Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

McGhee Must Go

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one and only time he did it.

Clark is/was a superb tackler, he didn't do it often enough particularly in the middle of the park. He had a shot when he had the notion too but yet again seemed to lack conviction with it. A player I very much liked though.

Total agreement BB btw the way.

Clark wasn't much cop as a centre midfielder in a 4-4-2. However I think he'd be perfect as 'the worker' in a 4-3-3. Clark was brilliant at harrying the opposition and winning the ball, the problem was he was too scared to do anything with it afterwards because the fans got on his back. I'd love to still have him here.

He HAS money and no-one has came in, a mistake he has already admitted to.

Jimmy aimed high at signings and got some, McGhee aimed high, but hasn't got them, it's clear both Jimmy and Mark realise we need players of a certain calibre which the board are not willing to match.

We are going to rot with this policy.

We haven't replaced Hart, Anderson, McNaughton, Seve, ...I'm sure the list goes on.

As I said we need atleast 2, probably 3 defenders, and that's before we worry about our strike force.

But then we have needed 2 defenders ever since Hart and Anderson left, so I'm not holding my breath.

It's tragic really, innit...

Anderson was a good, generally solid defender. He wasn't even a regular Scotland international though, let alone world-class.

It is only the relative paucity of ability on show since he's left that makes him seem like he was a much better player than he ever was...

Sigh...

:(

I always thought Clark was a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none. He could play just about anywhere across the defence and midfield yet struggled to make a position his own.

Maybury, in my opinion, was a stronger right back than Hart.

The squad needs investment and quickly. It's only so long that you can lose important players and get away with it and with Severin leaving (a hoor of a good midfielder and an adequate center back on his day), I think the squad has finally been pushed to its limit. The board has never invested strongly in the squad, instead prefering stop gap, poorer replacements in the likes of Mair, Young, JDV etc. The squad needs at least 3 defenders and a couple of midfielders at least and unless they loosen the purse strings (which is more difficult than ever at this point in time), then next season could see the loss of further important players such as Miller, Kerr, and McDonald.

I always thought Clark was a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none. He could play just about anywhere across the defence and midfield yet struggled to make a position his own.

Maybury, in my opinion, was a stronger right back than Hart.

The squad needs investment and quickly. It's only so long that you can lose important players and get away with it and with Severin leaving (a hoor of a good midfielder and an adequate center back on his day), I think the squad has finally been pushed to its limit. The board has never invested strongly in the squad, instead prefering stop gap, poorer replacements in the likes of Mair, Young, JDV etc. The squad needs at least 3 defenders and a couple of midfielders at least and unless they loosen the purse strings (which is more difficult than ever at this point in time), then next season could see the loss of further important players such as Miller, Kerr, and McDonald.

I would suggest that Aluko, MacDonald, Kerr and possibly even Mulgrew were good additions who may bring different skills to the likes of Clark, Nicholson and Severin but are not obviously poorer replacements. I do agree, however, that defensively we have not replaced good players.

I would suggest that Aluko, MacDonald, Kerr and possibly even Mulgrew were good additions who may bring different skills to the likes of Clark, Nicholson and Severin but are not obviously poorer replacements. I do agree, however, that defensively we have not replaced good players.

Indeed. I am a big fan of the Kerr/McDonald partnership in the middle. Very much in the same mould as Severin and Nicholson. Obviously we have been lucky that the manager at the time could pick up and persuade the likes of Kerr, McDonald, Aluko and Mulgrew to come to Aberdeen on bosmans or for small fees. These players are of the same quality and have helped replace the likes of Clark, Nicholson and McNaughton.

However, defensively, money has not been spent. Even going as far back as not replacing Heikkinen and from then on, it's been a steady stream of defenders leaving the club and not being replaced, Anderson, Hart, even Maybury! He was a perfect replacement, chose not to come here and now we're left with the likes of Foster, Duff, Considine and Young for a defence. It is an indictment of the defence when Diamond, a 21 year old who is still yet to fufill his early potential, is our best defender.

Last night was the result of a threadbare and limited squad, with a new manager, trying to implement new tactics, formations and ideas whilst not suceeding.

Reinforcements are needed and needed fast.

Indeed. I am a big fan of the Kerr/McDonald partnership in the middle. Very much in the same mould as Severin and Nicholson. Obviously we have been lucky that the manager at the time could pick up and persuade the likes of Kerr, McDonald, Aluko and Mulgrew to come to Aberdeen on bosmans or for small fees. These players are of the same quality and have helped replace the likes of Clark, Nicholson and McNaughton.

However, defensively, money has not been spent. Even going as far back as not replacing Heikkinen and from then on, it's been a steady stream of defenders leaving the club and not being replaced, Anderson, Hart, even Maybury! He was a perfect replacement, chose not to come here and now we're left with the likes of Foster, Duff, Considine and Young for a defence. It is an indictment of the defence when Diamond, a 21 year old who is still yet to fufill his early potential, is our best defender.

Last night was the result of a threadbare and limited squad, with a new manager, trying to implement new tactics, formations and ideas whilst not suceeding.

Reinforcements are needed and needed fast.

IMO Nicholson was quite poor for us in the middle. Always thought his best work was done on the right side of midfield.

It's tragic really, innit...

Anderson was a good, generally solid defender. He wasn't even a regular Scotland international though, let alone world-class.

It is only the relative paucity of ability on show since he's left that makes him seem like he was a much better player than he ever was...

Sigh...

:(

I disagree totally and utterly.

Just because he wasnt in the scotland squad regularly doesnt mean a thing.  how many in form, scottish based  non old firm players regularly get a game for scotland?

IM not in the "captain marvel" mind set about anderson. however, some of the challenges he used to make within the 18 yard box were pure class.  If aN opponent player did manage to get passed one of our other defenders and hove in on goal, you used to always feel confident that Anderson would be on him getting a foot round the ball and away to safety. He sorted the back line out, martialled our defence in aconstructive manner and quite simply was our best captain in may a long year.  In time he should have been up there with Miller and Mcleish, but ah well, as long as he's having the career he dreamed of in the world of superior english football.

I disagree totally and utterly.

Just because he wasnt in the scotland squad regularly doesnt mean a thing.  how many in form, scottish based  non old firm players regularly get a game for scotland?

IM not in the "captain marvel" mind set about anderson. however, some of the challenges he used to make within the 18 yard box were pure class.  If aN opponent player did manage to get passed one of our other defenders and hove in on goal, you used to always feel confident that Anderson would be on him getting a foot round the ball and away to safety. He sorted the back line out, martialled our defence in aconstructive manner and quite simply was our best captain in may a long year.  In time he should have been up there with Miller and Mcleish, but ah well, as long as he's having the career he dreamed of in the world of superior english football.

That was a move he deserved and I'm sure none of us grudged him the chance to play at a higher level.

I think this thread is a tad hasty, No one can defend the result and I was all for Mike Newell but to be fair I don't think McGhee's done a lot wrong.

He put faith in Mackie and Miller up front, realised this was a bloody stupid idea and pulled Mackie, I'd imagine he'll struggle for the first 11 now. Lets face it JC would have pulled miller and put on someone randomly to confuse us.

Aluko also strutted around as though he'd made it doing piss all to help the team, again spot on to change him.

The real problem was lack of depth, shown by the bench. The back 4 whilst inept were probably the only volunteers from the squad. Consi had a bad game but he was trying to organise the other 3 as well.

Kerr is never a skipper, not vocal enough and when he got the ball looked for the pass back instead of driving forward and spurring the team on. A tidy footballer but not an inspiration.

In conclusion, we need our 2 CB's fit, a new full back or 2 ( ricky did well at LB IMO ) and a proper striker. Mulgrew should stay LB as his control was crap on thursday and showed he's not up to midfield. I suppose you could say McGhee should have sorted these positions already but he's tried to put faith in a team who can't be trusted on big nights and this really is his only but MASSIVE error.

p.s Was I the only one that thinks Clangers really failed to marshall the defence and dropped us in it a couple of times by sticking to his line when it was obviously his ball. Made some good saves in game but really needs to tidy up the bread and butter stuff. Still a bombscare, was like tynecastle v's utd all over for 1st half

If Calderwood had played foster/mackie/duff/young even in position for some of them i would have been calling him a useless fuck.

And i know McGhee needs a chance but surly he knows about these players ability's and has seen them enough to know even in position at best they are average.

I dont think he will get any more funds now as there were not much going about when Milne was making millions in profit from his homes before the construction industry basically crashed.

We cant compete with English second division teams now transfer wise so the only other option as long as we are still regarded as a bigish team in Scotland is to try and get players from other teams like

Killie/Hibs/Dundee/Motherwell etc etc.  Or cant we compete with them also

What i am saying is its basically MONEY that is the problem but failing that use the big team strategy for getting players from other Scottish teams

From   To   Name   P   W   D   L   Win%[55]   Ref  

1903 1924  Philip, JimmyJimmy Philip 644 221 172 251 34.32% [56]

1924 1937  Travers, PaddyPaddy Travers 474 214 106 154 45.15% [56]

1937 1955  Halliday, DaveDave Halliday 371 165 71 135 44.47% [56]

1955 1959  Shaw, DavieDavie Shaw 148 66 20 62 44.59% [56]

1959 1965  Pearson, TommyTommy Pearson 180 66 42 72 36.67% [56]

1965 1971  Turnbull, EddieEddie Turnbull 216 101 43 72 46.75% [56]

1971 1975  Bonthrone, JimmyJimmy Bonthrone 143 67 46 30 46.85% [56]

1975 1977  MacLeod, AllyAlly MacLeod 61 24 19 18 39.34% [56]

1977 1978  McNeill, BillyBilly McNeill 36 22 9 5 61.11% [56]

1978 1986  Ferguson, AlexAlex Ferguson 288 167 71 50 57.99% [56]

1986 1986  Ferguson, AlexAlex Ferguson

Knox, ArchieArchie Knox 15 7 5 3 46.67% [56]

1986 1988  Porterfield, IanIan Porterfield 71 35 27 9 49.30% [56]

1988 1991  Scott, JockyJocky Scott

Smith, AlexAlex Smith 117 63 35 19 53.85% [56]

1991 1992  Smith, AlexAlex Smith 23 7 7 9 30.43% [56]

1992 1995  Miller, WillieWillie Miller 124 53 45 26 42.47% [56]

1995 1997  Aitken, RoyRoy Aitken 124 50 31 43 40.32% [57]

1997 1998  Miller, AlexAlex Miller 43 11 13 19 25.58% [58]

1999 2002  Skovdahl, EbbeEbbe Skovdahl 159 54 37 68 33.96% [59]

2002 2004  Paterson, SteveSteve Paterson 68 23 13 32 33.82% [60]

2004 2009  Calderwood, JimmyJimmy Calderwood 227 94 60 73 41.41% [61]

2009 –  McGhee, MarkMark McGhee2 0 0 2 0% [62]

i WONDER WHAT EVERYONE ELSES STATS WERE IN FIRST COUPLE OF GAMES ? HE HASNT STARTED WELL HAS HE

Surely you don't begrudge him that move do you capitalsharpie?!? He deserved that move, and its a shame it hasn't worked out for him. But hopefully, the board realise now really is the time to replace him and hopefully Hart as well! Otherwise its going to be one helluva season for all the wrong reasons.

I started the thread to point out to the Jimmy haters that all that is wrong with AFC is the board and chairman, not the current incumbent of the managers chair.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is an insane clown. I hope McGhee is a success, but it is highly unlikely with the current chairman and board.

Wiggy oot