Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

P&J: Aberdeen face prospect of a hectic summer ahead

Aberdeen face prospect of a hectic summer ahead

pre-season tour to austria or switzerland on cards for dons

By Paul Third

Published: 19/05/2009

Aberdeen could be heading for Austria or Switzerland for their pre-season tour if they qualify for European competition.

The Dons must beat Hibernian at Pittodrie on Sunday and hope rivals Dundee United lose at home to Rangers if they are to claim a place in the Europa League.

If Aberdeen do earn a return to Uefa competition, they face a hectic summer of football if they are to qualify for the group stages.

Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood said: “At the moment we are looking at coming back on June 22 if we are in Europe and July 2 if we are not.

“Austria is a possibility at the moment for pre-season. We usually go to Holland, but there will be no competitive games for us, which we would need if we were tuning up for Europe.

“Teams from Austria and the Republic of Ireland will be in the middle of their domestic season, but with Switzerland close by we may get the chance to play a couple of games there, too.

“It will depend on whether we get into Europe and what the finances are, but I want the best-quality opposition available if we make it.

“If we get into Europe the players will be back in pre-season training in Aberdeen for a week to 10 days before heading off somewhere to prepare for the Europa League qualifiers.

“It’s not ideal, but, hopefully, it will be a pleasant problem for us to deal with after Sunday.â€

The Scottish Cup winners will join the competition at the play-off round next season on August 20.

However, if Rangers beat Falkirk in the cup final at Hampden on May 30, Hearts will take the play-off round place with the Bairns beginning their campaign in Europe at the second qualifying round stage on July 16.

Aberdeen or Dundee United will start their campaign on July 30 if Rangers win the cup, with the team qualifying via the place awarded to the SPL by Uefa due to fair play beginning on July 2.

Motherwell are the club on course to earn the reward, with either St Mirren or Hibernian ready to take their place depending on the final fair play ranking points at the end of the campaign.

EUROPA LEAGUE

IF RANGERS WIN SCOTTISH CUP

July 2 – First qualifying round. SPL fair play representative.

July 16 – Second qualifying round. Falkirk.

July 30 – Third qualifying r ound. Dundee United or Aberdeen

August 20 – Play-off round. Hearts.

IF FALKIRK WIN SCOTTISH CUP

July 2 – First qualifying round. SPL fair play representative.

July 16 - Second qualifying round. Dundee United or Aberdeen.

July 30 - Third qualifying round. Hearts.

August 20 – Play-off round. Falkirk.

Austria is a possibility at the moment for pre-season. We usually go to Holland, but there will be no competitive games for us, which we would need if we were tuning up for Europe.

And why wouldn't we need competitive games if we were tuning up for the SPL? Or are our notoriously bad starts acceptable if it means you get to go visit your friends and family in Holland on company time?

Just think if we had some competitive matches last pre-season instead or arseing about horsing Dutch pub teams 10 - 0 fielding youth team players we might have picked up some points against, Caley, Hamilton, Scumdee Utd and Hibs at home. Also St Mirren and Motherwell away, in the first couple of months of the season. THEN we might have had 3rd sewn up and this story would never have needed to be written.

And why wouldn't we need competitive games if we were tuning up for the SPL? Or are our notoriously bad starts acceptable if it means you get to go visit your friends and family in Holland on company time?

Just think if we had some competitive matches last pre-season instead or arseing about horsing Dutch pub teams 10 - 0 fielding youth team players we might have picked up some points against, Caley, Hamilton, Scumdee Utd and Hibs at home. Also St Mirren and Motherwell away, in the first couple of months of the season. THEN we might have had 3rd sewn up and this story would never have needed to be written.

We beat Motherwell away? I remember because I was hammered and Tommy Wright ran across half the pitch to make a tackle. I think Mulgrew scored a free kick? But sorry, i'm just nit picking, I agree with your sentiments but I think maybe Calderwood realises this, hence going to a country where they will already be playing competitive football. Our poor starts are pathetic, and we haven't even finished strongly this season.

We would be playing competitive friendlies, only later if we don't qualify for Europe.

Wasn't beating Vitesse Arnham a pretty good pre-season result? Hardly a pub team?

Wasn't beating Vitesse Arnham a pretty good pre-season result? Hardly a pub team?

According to their fans at the game team we beat was a mixture of fringe and youth players. No idea if that is right or not but was what they said at the time.

According to their fans at the game team we beat was a mixture of fringe and youth players. No idea if that is right or not but was what they said at the time.

Ah, fair enough, I missed my flight to Holland anyway  :-\

Switzerland is the possibly the best country in Europe  :thumbsup:

As others have mentioned it would be interesting to see how we started the spl after such an early europa start.  We need to get into it first though.  There is no guarantee that utd will lose to the huns (they havnt lost to the gruesome twosome at home this season) nor that we will beat a hibs side that is surely high on confidence particularily in defence.

As others have mentioned it would be interesting to see how we started the spl after such an early europa start.  We need to get into it first though.  There is no guarantee that utd will lose to the huns (they havnt lost to the gruesome twosome at this season) nor that we will beat a hibs side that is surely high on confidence particularily in defence.

United had a great showing against Celtic midweek before getting pumped by Hearts. I'm sure it's happened to us before as well where we get a good result against the Old Firm only to fall flat on our faces the following week. I don't know if that can be said for most SPL sides, I'm probably clutching at straws.

United had a great showing against Celtic midweek before getting pumped by Hearts. I'm sure it's happened to us before as well where we get a good result against the Old Firm only to fall flat on our faces the following week. I don't know if that can be said for most SPL sides, I'm probably clutching at straws.

Clutch away, until its impossible keep the faith, however unlikely!  :thumbsup:

As others have mentioned it would be interesting to see how we started the spl after such an early europa start.  We need to get into it first though.  There is no guarantee that utd will lose to the huns (they havnt lost to the gruesome twosome at this season) nor that we will beat a hibs side that is surely high on confidence particularily in defence.

Myth.

My bad that was meant to read "at home this season"

they havent lost to them at tannadice since April 1st 2006

But do either of them have the bottle to get the result they require when it goes to the wire.

United need only a draw. Huns need a win unless the jambos aint in holiday mood

• 2 weeks later...

Austria confirmed

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1237839

ABERDEEN FC will have a pre-season tour of Austria in place – before they appoint their new boss.

Aberdeen FC director of football Willie Miller revealed the club have been working tirelessly to ensure everything is in place for the new boss.

And they will go on a foreign tour, regardless of who takes over the Pittodrie hot-seat.

You would think they would like to finish pre-season a week prior to the 16th. Therefore last game on the 8th of July, plane back and off to T in the park on the 9th  :wino:

Naa, I've heard that Kerr and Co are banned from all social gathering's after the royal rumble on Belmont street.