised BB. I agree with it. We only perform when there is no pressure on the team, i.e. underdogs. As you quite rightly said, we performed in Europe because we were not expected to make it out of the Dnipro game. I mean, even Brazil  ::) lost 5-0 at home...

But when things are expected of us, even JC couldn't tackle the problem of the players hiding or something going wrong. I have no idea why this happens, maybe its due to the lack of a strong vocal character on the park, but it certainly isn't something new. The same thing happened on Thursday that has been happening in all of JC's teams. Granted, JC isn't the manager anymore, but those players were still his and MM needs to find out a way and quickly how to change their trail of thought. I'm in full agreement that the defence needs sorting out, and as I said earlier, we need 3 defenders, 4 if we could really afford it.

We are not good enough, we probably never will be!

We cannot pay the wages for consistency of mental and physical application and skill. And that particular situation has worsened considerably,

We are not good enough, we probably never will be!

We cannot pay the wages for consistency of mental and physical application and skill. And that particular situation has worsened considerably,

we CHOOSE not to pay the wages.

People can stick the "financially viable club" argument up their hoop. Every single club in existence is funded by someone, ours is trying to be self funding whilst providing us with a shit product.

The club will continue - if you want to watch 3rd division pish in Dons shirts....

I want some on field investment, the last 18 months are proof the current "business" model ain't working.

People can stick the "financially viable club" argument up their hoop. Every single club in existence is funded by someone, ours is trying to be self funding whilst providing us with a shit product.

The club will continue - if you want to watch 3rd division pish in Dons shirts....

I want some on field investment, the last 18 months are proof the current "business" model ain't working.

Incorrect - we've invested £1,000,000 in a new management team  :thumbsup:

The business model is indeed flawed but we do still continue to pay better wages than the majority of the league.

It just isn't enough.

The investment required is a very sobering thought for any chairman. I mean, imagine having to shift 700k on a new management team, that would put the shites up me when the team requires heavy investment.

The business model is indeed flawed but we do still continue to pay better wages than the majority of the league.

It just isn't enough.

The investment required is a very sobering thought for any chairman. I mean, imagine having to shift 700k on a new management team, that would put the shites up me when the team requires heavy investment.

We might pay better than some of the league, but I can't imagine us winning races to sign players against Hearts, Hibs, United or the infirm.

Yet the expectation of the board is to out perform the first 3 I mentioned.

And the expectation of the bulk of fans is to out perform at least 4 of those.

Not without hands in pockets, if Wiggy won't, can't, doesn't want to, it's time for him to find someone who will.

Without a decent team on the pitch we are going backwards.

We might pay better than some of the league, but I can't imagine us winning races to sign players against Hearts, Hibs, United or the infirm.

Yet the expectation of the board is to out perform the first 3 I mentioned.

And the expectation of the bulk of fans is to out perform at least 4 of those.

Not without hands in pockets, if Wiggy won't, can't, doesn't want to, it's time for him to find someone who will.

Without a decent team on the pitch we are going backwards.

Really?  If you're a multi millionaire, or someone who represents a multi millionaire or a group of them, do you really need Stewart Milne to tell you what sort of state Aberdeen FC is in and that they'd welcome your money?  Anyone who is interested in buying into football will know Aberdeen need a jump start and then some. It's a tough gig though, isn't it? 

This is what I don't get about our fans... we have fans screaming about how Willie Miller doesn't go out looking for new investment. His job title is "Director of Football". Duncan Fraser's is "Director of Finance" (or something similar). So why would Willie go looking for that? Yet he gets pelters for it. Now Milne is supposed to howk the club around Millionaires Row where everyone knows that both the club and Milne are skint (on paper, at least, for Milne) and would invariably end up selling the club for fuck all and likely lose even more cash.... are people living in the real world here?

Of course they are not living in the real world. The current financial climate seems to have no bearing on most of the idiots who thought it was a good idea to get rid of Calderwood.

Who in their right mind would invest in a provincial football team like Aberdeen?

I am afraid that Milne is the best we have got for the time being and there isn't much we can do about it. (of course by me saying that that must mean that I think Milne is god  ::) )

Not one single person outside the boardroom has a fucking clue what Milne does for the club. He's just another convenient scapegoat.

Not one single person outside the boardroom has a fucking clue what Milne does for the club. He's just another convenient scapegoat.

Same with Miller's role. The club's fortunes have changed dramatically since he came in and the Youth set-up is now something actually worth talking about it seems, but that's not good enough for folk.  Miller appointed the right man in JC to get us back to an acceptable position but one result means he has to go, even though he has no say over team selection or tactics, and no say on who we sign essentially.

One result?

The sense in binning a manager and bringing one in for 700k then leaving not enough for team development merits some sort of debate doesn't it?

Eh? I'm talking about the people on a certain site who bang on about his position after every single poor result for AFC. Not just Thursday's.

Same with Miller's role. The club's fortunes have changed dramatically since he came in and the Youth set-up is now something actually worth talking about it seems, but that's not good enough for folk.  Miller appointed the right man in JC to get us back to an acceptable position but one result means he has to go, even though he has no say over team selection or tactics, and no say on who we sign essentially.

One result?

The sense in binning a manager and bringing one in for 700k then leaving not enough for team development merits some sort of debate doesn't it?

I read the article in the P&J about Wiggy giving money to McGhee to sign some players following the Sigma shambles. Whilst it's probably a case of throwing money at a cause that is already lost, I applaud Wiggy.

The Dons have no money whatsoever, and our chairman is in the contruction business - a sector that is still suffering heavily from the recession. For Wiggy to find cash when neither the SPL TV deal nor his own construction business can find so much as a spare penny is commendable.

Lets hope McGhee doesn't spend sixteen weeks on one player. Seems he had all his eggs in the Plymouth Argyle basket previously, which was a stupid thing to do. Mark, use that cash wisely, but use it QUICKLY. We need cover for Thursday night!