Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Team GB

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. Especially because if they do well it'll be rubbed in our faces and used as a political message. Whereas if they lose it'll just be hilarious.

Frankly I dinna give  fuck.

Team GB (boak) is all about sponsorship and merchandising, beckhan probably has his so tied up for himsel it wasn't worth adding him.

Squad: J Allen (Swansea), C Bellamy (Liverpool), R Bertrand (Chelsea), J Butland (Birmingham), S Caulker (Tottenham), T Cleverley (Manchester United), J Cork (Southampton), C Dawson (West Brom), R Giggs (Manchester United), A Ramsey (Arsenal), M Richards (Manchester City), D Rose (Tottenham), S Sinclair (Swansea), M Sordell (Bolton), J Steele (Middlesbrough), D Sturridge (Chelsea), N Taylor (Swansea), J Tomkins (West Ham)

• 1 month later...

Pannelists on BBC saying that Team GB should be a permanent fixture.

For what reason though? Scotland and Wales would certainly be dead against and its not like the four countries together would make a difference compared to the current English team.

can see an argument for the gb women's team to share resources and increase participation until the constituent nations are able to compete individually, but the gb men's team would only make sense if professional players weren't allowed to take part. the olympics are about people who want to get the best out of their own performance. Not many in men's professional gb football fit that bill.

i love football and i love the olympics but the men's football has been totally unwatchable. i don't know how i put up with lawro and the rest throughout the season (lack of alternative probably), but the analysts for the other olympic sports are so knowledgeable and interesting that football coverage looks even more utterly amateur.

And the point goes deeper than media coverage. Club management is a revolving door of jobs for the boys, compared to the cycling team for eg, who are all about the science and optimising the tiniest of details. The elite athletes are dedicated to getting the absolute best out of themselves, while footballers have shyster agents negotiating ridiculous wages for doing comparatively little work.

Football is so undeserving of the money and status it's got that it's actually a bit embarrassing.

Pumping loads and loads of money into minority sports so we can feel superior?

The jingoism has been an unfortunate distraction from a lot of positives, and the olympics have highlighted how inaccesible certain events are out with the elite. The government should be pressured to invest, rather than their plans to make sports even less accessable.

A somalian assylum seeker, mixed race girl from Sheffield, lots of Scots winning medals and people from around the world getting rewards from hard work - if there's going to be investment in sport then that's where it should be to benefit society and get kids active. It shouldn't be in an industry like football that only encourages people to buy sky, go to the pub and basically be a scumbag.

Fuck me that's a glass-half-empty way of thinking about it. The more money that's in any "minority" sport is a good thing IMO my opinion. Surely that encourages participation or even enables participation.

Fuck me that's a glass-half-empty way of thinking about it. The more money that's in any "minority" sport is a good thing IMO my opinion. Surely that encourages participation or even enables participation.

Don't get me wrong I think it's amazing what British Cycling and others have done, I just feel that from a government point of view alot of this was aimed at making us look good rather than any real desire to improve the nations health and wellbeing.  If they were they would put real money into grass roots and more importantly facilities which everyone and anyone could access.

There are promising signs that many have taken inspiration from these games but there is little evidence to suggest these boosts are anything other than short term following Olympics.

Time will tell.

I'm not necessarily talking about Team GB or any particular nation.  People who devote themselves to sporting excellence as opposed to undereducated but talented people who spend equal time in the bookies as they do on the training pitch, spending money paid to them from clubs in debt which in turn comes from Sky TV subscription and advertising money, which comes from us anyway.  Regardless of whether it comes from the govt or the private sector, it invariably comes from us.

And anyway, the bit in bold just kind of confirms the type of attitude that pervades in this country (UK).  What sports aren't considered "minority"?  Football, Rugby (Union & League), Golf, Swimming?  I would argue that Tennis is a minority sport, in terms of participation at least, especially in Scotland.  More people play badminton.

If we're using cycling as the example here - is cycling really a minority sport?  I would expect everybody here can ride a bike.  I imagine most of us own a bike and I suspect that a great number of kids and young adults will be inspired by the performances of the cyclists.  I personally love cycling and along with swimming (and arguably running), it is the most accessible sport imaginable to people of all ages.

I'm not necessarily talking about Team GB or any particular nation.  People who devote themselves to sporting excellence as opposed to undereducated but talented people who spend equal time in the bookies as they do on the training pitch, spending money paid to them from clubs in debt which in turn comes from Sky TV subscription and advertising money, which comes from us anyway.  Regardless of whether it comes from the govt or the private sector, it invariably comes from us.

And anyway, the bit in bold just kind of confirms the type of attitude that pervades in this country (UK).  What sports aren't considered "minority"?  Football, Rugby (Union & League), Golf, Swimming?  I would argue that Tennis is a minority sport, in terms of participation at least, especially in Scotland.  More people play badminton.

If we're using cycling as the example here - is cycling really a minority sport?  I would expect everybody here can ride a bike.  I imagine most of us own a bike and I suspect that a great number of kids and young adults will be inspired by the performances of the cyclists.  I personally love cycling and along with swimming (and arguably running), it is the most accessible sport imaginable to people of all ages.

I quite agree, my use of minority sports was in the widely used form to describe pretty much everything except football, perhaps I should have put it in italics or add (sic).

I'm not knocking any of the sportsman or the massive achievements this last wk or so, it's been bloody brilliant. I'm just cynical about the way the govt have been pushing cash towards certain sports, sports that will get very little from the punter on a regular basis and their motives behind it